Ever tried?

Croc

I am wondering if anyone ever tried to grow a proper tree cannabis plant, like growing in it for 2 years in veg just to see what kind of plant we can get then flower it... 

It would have to be an indoor growing operation obviously.

I try to make some research but aside from the big plants that are grown outdoors in California or Colorado... still even they grow enormous, they still look like a plant not a tree... 

i would be delighted to try it if only I had the facility to do so...

Croc

Hello Croc,

i remember seeing some photos of huge and old cannabis trees in the himalaya i believe it was some abandonned field where the plant had grown wildly for years, one of them was looking  like proper tree with huge trunk and all 10 15m high. Beside this in La Reunion island they have strain that van veg in outdoor 1 or 2 years before starting flowering, makes some pretty tall plants as well but not a tree really. Australia also has some of the biggest and widdest outdoor ihave seen before america and all the legal scene.

You could grow a plant for 2 years if you want too as a bonsai at your window justy make sure to have a light that is good for plants above her and keep her lighting on 20h always, she should stay in veg forever. The problem is they become sensitive once older, and a stress could induce flowering, but in theory not a lot will do this.

Have a good day!

• Like 1

This idea was mainly as fun project as mainly no one will be ready to think of wasting all these resources for that ?

And yes we can veg a plant forever providing you keep the veg light cycle... 

Now another question, is it possible to grow, budd and harvest, revel and re flower again? This question for sure was already asked somewhere I am sure.

And Croc, yes it is possible to grow veg, flower, partial harvest, reveg, re.grow, re-veg, again flower and again harvest, etc..  But just as Dust earlier said, these extreme processes do make the plant rather sensitive and fragile, therefore subject to failure (and thereby, waste).  But it is possible.

But just as you indicated, resources must be dedicated to the process, including time and space, both of which are usually of highest priority better used with new plants for optimum harvest or yields.

• Like 2

Mopman, if only it could someday be the reality.

"Yes, come into my home.  Oh please, here is my living room, and look....  Look at my bonsai plants, and yes, my favorite... my bonsai cannabis.  She is 15 years old and still going strong.  She's the mother to my outdoor garden as well as the greenhouse operation, and she is still going strong..."

Oh, that would be heaven on earth.

Looking forward to learning more about your future "project".:pleasantry:

• Like 3

• 1 month later...

Did someone say bonsai?!! LOL

I keep a whole bunch of bonsai mothers, as a means to repopulate my room with things I like

Yes I agree, they can flower from stress, more often than not this is due to rootbinding and starvation

If I let mine get really hungry, they will start springing hairs from everywhere, even on 18/6 lighting. You hit them with some worm castings, they go right back into veg and start throwing the single leaf reveg shit for a couple of sets

I have some that have gone two years in a 1.2L pot, really woody lower stems, like a little tree. It's super easy to keep them alright once you get the hang of it. Obviously I will recut them into new mother clones at some point as they age onwards, but they seem to be good for now

Yeah the Aussie trees were the biggest tall sativas I had seen until the US thing too, just naturally very big. Also Mao Thai can certainly get ridiculously big too in it's native land, just like a real tree

Can snap some pics of those bonsai if anyone has any interest

Cool

Pat

• Like 3

so I guess I better put my money where my mouth is

on a side note, does anyone know how I would go about placing pictures inline between text in a post instead of as a dump of attachments at the end? Can that even be done here at SH forums? Thanks for the help

now obviously if you were looking to grow a single plant in an ornamental bonsai kinda style, you may do things a little different of course, because you want a lot of plant matter and fast growth maybe, but I am simply looking to basically keep alive a bunch of mother stock with as little work or input as possible. There are possibly valid considerations as to the sustained health of the mothers when kept this way, and it is fairly vital that if they have been neglected, you nurse them back to health before attempting to grow out cuts of them. Otherwise I do not see the genetics becoming diluted from some funky starvation reveg whatever action

So yeah first and second pic is Critical+ 2.0 (Dinafem); she has been going nearly two years in that pot

third and fourth pic is Money Maker (SH); she maybe has a year and a half

fifth is an Em-Dog (HSO and B-Real); this one was a cut from last round and is still in the smallest pot, about a half liter or something

sixth is a Blue Widow (Dinafem); doing that stupid starving out, then flowering a bit as a last ditch attempt at continuing the genetic line, before being fed back to health and starting the reveg single leaf look thing I was talking about

seventh is a pic of how I keep them at this moment. The light is a 216w T5 6500K and is my early veg light, but when it has no young veggers under it I'll move the bonsais under it and kill all but one strip, taking advantage of the white spectra of the T5. So everything there is kept alive by a single 56w T5 strip basically. When they aren't under that the bonsais go under 2 x 18w T8 4000K-ish cheapo strips in a little bonsai / cloning bit I knocked together in my bedroom closet LOL they are subjected to much pruning and bending, basically I take maintenance cuts whenever required and just feed them to the worm bin most of the time. I used to do root pruning too when I started out with this style, but i found it is kinda unnecessary, even though all the bonsai guides will tell you to do that. If they get really unruly, I have literally lopped the whole two thirds off the top of plants and they have come back strong. If you need many cuts off one strain, you need to grow them out a bit obviously 

And yeah, that's a couple of little and one very big aloe vera too, also part of my regime to be used on plants, but that's a whole other thread, so let's not delve into it too deep or we'll go way off topic LOL

eighth pic is how that twisted looking Blue Widow cut grows out, in case there was concerns about plant health from cuttings that originate from mothers kept with this kind of shenanigans

fed worm castings pretty much exclusively, occasionally I will pinch a liter or two out of some sort of botanical tea like kelp or alfalfa and they will get a treat, but they need very little with so little light

hope that helps you guys get an idea of what I'm talking about anyway

Be Lucky

Pat

DSC02608.JPG

DSC02609.JPG

DSC02610.JPG

DSC02611.JPG

DSC02612.JPG

DSC02619.JPG

DSC02616.JPG

DSC01861.JPG

• Like 2

Thanks for sharing the pics!

to answer to your question for the photos in the text, once you upload them you will see on the photos there is a +

You just have to place the text marker where you want the photo to be in the text, and give to the + and it will insert the photo where the marker was. the photos will show up at the bottom on the text in line only when they are uploaded, but not inserted anywhere in the text, it will then just show up by default at the bottom ;) 

2 hours ago, Dust said:

Thanks for sharing the pics!

to answer to your question for the photos in the text, once you upload them you will see on the photos there is a +

You just have to place the text marker where you want the photo to be in the text, and give to the + and it will insert the photo where the marker was. the photos will show up at the bottom on the text in line only when they are uploaded, but not inserted anywhere in the text, it will then just show up by default at the bottom ;) 

Nice one Dust

much appreciated for the help, it just makes for much nicer looking and easier to read posts eh

Thanks for sharing Pat... but when you said Bonsai... I was thinking more... Bonsai ?

IMG_4749.JPG

IMG_4750.JPG

IMG_4751.JPG

which I am sure can be done in the same way a proper tree surely can be done too. Not just a plant on steroids.

But thanks ?