Kings Kush Auto Mars II 400 LED -- COMPLETED

gasmeter

My indoor gardening adventures can begin now that I have my grow light and tent set up, I decided to grow an autoflower for my first run indoors so I bought 3 Kings Kush autoflower beans, I have only popped one bean to play safe I don't have a clue what size a single plant will be.

Tent

Mars Hydro 70cm X 70cm X 160cm

Grow Light

Mars II 400 LED

The grow light is the equivalent to a 250W HPS

Strain

1 X Kings Kush Autoflower = Green House Seeds

Growing Medium

BioBizz All Mix

Plant Feed

Canna Start = seedling
Plant Magic Soil Grow = veg
Plant Magic Root Stimulant = veg & flowering
Plant Magic Soil Bloom = flowering

Friday 25 November 2016

Started to germinate a single Kings Kush auto bean

25nov_2016_three_kings_kush_auto_beans.jpg

25nov_2016_germinating_kings_kush_bean.jpg

Sunday 27 November 2016

Kings Kush bean germinated so I planted it in soil for seedlings

27nov_2016_kings_kush_auto_germinated.jpg

Tuesday 29 November 2016

Kings Kush breaking ground

29nov_2016_kings_kush_breakin_ground.jpg

Wednesday 30 November 2016

Kings Kush slowly rising out of the soil

30nov_2016_kings_kush_auto.jpg

Kings Kush under a flourescent tube

30nov_2016_kings_kush_auto_under_flouro.jpg

Thursday 01 December 2016

Kings Kush at 5 days old

01dec_2016_kings_kush_auto.jpg

Kings Kush in new tent after first half day under grow light

01dec_2016_kings_kush_auto_in_grow_tent.jpg

More updates on progress to follow soon.

Gasmeter

Likkle more

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

A quick progress update on the Kings Kush auto at 16 days old.

So far I have just been watering her three times a day with a spray gun to keep the soil damp and I am now reducing this to once per day, I have mixed up 2 litres of Canna Start and some Plant Magic Root Stimulant, once I have the watering down to once per day when I switch the light off at night I will start using the feed mix.

I have placed an old plastic ice cream tub inside the tent with some water in it and I have suspended two strips of towel so they hang into the water so they water wicks and makes the strips of towel damp to increase the humidity within the tent and I am managing to keep it between 50 and 60 percent.

I switch the light on when I get up at 6.30am and switch it off at 10.30pm giving her 16 hours light and 8 hours dark, over the past few days I have been leaving the light on over night and switching it off the following night so she gets 39 and a half hours light and then 8 hours dark and I can definitely see a difference in growth rate and she seems to be enjoying it.

At the moment I have the light on veg mode, I am thinking I will keep it like this for another 3 weeks while she is vegging and building some structure.

Kings Kush

12dec_2016_kings_kush_auto.jpg

Kings Kush top view

12dec_2016_kings_kush_top_view.jpg

Kings Kush top view close up

12dec_2016_kings_kush_close_up.jpg

I will update again in a week so there is something to actually see.

Gasmeter

Likkle more

• Like 3

Thanks for sharing your journal with us man, and congrats on the new led and tent ;)

The plant is looking good so far and the kings kush is a really nice smoke :) If i remember she was not a big stretcher so have in mind that you have to get her to a correct size before flipping in flowering ;) Like most of the kushes anyway :) 

Wish you all the best for your grow!

Keep us updated ;) 

• Like 1

That is a beautiful plant. 

If manually switching the lamps on and off becomes a burden, or if you must be away for a while, you could use timers that are readily available at a home improvement store.  Daily timers are used when the desired on and off times are the same for each day.  There are also weekly timers available when the desired on and off times are different from day-to-day.  And there are digital timers available that can be programmed in various ways.

Looking good, Gasmeter.

• Like 1

Hey Dust your welcome and thanks, I am well pleased with the tent and light especially considering the plants progress, yeah although she spent her first few days under a floursecent light since she has been under the LED she has not stretched at all so the LED is doing its job providing plenty of light.

The Kings Kush beans I got are autoflowering so I don't have to worry about the photoperiod, I will keep just the veg light on until the end of the month then I will switch on the bloom light as well so she gets the right light spectrum for flowering.

Thanks Cannabissapean she seems to be starting to get a move on now shooting out new growth all over, yeah I am going to invest in a timer, at the moment switching the light on is not an issue, but a timer will make it easier to manipulate the photoperiod and provide flexibility in future.

A quick progress update on the Kings Kush auto at 22 days old.

At the moment I am giving her 20ml of feed before I switch off the light at night and 20ml of water very other night to make sure I don't over do the

feeding at this early stage of her life.

18dec_2016_kings_kush_auto.jpg

Close up of new growth at the top of the plant

18dec_2016_kings_kush_plant_top.jpg

Side stalks and new growth

18dec_2016_kings_kush_side_stalks.jpg

Close up of plant under the LED light in grow tent

18dec_2016_kings_kush_under_led.jpg

More updates to follow.

Gasmeter

Likkle more

• Like 1

Yeah man she is busting out all over, don't worry I am keeping an eye on the bottom of the pot for those little roots.

I am thinking about sprouting another bean, but not sure if there will be enough room in the tent (70cm X 70cm X 160cm) once this one starts to get bigger.

What do you guys think?

Gasmeter

Likkle more

Kushes can grow broad and they become shade monsters, so popping another seed might cause a problem for the smaller plant.  Personally, I think this plant would fill-out your tent nicely.  Are you going to attempt any supercropping on this Kings Kush auto?  If so, then the 70 x 70 tent would be maxed out. 

Of course, the decision is yours.

• Like 2

Hi Cannabissapean thanks for your thoughts and the benefit of your expeience with indoor gardening and lots of strains

Over the past few weeks I have been checking out super cropping techniques and this afternoon I FIMed her

21dec_2016_kings_kush_fimed.jpg

So I will take your advice Cannabissapean and not sprout another seed.

In a couple of days once she has recovered I will put her in a bigger pot, probably one of the 12 inch wide 14 litre pots (rubble buckets) I used for my out door grow.

Gasmeter

Likkle more 

• Like 2

Cool.

She has a nice shape and I love her short internodal distances.  How many nodes are below the FIM-site?  In earlier pictures, I count 4 leaf-pairs.  In the FIM'd picture, I can see one node immediately below the FIM; I think that is the fourth.  That would be potentially 8 branches/tops, and the FIM itself might produce two or four branches/tops.  So you could have about 12 tops?

All these branches will need time:   to grow, and for you to gradually spread them to broaden the canopy.  Even though she is an Auto, you can squeeze a little more Vegg-time into her by being very disciplined.  Because she is an Auto, she might use any excuse to start flowering earlier than you wish, so be sure she is experiencing only Vegg conditions as long as possible until her branches have reached the stage to where: either you are satisfied with the spread of the canopy, or she starts sprouting numerous white hairs. 

18/6 or more hours light per day (I would recommend 20/4).

Strict light discipline (avoid opening the tent during dark periods, and do not forget to turn the lights ON at very regular intervals.  Forgetting for too long would be seen by the plant as an extended dark period and could trigger an early flowering).  This is another advantage to having a timer.

Nutrients strictly for Vegg until you are ready to flip her or she forces her will (That means retain the Grow dosage, but reduce or eliminate the Flowering dosage for now).

Keep the pH at the lower end of the Vegg range (I recommend 6,0 - 6,2).  Do test the pH of the run-off so you can see what is happening in the soil.  Usually, the pH of the run-off is higher than the watering.  Of course, don't allow her to sit in her own run-off for more than just a few minutes after feeding.

Keep the temps and humidity in the Vegg-range (Vegg temps and humidity are generally higher than those for flowering).

When you are ready to flip or when she forces her will and begins throwing white hairs, then flip to 12/12, flush, allow to dry somewhat and then apply the manufacturer's recommended dosages for flowering.

Even if her canopy is not as broad as you had hoped, when she begins to throw white hairs, do not delay in flipping to flowering conditions.  Once an Auto enters the flowering stage, it is on a terminal clock; it will remain healthy for only a limited remaining lifespan thereafter.  In that limited time, it will grow and stretch and produce flowers/seeds just the same as its photoperiod counterparts, but when the clock runs out, she begins to whither and it's harvest time whether you like it or not.

Good Luck and have fun.

• Like 1

I've run several auto strains and they all seem to produce massively when the light is kept at 20/4. As they are auto they don't need to drop to 12/12. Also I've had great success putting the seed straight into its finishing pot so no transplantation to slow her down. Ghs super critical auto was a monster done this way. 

• Like 2

Hi Cannabissapean there are 5 nodes below the FIM site if you count the first set of single leaves as a node too, otherwise it is four nodes, it will be interesting to see if it produces two or four new stalks.

Well I took your advice and ordered a digital timer which will be delivered tomorrow.

22dec2016_digital_timer.jpg

So I can get it set up on a 20/4 photoperiod.

At the moment I am still feeding her the Canna Start and Plant Magic Root Stimulant, once she has recovered from the FIM I will repot her then I can start to give her the Plant Magic Soil Grow and some Root Stimulant as she is vegging and building structure over the next few weeks.

Thanks for the insight and useful info Chemnutter.

Gasmeter

Likkle more

Thanks for the news man good to see the plant is growing good, and yeah for sure if it is an auto than you dont have to worry too much about how much you will veg ;) 

Just be careful with the FIM and all this kind of tech on the autos plant, the stress induced could trigger the flowering and make her flower before what you actually want. Also stay very alert to the roots like canabispean said as the autos will tend to start flowering at the first sign of root bound so better be cautious ;)

Have a good grow

• Like 2

Hey Dust your welcome man, when I checked the FIM site earlier tonight with a magnifying glass I can see it is healing and something is happening, so tomorrow I will repot her into one of the 12 inch wide 14 litre rubble buckets I use outside which will give her plenty of room for her roots.

Yeah man cautious is the word an the way here for my first indoor run.

The timer I ordered yesterday was delivered today so I read the instructions and set it up on a 20/4 photoperiod the light goes off at 22.00pm for 4 hours until 2.00am

Gasmeter

Likkle more

Chemnutter, I thank you for your comments.  I stand corrected and acknowledge that my comment about 12/12 for the auto was incorrect, or at least I didn't explain myself with precision.  For that I apologize.

My comment (including that reference to flipping to 12/12 for the auto) was not intended to suggest pushing the plant to flower; an Auto will flower in its own time according to the particular strength of its Auto-genetics.  Rather, (and with respect to the foregoing context) I was trying to suggest that because she had been fimmed and will need as much Vegg-time as possible to recover and produce reasonable tops from those new less-well-developed tops and from the various side-branches whose importance as yielders had thereby increased, my comment was intended to discuss keeping her in Vegg-stage as long as possible to allow all those tops to develop reasonably, avoiding accidently triggering her to flower before it was desired. 

I agree that one can leave the lamps at 20/4 and the continuing energy should certainly continue to contribute to the flowering activity of the plant as well.  But if she hadn't yet started flowers and the grower desired to begin the flowering action, Autos can also be triggered to flower by flipping to 12/12 or by performing a 24 to 36 hour light-deprivation.  When it is clear that flowering has started, the light can be returned to 20/4, but I would do that gradually (adding an hour each day over 8 days or so) to avoid the possibility of her hermying.

Dust, I thank you for the information about root-stress triggering flowering in Autos.  That I didn't know.  But it seems to make sense; apparently Autos are like little hair-triggers ready to trip into flowering mode at the slightest disturbance.

Gasmeter, I hope the digital timer serves you well.  Personally, I use the mechanical types; no particular reason except maybe simplicity and low cost and readily available in just about every store. 

I designed and built my own control-box which controls lighting and feeding functions separately for two different tents.  The internal controls are programmed to coordinate the exhaust fan speed and the timing of the release of CO2 in relation to the activities of the external lighting and feeding timers.  I purposefully designed the box so that the external timers can easily be removed and replaced individually without disrupting the other functions of the control-box in the event that a timer becomes defective, or in the event that my feeding becomes a matter of weekly scheduling as opposed to daily schedules (ie., soil grows).  In this way, I avoided having to include an unnecessarily complicated and expensive touchpanel or other such input device, and the change-out of simple timers is easily understood even by a grower who is not a programmer.  If I were smarter, I would find a way to mass-produce and market these controllers.

• Like 1

You have nothing to apologise for Cannabissapean I overstood exactly what you meant about keeping her in vegg so she can recover from the FIM with a 20/4 photoperiod to allow her time to build structure, hopefully before she automatically begins to flower.

Great point from Dust about getting root bound I like your description of an autoflowering plant as a hair trigger I think this is pretty accurate.

When I started to set the timer I did think why did I not buy a mechanical one, but it only took me 10 minutes to set it up, but I know exactly what you mean, keeping things as simple as possible means that there are less things to go wrong

The control box you built sounds cool, I love how you can swap out defective timers good forward thinking and obvious use of your own experience being used in your design process, that fact you created the control box means you are smart enough, it is just that mass production and marketing are outside your experience, so was making your own controller a short while back. You are definitely smart enough man, aint no maybe.

Gasmeter

Likkle more

Progress update on the Kings Kush auto at 29 days old.

Last night just before the light went out at 22.00pm I took some photos of the plant and put her in a bigger pot.

Here is the Kings Kush before I repotted her

25dec_2016_kings_kush_auto.jpg

Close up of the FIM site

25dec_2016_kings_kush_fim_site.jpg

Kings Kush roots

25dec_2016_kings_kush_roots.jpg

Kings Kush in larger pot

25dec_2016_kings_kush_new_pot.jpg

From the look of those roots I was just in time putting her into the bigger pot, now she has plenty of room to expand.

More updates to follow

Gasmeter

Likkle more

Yeah, I agree, it was almost too late.  I hope she didn't stress from that.

So here's hoping for a nice looong Vegg to fill-out your tent before she begins to flower.

Of course, you still have some work ahead of you in a few weeks, to ensure the branches remain spread without damaging the new tips and tops that hopefully will appear. 

Remember, if it seems you have to use excessive force to bend a branch, use the slight squeeze method to avoid snapping the branch.

But for now, until you have enough length to work with, patience is your best friend.

Good Luck

Happy Holidays and Gute Rutsch!

• 3 weeks later...

Time for a quick progress update on the Kings Kush auto at 44 days old.

My first attempt at FIMing failed so I tried again on the 29th of December and yet again it failed, I am a bumboclaatt I just mashed up the leaves a bit

each time I tried the only good thing is that I have not stressed her into flowering.

Man those nodes are so raassin tight and compact it is just so difficult to know where to cut or pinch the top growth, anyway last night I had another go

at FIMing her and I took a heap of images close up so I could checkout where to snip off the top growth, so I have either topped or FIMed her.

Here is the Kings Kush in the tent.

09jan_2017_kings_kush_auto.jpg

Kings Kush foliage at top of plant.

09jan_2017_kings_kush_foliage.jpg

Kings Kush top growth.

09jan_2017_kings_kush_plant_top_growth.jpg

Kings Kush FIM site close up

09jan_2017_kings_kush_fim_site.jpg

When I had a look with a magnifying glass earlier tonight it certainly looks a lot more promising than the first two attempts thats for sure.

More updates to follow soon.

Gasmeter

Likkle more

• 3 weeks later...

Hello man, thanks for the news on the lady!

i dont get why do you cut the end of the leaves like this for topping? 

If you wish to perform Topping on the plant, just take the plant right above the internoed you want to cut, and just cut the main stem, the stage that is left under that cut will have the 2 secondary stems that will naturally grow faster and stronger, you can then top again to have as many top as you wish, but i dont see why cutting half way like you did ^^ Im sure next time will be better ;)

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Its a while since I had a chance to update this journal I have been crazy busy with work wrangling 1's and zeros

Hey Dust yeah man I am a bumboclaat

If you had ever wonder is it possible to f*ck up a FIM?  You now have an answer, yes if your a dick like me its easy ha ha ha

As Cannabissapean kindly pointed out in his comment above this was my third attempt, which just makes it sound worse and compounds my sin, but in my defense all I can tell you is the structure was so raassin tight and the nodes so close it was difficult to see where to pinch or cut even with a magnifying glass, the more I looked at her the more confusing it became.

She did not look like the images at Grow Weed Easy thats for sure her nodes were so close together at that point.

All I can say is it looks like she did not suffer as a consequence and instead of producing 4 tops from my mashed up FIM she made 3 which is fine by me I have definately broken her apical dominance or tendency and she is now sharing the love equally amongst all the stalks I put 4 pieces of cane in the pot for support and I have used pipe cleaners to tie down stalks to keep her height down.

I think I counted 18 stalks altogether so if they are all like main colas I will be a very happy bunny

She started flowerign about two weeks back so I fliped on the bloom switch and she has been enjoying the full light spectrum since then and she is still building structure and lots of bud sites.

I will have to sort through all the images I have taaken recently and put together a post to bring the journal up to date. 

Gasmeter

Likkle more

• Like 1

Hey guys I am going to do a series of weekly posts to get my journal up to date, I have sifted through all of the images I take every couple of days and prepared some for each post along with the text, so you can check out progress since my last update.

Monday 16 January 2017

It is now a week since my last ditch FIM attempt and she has continued to grow and the mashed up FIM site is healing nicely and something is happening.

Here are some images of her taken in the grow tent under the LED light.

Kings kush auto

16jan_2017_kings_kush.jpg

FIM site close up

16jan_2017_kings_kush_fim_site.jpg

Foliage and stalks

16jan_2017_kings_kush_stalks.jpg

More updates to follow.

Gasmeter

Likkle more

Sunday 22 January 2017

Time for another update, her girly bits have been visible for a while now, but she has definately started to flower so I have switched on the bloom switch on the ligh and she is now enjoying the full spectrum of light the LED can provide.

The  mashed up FIM site has healed up and new single stalk has sprouted from the site, I have added four 2 foot long bamboo canes to the pot and used string and pipe cleaners to tie the stalks down to restrict her height going forwards, here are some images.

Kings Kush auto

22jan_2017_kings_kush.jpg

The bloom switch is ON all systems are go...

22jan_2017_bloom_lights_on.jpg

FIM site close up

22jan_2017_fim_site.jpg

More updates to follow soon.

Gasmeter

Likkle more

Monday 30 January 2017

Another week has passed and now its time for another update on progress, she has continued to build structure and plenty of sites for buds I am still using the soil feed I will wait a bit longer with her still building structure before switching to the bloom feed.

The node at the top where I mashed up the last FIM attempt has really beefed up and I can see all the other nodes are getting bigger too.

Kings Kush auto in the grow tent under the LED

30jan_2017_kings_kush.jpg

Foliage close up

30jan_2017_foliage_close_up.jpg

FIM site close up

30jan_2017_fim_site.jpg

More updates soon.

Gasmeter

Likkle more