storing seeds

Xmoon

Xmoon,

That is a very good question, and your question might generate a number of replies from a few members.

There are differing opinions.

Some store seeds in a refrigerator, some have suggested using a freezer.

I use neither.  I simply keep my seeds dry and in the dark at nearly constant temperature around 18 to 23°C. 

When I receive seeds from seedbanks, I try to keep them in their original packages until they are used.

If I am lucky enough to have a large harvest of seeds from a pollinated female plant (some would say that is unluck), after I have separated them from the flowers, I allow them to dry-out for a week or two.  Then I mix-up a very weak solution of anti-fungus spray and I mist the seeds and allow them to dry-out again for a couple weeks.  Then I store them in a tin box. 

For smaller numbers of seeds, I use simple small plastic parts bags (similar to Zip-Locks).

I have heard that MJ seeds can survive relatively long periods (maybe 10 years).  I have been storing some of mine so far for 3 years without noticing any germination problems.

I look forward to hearing the opinions and methods of others as well.

• 2 months later...

The lifetime of a seed can also vary due to storage, I use to germinate seeds 5 years after collecting them as well as trying to sprout fresh seeds that never saw day light...

I generally keep my seeds in ziplock bag, dry in an old jacket pocket so it stays in the dark till use.