Backyard Sun Chasing

Andres Roldan

How's it going guys it's been a minute. Right now I have 5 plants. Im Chasing the sun in the yard and its only getting me 6 hrs of direct sunlight. Then they go underneath the florescent light. Sunny and Cloudy days keeping an eye on the scattered showers but they're doing great! I germinated Dec 7, 2016. Check out my IG @smokeygreens! 

The seeds I found in a pound of Gorilla Glue, a pound of Girl Scout Cookies, a full cake of Sour Diesel. Two I honestly don't know what they are they got mixed up. All I know is It was top shelf flowers.

I transplanted them yesterday into a mix of the Jiffy Organic Seed Starter Soil and natural compost. The two mysterious seeds are together. One of them has a three branches per node instead of two and the other weirdo Topped herself. They had a rough beginning but I see them trying and that's enough for me to try too. Peace brothers. I'll try my best to keep a well organized set of info coming this way. God Willing.  My respects to all of the Green House Seeds crew and to Franco's Family and friends. Bless up.

IMG_20170120_102417_789.jpg

IMG_20170120_102339_219.jpg

IMG_20170120_102218_005.jpg

IMG_20170121_114341.jpg

• Like 2

Good evening guys as it is Mid day where I am. I have a few questions. One of them since sprouted has been struggling and Ive seen patterns of dispigment on her small leaves then she Topped Herself Now she popped up with dry leaf matter  on one of her new shoots almost looks like a build up of dead leaf matter on her new growth. Please check it out. 

I will continue to encourage root growth and prune as necessary to get try to get her to get pass that as she is still very little compared to her sisters. IMG_20170123_112811.jpgIMG_20170123_112743.jpg

• Like 2

This looks like some critter is chewing on your plant.  Get some Neem Oil and spray the plant.  Neem Oil is a natural extract from the Neem Tree.  It makes the plant bad tasting to most insects that eat on leaves.  It is virtually harmless to humans, and you can use it often, but you should reduce its application after the flowers begin, and you should stop using it 3 or 4 weeks before harvest.

You can also use a weak solution of dishwashing soap and water.  This is especially effective against aphids.  Again, avoid its use during flowering and weeks before harvest, otherwise you will ruin the taste of your smoke.

Some critters are nocturnal; try to surprise the critter by sneaking up on him at night.

If you have slugs, you need to react FAST with slug pellets.  Slugs can wipe-out an entire plant overnight. 

Grasshoppers, too.  If you have grasshoppers, go to your county co-op.  There is something that you can buy and spread around the yard.  The grasshoppers eat it, and it grows inside them and kills them, then it infects other grasshoppers and they die too.

• Like 1

interesting strains you found your seeds in ;) Looking forward to see if they will look a bit like the parents or not, and if they do you will have some tasty things there haha ;)

Looking good so far and i wish you all the best for the rest!

Have a good grow

• Like 1

Hehe, Dust, did you catch that?  He buys his weed by the pound...

Andres, when you finally get your grow-methods dialed-in, you won't have to buy it anymore.  You'll have the best weed for miles around because you cultivate the best yourself.

Good Luck.

• Like 2

Thanks bro. It was definitely some little flies in the room. Nothing too serious  I can keep them away. I found a pesticide/fertilizer  at home. It also feeds plants up to 6 months. 

Considering this I only diluted a few pelets in water then I sprayed around the pot using a spray bottle and enough to get the plants  slightly misted so they won't feed too much of this stuff. I saw the little flies before but didn't think they were eating my plants. 

She outgrew her situation and is perfectly healthy and about an inch bigger. Hopefully one day I'll self supply my stock. Mucho demand. ??

Andres, careful using pesticides, especially a pesticide/fertilizer combination.  That means that the pesticide is being taken-up into the plant - a plant that you want to smoke or eat later.  Are you sure you want to smoke or eat that pesticide?  My advice is to carefully select milder pesticides like Neem Oil that are virtually harmless to humans, usually stating so on the package, or pesticides that are designed to be used on vegetables or fruit trees.  Even with all these 'virtually harmless' pesticides, read the packages and be sure.  Try to NOT use them after the plant begins flowering, and definitely stop using them 3 or 4 weeks before harvest.

I've never tried guerrilla/self-made pH strips, because I consider pH measuring too important to accept the risk of my making a mistake with my own strips.  Remember, for exact pH for cannabis, we are talking about the difference between 5,5 to 5,8 for hydroponics in early vegg and 6,0 to 6,4 for soil in early vegg, etc.  Strips aren't so exact or reliable; if they become moist, then they lose their reliability.

I would recommend the pH meter from ADWA, if you can find it.  I would also recommend the pH-UP and the PH-Down(NitricAcid35% for Vegg phase) and the pH-Down(PhosphoricAcid for Bloom phase) from Advanced Hydroponics.  These are very stable pH adjusters.  Similar products may also be available from General Hydroponics.

If you are looking for an excellent EC-meter, I recommend the Truncheon from BlueLabs.  A bit more expensive, but worth it.

• Like 1

Thanks bro, 

I know exactly what you mean with the pesticide/fertilizer. Don't worry I used it once and not quite directly on the plant the leaves took some in for sure but those leaves get cut later. The problem got solved and I haven't needed anything since.  And if I do I'll go looking for neem oil. I've used the pH up and down from GH. It's definitely more secure but I'll run the experiment and let you know how that goes. So far I haven't been measuring pH. 

I know my tap water is about a 7.5. The jiffy seed starter mix I'm using as medium with natural compost sais it's pH balanced And for what I'm seeing it's truely correcting it's pH I haven't had a single sign of my pH being thrown off. Ima test the runoff today with the strip I'm making and see where I'm at. 

14857014312922138734437.jpg

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Hello. The bigger plant in the white pot, which strain is it? Looks like nothing i have seen before, very strange. Maybe you should boil some chilly peppers and apply the liquid on the plants with a sprayer. You could also add garlic, drop of soap or very light instant coffee. Compost tea spray gets your plants infected with beneficial micro organisms and they overpower all the harmful ones.