Custom single plant rig...opinions please

Dr. M

I have not dropped the seed in nearly 15 years. So I decided to do some research and Get Smart. This is the custom rig I put together to run a single plant through the entire cycle from transplant to harvest. It's a series of combined kits from different manufacturers, so it's sort of a high-end streetcar for cannabis. All questions are welcome and yes some of this design is proprietary. Let me know what you think guys and gals!20161228_091956.jpg

20161228_092006.jpg

20161228_092020.jpg

20161228_092027.jpg

• Like 1

Hey, hey, hey!  That's great.  It almost looks like a gun safe.  LOL

Wow, by your description, it sounds like you are approaching one of my dreams - full automation of the process.

But I have a feeling that cannabis is just too cute a plant that it would be such a shame to entrust them entirely to our robots.

It's such a joy to tend them ourselves, isn't it?

I see that you do exactly what I do, the fluorescents on the corners along with the LED above..  hehe

By the way, here are a couple tipps regarding pictures.  This is good info for anyone else who visits this thread as well:

1.  Be careful using smartphones, cellphones and androids to make pictures.  Most of the modern communication devices with a camera will record your GPS-data (where the phone is located at the time you snap the picture) into the data file with the picture.  When you upload that picture, the GPS-data goes with it.  It is possible with some devices to turn that off, but not all devices.  And even if you can turn that feature off, upon the very next time that your device receives an operating system update, the GPS-recording is usually turned back on.  It is better to use a digital camera that is not part of a communication device.  Food for thought.

2.  Often, the pictures made with PDDs (personal digital devices: androids, cellphones, smartphones, etc) it is difficult to know whether they are landscape or portrait orientated.  And often, even when you have corrected the orientation on your PDD or even in your computer, that new orientation-data is not always stored within the data-file for the picture.  Your computer knows which way you like to view that picture, but the orientation data is not necessarily a part of the data file for the picture.  When you upload that picture to StrainHunters, usually the corrected orientation data is either missing or not readable by the StrainHunters software.  Even when you saw it correct on your computer or android, many pictures wind-up displayed sideways anyway.  Here's how to fix that.  You need to open the picture in MS-Paint or just about any such picture-editting application.  Make the orientation correction there, and then SAVE.  Now the orientation data is a permanent part of the data-file for the picture.  Now when you upload the picture to StrainHunters, it will be displayed properly.

Wow....thanks Cannabissapean, this system is set for 70 percent automation...these plants are too special. The tasks of transplant, nutrient changes, cropping and training all still require human interaction. The hydro system I developed for this is a closed system that requires manual water changes, but pump driven, which is a good benchmark to inspect root development and manual water testing to ensure the monitors are running true. Other than that it frees up the cultivator for 96 hours or so from any required interaction... the system checks take literally 2 minutes...so unless the plant needs something you can let her cruise on autopilot for days! Great info on the photos, I will surely switch to that method asap! This unit set me back about 3,000 USD. Which pays itself off in about 2 harvests and costs 17 cents per day to run it.

• Like 1

Looks great Dr M :)

The T5 sidelights might be a little useless in that small of a space it might be better to take them out to give the plant more room to grow. The kind Led should give plenty of light on its own in such a small space. I have seen a few reviews of the light and they were pretty positive with the main complaint being uneven coverage when growing in a 4x4 foot area. How many watts is your led?

Those airsock filters work ok but in my experience they are good for veg but towards the end of flower it wont stop the smell as well as a normal carbon filter.

I would get a charcoal filter and use the airsock on your intake to keep dust out.

On 1/2/2017 at 1:10 PM, Cannabissapean said:

Hey, hey, hey!  That's great.  It almost looks like a gun safe.  LOL

Wow, by your description, it sounds like you are approaching one of my dreams - full automation of the process.

But I have a feeling that cannabis is just too cute a plant that it would be such a shame to entrust them entirely to our robots.

It's such a joy to tend them ourselves, isn't it?

I see that you do exactly what I do, the fluorescents on the corners along with the LED above..  hehe

By the way, here are a couple tipps regarding pictures.  This is good info for anyone else who visits this thread as well:

1.  Be careful using smartphones, cellphones and androids to make pictures.  Most of the modern communication devices with a camera will record your GPS-data (where the phone is located at the time you snap the picture) into the data file with the picture.  When you upload that picture, the GPS-data goes with it.  It is possible with some devices to turn that off, but not all devices.  And even if you can turn that feature off, upon the very next time that your device receives an operating system update, the GPS-recording is usually turned back on.  It is better to use a digital camera that is not part of a communication device.  Food for thought.

2.  Often, the pictures made with PDDs (personal digital devices: androids, cellphones, smartphones, etc) it is difficult to know whether they are landscape or portrait orientated.  And often, even when you have corrected the orientation on your PDD or even in your computer, that new orientation-data is not always stored within the data-file for the picture.  Your computer knows which way you like to view that picture, but the orientation data is not necessarily a part of the data file for the picture.  When you upload that picture to StrainHunters, usually the corrected orientation data is either missing or not readable by the StrainHunters software.  Even when you saw it correct on your computer or android, many pictures wind-up displayed sideways anyway.  Here's how to fix that.  You need to open the picture in MS-Paint or just about any such picture-editting application.  Make the orientation correction there, and then SAVE.  Now the orientation data is a permanent part of the data-file for the picture.  Now when you upload the picture to StrainHunters, it will be displayed properly.

Ok on #1.. what should we do to correct this if already uploaded from one of the devices mentioned? Go back and delete pics on thread and use cam next time?

On 1/1/2017 at 11:45 PM, Dr. M said:

I have not dropped the seed in nearly 15 years. So I decided to do some research and Get Smart. This is the custom rig I put together to run a single plant through the entire cycle from transplant to harvest. It's a series of combined kits from different manufacturers, so it's sort of a high-end streetcar for cannabis. All questions are welcome and yes some of this design is proprietary. Let me know what you think guys and gals!20161228_091956.jpg

20161228_092006.jpg

20161228_092020.jpg

20161228_092027.jpg

Looks badass! You got some skill man..I'm about to purchase one for 3k in the next couple months! I wish I was as skilled as you! How much was the total to put that together?

13 hours ago, BlackMagickGenetics said:

Ok on #1.. what should we do to correct this if already uploaded from one of the devices mentioned? Go back and delete pics on thread and use cam next time?

That is possible.  It's up to you.  It's your post.  Just understand, if you want to delete a picture completely, you may need to delete it from two places in the original post.  When you open the post with "Edit", you may find the picture among the thumbnails under your comment, and you may find the same picture where you had placed it inside your comment.

You will learn this when you start editing your posts.  It's actually fun if you like messing around with such things.

In fact, I encourage you to practice this.  The more you understand about picture management and editing, the better you will become with your grow journals.

You can also import text documents and graphics. 

The following is for anyone who reads this...

Here is a fun exercise for you.  To see an example of a very creative and entertaining grow journal, take a look at the journal created by "Gonzo" or "Gonzo's Ghost" (forgot which), the journal is called "Gonzo's Money Maker Adventure".  This journal won a prize.  You'll laugh your eyes off. 

Just click on my Avatar, look in my profile and find my friends or followers.  Find Gonzo and click on his Avatar, then you'll be in his profile.  Click to look at his activity;  you'll need to search waaay back in his history, but eventually you will see the words "Gonzo's Money Maker Adventure".  Click into that, then click into page 1, and you'll be at the start of that journal.  Have fun.

If you do the above exercise, you will learn a lot about navigating in the forum.  You will be well on your way to begin mastering the forum.  Just please remain kind and courteous, friendly and helpful to others.  That's what we are all about here at StrainHunters.

• Like 1