nvmedigrower

the dubble edged sord

8 posts in this topic

so i was doing a bit of lite reading and stumbled apon some interesting facts. in america marijuana is a schedule 1 drug. same a heroin. claiming it has no medicinal benifits. but i found out that the us government has multiple patent on marijuana for medical use http://patft.uspto.gov/netacgi/nph-Parser?Sect1=PTO2&Sect2=HITOFF&p=1&u=%2Fnetahtml%2FPTO%2Fsearch-bool.html&r=3&f=G&l=50&co1=AND&d=PTXT&s1=6630507&OS=6630507&RS=6630507.  here is one part i really liked. so when the dea claims there is no proof that marijuana can benifit medical patients. WOW i think that is oxi moron. this one little plant cand do so much more than heal our sick friends family and any one else who would like to consume it. if it didnt work why would that make sativx and other synthesized versions.  oh wait because big pharma would loose profits. any way thought id share. 

2016-08-13-00-27-12.png

2016-08-13-00-27-52.png

It's a nice and well played game that's for sure and only now but not yet wide spread enough, only now we see the stupidity of it all!

As long as the government hold the patents, then they hold the patent-rights to exclusivity, against others using the same patented techniques and applications.  Since the government also holds the rights to legislation regarding cannabis and regarding patents, the circle of monopoly is closed.

Found THIS ARTICLE on the topic. Actually breeders don't need to patent their strains but rather secure them in the public domain to avoid large corporations patenting and actually stealing them... 

What do you think ?

10 hours ago, Marco3 said:

Found THIS ARTICLE on the topic. Actually breeders don't need to patent their strains but rather secure them in the public domain to avoid large corporations patenting and actually stealing them... 

What do you think ?

If large corporations with government backing want to steal patents, they will without blinking an eye.  The presumably relatively shallow pocketed breeder will likely loose any fight, through lack of cash to progress with their case.  It'd be like taking a pocket knife to a gun fight.

15 hours ago, ShaggyGrower said:

If large corporations with government backing want to steal patents, they will without blinking an eye.  The presumably relatively shallow pocketed breeder will likely loose any fight, through lack of cash to progress with their case.  It'd be like taking a pocket knife to a gun fight.

Did you read the article? 

It's not about "stealing patents". You can't steal a patent.

It's about securing existing strains in the public domain so that patents can't be issued, and better, become irrelevant all together

6 hours ago, Marco3 said:

Did you read the article? 

It's not about "stealing patents". You can't steal a patent.

It's about securing existing strains in the public domain so that patents can't be issued, and better, become irrelevant all together

I view 'utility patents', the ones the article describes as "The first cannabis patents issued by the USPTO are the kind of overly broad patent protection that kills innovation instead of incentivizing it. They’re called utility patents, and they don’t cover single varieties: they cover huge categories of cannabis. Which means that just a handful of such patents could potentially lock up all of cannabis.””, as theft patents - overly broad patents that steal others patentable (single strain) property.

So, in context, I view the issuing of overly broad utility patents by government to big companies as par for the course, not good for the industry or individual strain breeders, but likely to happen, as per some of the worry expressed  in the article which hopefully we are now on the same page on? If not, not to worry.

1 person likes this

On 29/04/2018 at 1:54 AM, ShaggyGrower said:

I view 'utility patents', the ones the article describes as "The first cannabis patents issued by the USPTO are the kind of overly broad patent protection that kills innovation instead of incentivizing it. They’re called utility patents, and they don’t cover single varieties: they cover huge categories of cannabis. Which means that just a handful of such patents could potentially lock up all of cannabis.””, as theft patents - overly broad patents that steal others patentable (single strain) property.

So, in context, I view the issuing of overly broad utility patents by government to big companies as par for the course, not good for the industry or individual strain breeders, but likely to happen, as per some of the worry expressed  in the article which hopefully we are now on the same page on? If not, not to worry.

Absolutely. We are 100% on the same page. And yes if large corporations with the support of government want to confiscate cultivars, they will likely be able to do so... sadly.

To me, the most effective approach is to make it financially irrelevant. If we stay in a world where so many strain exist that the ROI of a patent is negative, no patent will be applied for. This seems only possible in a context of many public domain strains in the first place