Partnering to Grow LandRace & Heirlooms

Tiva_Lover

Hi All.  Growing where I live is NOT legal.  So its impractical for me to grow my own.  

Any advice for getting my hands on some LandRace/Heirloom bud?  

I know I can buy seeds online at a handful of reputable shops.  But does anyone here think its practical, or have any tips, on how to find someone to grow them?  I travel frequently to the Los Angeles area and would be happy to pay someone and wait the time until they were done.  But I don't know if this kind of thing is done, or how to take the first few steps.  

Alternatively, I'd be OK to start with getting some LandRaces/Heirlooms at a Los Angeles dispensary.  But I'm having no luck in finding stock.  

Any general advice/ideas/places to start?

(edited 04 Feb 2017.  I am not a legal counsel, and some of what I wrote in the below post was incorrect.  I left the text as it originally was.  Many times my enthusiasm for cannabis may result in my choosing words that may be too enthusiastic and therefore misleading.  Each state has its own laws regarding cannabis, therefore, it is advisable to know the laws where you are before attempting to create a legal contract.)

Tiva_Lover,

As I understand it, contracting with someone to have them grow for you is legal now in the state of California, because medical marijuana is now legal and Proposition 64 has passed.  In fact, you are in a better position to know than many of us in here because you are physically there in the California area or nearby.

I think that for your contract to be fully legal, you need to have a medical marijuana card and you need to have a prescription from a licensed medical doctor.  Just guessing...

Aside from the legal means of having someone grow it for you, maybe you could search online for a few cannabis clubs in your area, contact them or become a member, and surely you can find-out more information from them.

Why not grow your own?  If you own your own home, and your spouse or other persons with whom you live are agreeable, you can buy yourself a tent setup and grow it in an out-of-the-way room.  If you absolutely must grow Sativas, then your tent will need to be tall, or maybe even expandable in height.  They do exist.  Granted, you will need to reckon with higher electricity costs.  But you already said you were willing to pay someone...

Finding heirloom Sativas can be a difficult task.  Most persons or companies that possess an heirloom will not let those genetics go, rather they will use the genetics as breeding-stock to develop hybrids which after feminization and stabilization, they will eventually begin marketing the seeds.  You might have to settle for those commercially available Sativas or hybrids with higher Sativa percentages.  Again, you are in the better position to discover what is available to you - by using the power of searching the internet.  Be creative in choosing words for your search strings, change the order of the words, use different words, use some new words that you discover as a result of your searches.  One source for sativa seeds that I once tried was Tropical Seeds Enthusiasts Club, but I had a bad experience with them, not sure if they ripped me off or if it was the postman who ripped me off.

StrainHunters Seed Store (found here under "Products" at the top of the page) offers many hybrid strains, some containing higher percentages of Sativa.  If I remember correctly, in the description link for each selection, you can read various details about the strain, including the percentages.

Alternatively, if you would like to try the Mix-Packs of seeds, there are some Sativa Mix-Packs available at the online store of GreenHouseSeedsCompany (the mother-company to StrainHunters).  The Mix-Packs are where you get the color-coated seeds from GreenHouse.

But, SH/GHSC will not ship directly to the USA, Canada or Australia.  You will need to find a re-seller of those seeds where you are.  And they do exist.

I hope this helps.

Edited by Cannabissapean
I stand corrected. I am not legal counsel, and I should know better.
  • Like 1

It does help.  Thanks for the reply and advice.  I actually don't live in CA.  Just go there semi-regularly.  Where I live growing is NOT legal.  

I'm confident in my ability to hunt down seeds, but do need to look for someone to help me grow them.  I am hoping to connect with someone here since there are so many growers.  Maybe your advice concerning a "cannabis club" is a good lead for me to start.  

I've actually never heard of them before.   

Thanks for the help

(edited 04 Feb 2017.  I am not a legal counsel, and some of what I wrote in the below post was incorrect.  I left the text as it originally was.  Many times my enthusiasm for cannabis may result in my choosing words that may be too enthusiastic and therefore misleading.  Each state has its own laws regarding cannabis, therefore, it is advisable to know the laws where you are before attempting to create a legal contract.)

Where almost all of US live it is also not legal, so you are not alone.

If you are saying that you must hire someone to grow it for you, and you do not want to grow it for yourself, then you definitely want to contact a cannabis club.  At least with a cannabis club, there is a more reasonable expectation that there would be honesty and fairness within the club.  I would advise against getting involved with just anyone on the street.  I think you would agree.

To search for these clubs, spend a good amount of time collecting information and developing your impressions.  Search for "cannabis clubs", "cannabis growing clubs", cannabis cooperative clubs", etc.  Then start including the name of the States or Cities or Counties, etc. within the search strings.  Although I do not prefer the use of the word 'marijuana', you could also run a series of searches with that word.  This is what I meant by using the power of searching the internet. 

Having not heard of them before is actually not so uncommon, since they must operate incognito in those areas where they cannot meet in the open.  Hopefully you will be able to attend some of their gatherings to get to know them before making any agreements.

Maybe you could contact a couple cannabis clubs in the F.S.A. (Free States of America, ME, MA, CA, OR, WA, AK, CO) and ask them if they have affiliate clubs or other contacts near where you live.  Naturally, they might not be so agreeable to discuss this over the phone, so you may need to meet and ask people directly at a dispensary or a club meeting in California your next trip there to break the ice and build your reputation with them.  (Google-up "map of cannabis-friendly states".)

Now if you DO want to begin your own grow, albeit not legal, remember this, as long as you don't tell anyone about it, and as long as you run it smart (with filters, with no light leaking to the outside, the grow or the exhaust not located right beside your water-meter, electric-meter, air-conditioner, water-heater or other often-inspectable part of your home), and the property is yours and not rented, then there is no reason for anyone else to find out about it.  Then StrainHunters is an excellent source of information on how to set up and run a grow.

In fact, I'll give you a tipp right now that I give to many people here.  Watch the following series of videos on Youtube.  It is a wonderful series of 6 (or 9, I forget) videos produced by "Mr. Green" in British Columbia, each episode is 15 minutes long.  It shows you exactly how to build your own grow with components readily available at a home improvement center near you.  Mr. Green's set-up is a hydroponics set-up, but the video covers the basics for any simple in-home grow.  It is a very enjoyable series of videos.  His set-up is basically exactly what I have, and it works.  Do take notes.  In Youtube, search for "Mr. Green - I Grow Chronic". 

Enjoy and Good Luck

After viewing Mr. Green, I feel certain you will thank me again later.  (Mr. Monk...)

Cannabissapean

Edited by Cannabissapean
I stand corrected. I am not legal counsel, and I should know better.

You seem to be the only person talking to me here, so thank you for responding.  

Also, than you for all the helpful information.  I've never heard of the Free States of America either, LOL.  But I like it.   This post was filled with information and insight and practical advice.   I will probably follow most, if not all, of it. 

With regards to growing, I'm going to D/L these videos (yes, there are extensions to chrome web browser to do so!) from YT with an eye towards the future.  Since I've begun my deeper exploration of cannabis I've come to understand why growing your own is superior to what you can find on the street or even at a dispensary.   So I think growing my own is a great goal for myself.  But I also had no idea HOW MUCH THERE IS TO LEARN!  Seriously, the terms and techniques: harvesting early to stop expression of indica genes, isolating males & gathering pollen to get seeds for later, hermaphroditic plants, white hairs, soil PH, etc.

Luckily I like to learn, so I'm up for it.  But I get the distinct feeling that it will be several rounds of trial and error.  Learning from my mistakes.  Especially since the only thing I'm interested in are heirloom Sativas (which I've read can be notoriously difficult).  

Anyhow thanks again for all the great leads and advice.  Its appreciated.  

• Like 1

If I am bothering you, please let me know, and I'll rein myself in.

Due to Franco's passing, the site is very quiet; many of the regulars are still in shock, but they are trickling back in over time.

One way for you to generate friends is to use the "Follow Member" found in the Profiles of others.  Follow lots of other members.  After you follow others, when you receive notifications, go ahead and view those other conversations, and when you have an interest, join-in with them and "Like" their comments and post your comments into their threads as well.  When they see that you have interest in their conversations, they in turn will show interest in your threads as well. 

Did you read my Navigation Aid that I sent you?  I know it is long, but there are lots of good tipps found in there.  "Follow Member" and "Like" to support Notifications is in there.

If you have lost that message containing the Navigation Aid, let me know and I'll be happy to send it to you.

Learning from mistakes is fun also.

And never give-up on learning!  Learning is fun, and learning should be a life-long passion.  I know it is for me.

Someone once indicated to me, if you stop learning, you might as well stop living.

Similarly, if you stop improving your home, then home becomes a dull place to live.

Not bothering me at all.  I apologize if it came off that way.  Quite the opposite.  I appreciate the advice and guidance.  

I'll go out and make some friends! :)

Regarding the Navigation aid you sent, I looked at it when it first came in.  It was quite long and a bit convoluted for someone who never used the forum before.  Not an organic chemistry textbook by any means, but took a little concentration to follow.  But I'll re-read it.  

I agree as far as learning.  If I don't enjoy that, I probably don't enjoy life anymore.  

Thanks again

• Like 1

It didn't come off that way, it's just that some members are sensitive that way, and I don't want to offend anyone.

And your comments regarding the Navigation Aid is exactly what I have been seeking.  I do want to hear how I can improve it.  I know it is long.

When I started writing it, the forum was experiencing a high rate of people registering, posting only once or twice and then never returning.  I eventually determined that that was occurring because the forum software doesn't support the plethera of PDDs out there (personal digital devices - Androids, Tablets, Smartphones, etc.). And today, we still are having that problem.  Admin is now working to find solutions, but since the PDD industry hasn't yet settled down to any central standards, it is like aiming for 100 different targets, where each target paper keeps changing. 

I was trying to find a way to explain that to the prospective newjoins.  As I wrote the explanations, I kept stumbling on one thing after another that I thought deserved special mention (Likes, notifications, messages, response timeline explanations, etc.), and day after day, the tutorial turned into a book.  I tried to include a little humor so that it wouldn't seem so stiff, and I used a bit of colored text to highlight certain things that I thought were especially important, and to help keep the attention of the reader.

If there is something that you think I should omit or change or add, please, please, please let me know.

I'm actually putting the finishing touches on a website we're launching in the next 4-6 weeks, so I know you mean about about PDD (we call it mobile).  Personally I only ever use the net when I can get on desktop.  Unless I absolutely HAVE to find out some info.  Anyhow, my point is the world is moving to mobile and we (as website owners) have to accept it.  

We just decided to use JQuery Mobile.  Its lightweight library, is easy to implement, and works well on desktop too.  

And now I'm officially hijacking my own grow thread on a rare MJ strain message board and turning it into UI front end development topic.  LOL.  

Point is, I hear you.  

So as not to put things that aren't "on topic",  I will send you a PM with some thoughts this weekend.  

Well, to throw my 2 cents in here... I lived in California for many years, and I live in Oregon now. I have a large landrace seed collection that I started in the 1970s in the freezer here, but I do not sell seeds and I am not associated with any seed companies. There are strains available out there though, and there will be landrace and especially heirloom seeds and clones available to buy in California now that they legalized marijuana there. I grew 4 heirloom strains here the last two years, including White Widow, Blue Dream, GDP, and OG Kush. I bought them all as rooted clones, sized them up, and them cloned them and flowered them out, re-vegged them, and flowered them again.  In the years previous, I only grew landrace strains from my own seeds. But my point is that it will be easy to find and buy rooted  clones in the LA area, and they will be females, guaranteed strains, and rooted. Easier than buying seeds, germinating them and selecting/culling for females, and then flowering them out.

In California, by law anyone can grow weed indoors. However, cities and counties can ban outdoor growing. Anyone in California can now grow up to 6 plants of any size and maturity per address. There is no limit to the amount of finished buds that they can grow. They can only take one ounce of weed out of the house with them anywhere though, or give away one ounce of weed that they grow at any given time. It is not legal to sell weed that you grow in California, unless you have a commercial license to grow, process or sell, and pay the license fees and taxes to the state.

As far as setting up someone to grow for you in CA for money, that would not be legal there. Nor would it be legal for you to transport more than one ounce within the state, even if they grew it and gave it to you. Also it is not legal to transport any weed across state lines by any means at this time (federal law prohibits it, even between states where weed is legal, like between NV and CA). Flying with weed interstate is also not legal, but flying in Oregon with weed is legal if you are not leaving the state. 

In the end, it may be far easier for you just to buy weed in LA at a licensed California rec weed store and take it with you.  The purchase limit there is currently the same as the mobile possession limit of one ounce. I am not sure if there are any rec weed stores open there yet though.

Tiva_Lover, that's Ok.  It's your thread..  LOL  No problem.

Hey, you seem well versed in IT and website development, so if you would like to help, you can contact "Admin" via the messages and offer your assistance or suggestions to him directly.  Maybe you know something that he needs to overcome these PDD problems.  I feel certain that he would be appreciative.

If you wish to post suggestions openly, you can do so in the thread called "Bugs Review" found in the Category "FAQ & Rules".

Well, one has to be careful in what one recommends. But the legal issues here are many layered, and vary by city, county, state and federal laws. While weed is legal now in 8 states and DC and there are all these new vairiable state laws, it has been illegal for so long and dominated by the black market. The black market remains here.  The medical laws also apply to many more states, and if the OP has a medical card in one state it is valid in several other states that honor it by reciprocity. However, the federal laws also remain in effect, and marijuana remains a Class 1 restricted drug, and at the federal level in the USA, all activity regarding 'legal' weed remains illegal. Including all rec and medical weed growing, processing, sales, and transport. In some cases the Feds are raiding medical dispensaries in SoCal and not arresting anyone, they are just opening the safes and draining the cash. Which they can legally do. This is a HUGE issue with marijuana being illegal at the federal level: its an all cash business, because banks are federally regulated. No banks will do business with any cannabis business here. So no CC or ATM buying, and cash only sales at all levels. Which creates many problems.

So what to say here? To the OP, you can set up a grower and they can grow weed at the city/county/state level legally in certain areas allowing it in California. But paying them for it has to be on the down low, the same with transporting larger than one ounce amounts and bringing it back across state lines. At the federal level we are all technically breaking the law here, so it is a matter of law enforcement and jurisdiction and who is looking for what, where and why. In the late 1970s during the Carter years, weed was basically decriminalized and few people got busted for it. Those were the golden years, looking back now. Obama pretty much said that the Feds would leave weed alone and respect the state laws allowing it. But it was a discretionary thing. We have yet to see what Trump will do about it.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Big Sur said:

In some cases the Feds are raiding medical dispensaries in SoCal and not arresting anyone, they are just opening the safes and draining the cash. Which they can legally do.

That's fucked up.  I've heard similar stories about the people who grow in Humboldt.  They get busted taking there crops to the dispensaries to the south of them, and have to be very careful.   Guaranteed there is major politics to which places the feds are raiding to get their cash.  I'm no Trump fan, but Obama didn't do much regarding reclassification of the Schedule 1 classification (NO medical benefit!  My ass!), but I guess his hands were going to be tied in a no win situations.  At least thats what I tell myself to cut him some slack.  Rumblings are Trump is no fan of legalization, and the feds may look harder at enforcement.  

Glad you mentioned to Cannabissapean to be careful.  You and him are right: someone could look at his thread, do something stupid, and blame him.  

Anyhow, I understand the legal "gray area" (OK fine, its not gray.  Its probably more black and white) that this operates in.  But in 2018 it will be legal in CA for rec use.  Of course things would still have to be done with care, but they always have.   Right now its legal to grow and give away (as long is the recipient is 21+ I believe). 

Regarding getting flowers from a dispensary, I've yet to see a dispensary offer a true heirloom.  They're all Bubble-Super-OG-Wreck-a-Cookie with 79% THC shatter!   As I've gotten older my taste is more discerning.  I've noticed if I smoke more than 2 bowls a day of certain stashes I have I'm guaranteed a headache.  I used to think that was the flowers, but am now realizing its most likely the accumulation of chemicals from cheeba thats not flushed properly.  

I'm very keen to find pure sativa genetics with a proper, loving grow that will yield a side effect free high (without the nasty headaches) that I see people write about.  I don't believe I can get that experience in a commercial dispensary.  At least not from what I've personally experienced and seen written.  

Thanks again for your input.  

• Like 2

16 hours ago, Cannabissapean said:

Hey, you seem well versed in IT and website development, so if you would like to help, you can contact "Admin" via the messages and offer your assistance or suggestions to him directly.  Maybe you know something that he needs to overcome these PDD problems.  I feel certain that he would be appreciative.

If you wish to post suggestions openly, you can do so in the thread called "Bugs Review" found in the Category "FAQ & Rules".

I'm happy to help and offer some input, but I'm not a Svengali or guru.  

I just opened up the form in the chrome debugger and changed the screen to iphone5.  Its really responsive!  I was incorrectly assuming it didn't scale properly to lower resolution, but it clearly does.   I'm guessing the issues you talking about are more uploading photos, etc?  Is there somewhere the specific bugs/issues with mobile devices are documented for public view?  I'm assuming google analytics told you mobile users were returning much less frequently than desktop?

I believe 2016 was the year that mobile finally surpassed desktop for sheer volume of internet access.  Unfortunately, Instagram goes great with mobile.  Forums and posts a little less so.  

Unlez u lik to c ppl talk lik dis

LOL.  Sad, but true.  

• Like 1

On 2/4/2017 at 4:19 PM, Tiva_Lover said:

That's fucked up.  I've heard similar stories about the people who grow in Humboldt.  They get busted taking there crops to the dispensaries to the south of them, and have to be very careful.   Guaranteed there is major politics to which places the feds are raiding to get their cash.  I'm no Trump fan, but Obama didn't do much regarding reclassification of the Schedule 1 classification (NO medical benefit!  My ass!), but I guess his hands were going to be tied in a no win situations.  At least thats what I tell myself to cut him some slack.  Rumblings are Trump is no fan of legalization, and the feds may look harder at enforcement.  

Well, I know that last year medical dispensaries in San Diego were raided by the Feds. They demanded that the staff open the safe and raided the cash. No one was busted, and the Feds left with the money. Rolling Stone has a good article about it online. Google it.

As for Trump, he has said many times that he is a big fan of medical marijuana, and has friends and associates that are using it with great results. He has waffled on rec weed (and all drug) legalization, but has stated many times that he is in favor of states rights in this regard. Time will tell. As for the DEA and their classification of weed, it comes down to BUG PHARMA making massive amounts of profit and their lobby to keep weed illegal.  So the result is a slow process of lifting prohibition. Personally from what I have seen in Oregon and Washington, legal weed is not exactly legal, and not what it is cracked up to be. I can only grow so much, have so much in my possession, and pay big taxes on it if I buy it at a store.

• Like 1

On 2/4/2017 at 4:19 PM, Tiva_Lover said:

Regarding getting flowers from a dispensary, I've yet to see a dispensary offer a true heirloom.  They're all Bubble-Super-OG-Wreck-a-Cookie with 79% THC shatter!   As I've gotten older my taste is more discerning.  I've noticed if I smoke more than 2 bowls a day of certain stashes I have I'm guaranteed a headache.  I used to think that was the flowers, but am now realizing its most likely the accumulation of chemicals from cheeba thats not flushed properly.  

I'm very keen to find pure sativa genetics with a proper, loving grow that will yield a side effect free high (without the nasty headaches) that I see people write about.  I don't believe I can get that experience in a commercial dispensary.  At least not from what I've personally experienced and seen written.  

Well, I guess it depends on what you define as an heirloom. Here you can get GDP, Blue Dream, White Widow, and OG Kush at dispensaries, which to me are heirlooms from the early 1990s.  What is sold as seeds is anyone's guess though, as they tend to be crossed to improve vigor and intensity. If you are a purist, then heirloom may only include really early named strains like Big Sur Holy Weed, Skunkweed, Haze, and California Orange.

As for landrace strains, they are a mixed bag as well. Some were crossed early on from other landraces, particularly South African and Colombian strains, and some were cultivated for centuries in the same location, like South India, Thai, and western Mexican strains.

As for headaches... you may have migraines, like I do. If you often times get them on one side of your head, and typically just above or behind your eyes, they are likely migraines. Migraines are really a complicated vascular reaction that causes many symptoms, not just headaches (nausea is common). Its the blood vessels that have nerves in them that cause the pain in migraines. I get them as well if I smoke too strong a weed or too much weed. This is basically due to the high concentration of THC in newer strains, and in dabbs/shatter/wax or whatever you want to call it. For this reason I tend to harvest my plants earlier for a lighter high with less intensity. I also grow sativas from the Americas from my landrace seed collection that have lower levels of cannabinols. I also smoke a few tokes at a time, rather than entire bowls. But I have also found that I can tolerate higher amounts of heirloom weed, particularly White Widow and Gdp (Granddaddy Purple). It is a weird contradiction in migraines, as many people smoke weed to reduce the number and intensity of migraines, while others get migraines from smoking weed. From a medical perspective, migraines are poorly understood. I have figured out that foods are my main migraine trigger, and vaso-active amines in foods, particularly tannins and tyramine are my biggest triggers. Tannins are common in red plums, cider apples, red grape skins and red pears, and tyramine is in aged meats and cheeses, as well as eggplant, tofu, and over-ripe bananas.

• Like 1

It is also a good idea to check your blood pressure at regular intervals over a scheduled week or two and give that info to your doctor.  His performing an EKG is also a good idea.  I had experienced migraines for many months beginning sometime in '91, then during a routine doctor's visit, he discovered that I had a mildly elevated blood pressure.  Even with BPpills, over the years, the average pegel had continued to rise to its current plateau.  HBP is nothing too play around with, nor to ignore.  With appropriate BPpills, I no longer have the migraines.  I think I wouldn't get in trouble giving out that bit of advice.

Didn't know that about over-ripe bananas; I've always enjoyed them.

Interesting. I have low blood pressure. I have what are called MAV, for migraine associated vertigo, also called VM, for vestibular migraines.  I have vertigo as well as migraines. I got the dizzy spells when I was a kid, and the migraine headaches did not start until I was in my teens. I got them rather rarely until I was in my 40s, when they became more severe. I was not properly diagnosed with them by a neurologist/psychiatrist until I was 44. Men are typically misdiagnosed for having other types of headaches, as women get migraine headaches twice as often as men do. I take triptans to get rid of them (Zomig and Imitrex).

There are many triggers for migraines. Food triggers are common, and people on MAO inhibitors wind up with food induced migraines as a result of having low MAO which would otherwise bind with vaso-active amines like tannins and tyramine. Hormones are also a trigger, and likely why women get them twice as often as men. My SIL used to get them, but after menopause she does not get headaches any more. Loud noise and bright sunlight are two other common triggers. Also people that are addicted to drinking lots of coffee that quit drinking it commonly get migraines. I also get them after taking any opioid drugs, like lomotil or codeine. Serotonin levels have a lot to do with them, which is why migraine events can also trigger nausea, as the gut uses a lot of serotonin to keep digestion moving along.

• Like 1

Hello,

It looks like the Green Rush right now in California... ! And it's great!! When is it to be effective, 2018?

Rec' dispensaries are going to grow like  mushrooms in the State. Imagine all those plant grown under the sun of Cali(like before, but legally). They already grow top quality Oranges and have really sweet wine much more sugary due to the huge amount of  sun. 

For me Heirloom like BigSur says, are plant grown "Outdoor" since decades and used to the climate. There is a bunch in Cali... Orange Bud, Skunk, Haze, California Hash Plant and many others, Classics...! Every good Rec' Shop should have these in stock just as a weed cultural legacy. Then some new icons like  OG, Blue Dream,Bubba,NY Diesel,  Granddady Purple (new legend?) are flowering, but a bit young to be called Heirloom (except maybe OG which is an "old new one"in my opinion). Cali just has the perfect weather to grow Grade A, without having to use any electricity, the environment will thank us later. A majority of Indica could grow north, while most sativas would perfectly flourish south. As U.S Heirloom we could have add,  one of the pioneer Nothern Lights or Black Domina from Seattle Area. Bubble Gum from Indiana... On and on...

It will be interesting as well to see how a same plant grows over the years in South Cali compare to Colorado for exemple. Caracteristics will evolve and change over time; Or not.

A good Rec' shop for me, would have Legendary Classics, like i already said (Northern Lights, Orange Bud...), new top shelf hybrids, and Landraces...! A respected dispensary would mean nothing without the "Origin of Weed Culture". Such as Oaxaca sativa, Santa Marta, Jamaican, Hindu Hush, Maple Leaf, Durban Poison, Manga Rosa, Parvati Valley, Morrocan Hash Plant, Lebanese...etc etc...China Yunnan being really rare.

BigSur, being in the Green Rush, being a passionate knowing a lot, being there, wouldn't you think of trading some Landrace Clones to some dispensaries in order to contribute to the preservation of the plant?? No need to sell flowers.

• Like 1

I am not interested in supplying seed or strains to the public, as seed companies would snap them up, cross them and sell them. Not interested in making them all rich, thanks. There is a company here now in PDX that is working with people like me that have old genetics. We will see what comes of it. I am also supplying some local medical growers with pollen though, and sending some seeds to some trusted friends in Europe for growing and testing genetics in labs in Colombia.

• Like 1

As for the strains you have listed as being new, many are actually not very new. Blue Dream is actually a classic now and was crossed back in 1990. Its a real mutt with Haze, Northern Lights, and Blueberry genetics. White Widow was out in the early 1990s as well. A cross between So India Ganja and Brazilian. GDP came out in 2003, a newcomer I guess. It is a cross between Purple Urkle and Big Bud. Big Bud was crossed back in the 80s and is an Afghan/Skunk/Northern Lights cross. Many of the newer strains (even these older ones) have the same genetics in them, which is a problem.

As for some other strains: ChenDog/Diesel was grown in 1991, an S1 from Dog Bud that was grown in Colorado in the 1980s, which was from a NorCal cut from the earlier 80s in the Emerald triangle. So its really an older strain. Blueberry was developed in the later 1970s I think it was. Northern Lights came out in 1985 in earnest when it arrived in Amsterdam, and was supposedly developed in the later 1970s or early 1980s on one of the Puget Sound Islands. OG Kush came along in '93 or '94. California Orange was around from SoCal back in '77, so was developed before then. Haze goes back to the early 70's in Santa Cruz as well (depends on which gen of Haze though). Several skunk crosses were all over Central California in the late 1970s. Romulan came from Korea brought back through Ft Ord and the 7th Army division and was grown in in NorCal long before it was taken to Amsterdam in the 1980s. Big Sur Holy weed was not a cross, but a single strain landrace, and was grown in Big Sur from the later 60's through the 1970s. BSHW was the first local strain name that I heard about in 1972. Maui Waui came along in the later 1970s, along with Kona Gold. Nether are really crosses though, and like BSHW, Maui is 2nd gen Thai, and Kona is 2nd gen Colombian Gold. Many consider these 2nd gen grown landraces as heirlooms, but I do not. To me they are landraces.

All of the above strains have murky pasts being grown and developed under prohibition, and the stories vary. I put the line at 20 years for heirlooms and classics. To differentiate them from all the new strains like Headband, Obama, Gorilla Glue, Cherry Cola. I use 20 years as a cutoff, as that is the time that you get for any new plant patented and sold to get royalties. Call then classics, old school, or heirlooms. If a plant survives that long in demand like Blue Dream commands, then it deserves a place in my book. Though I am not thrilled with growing Blue Dream, which remains the #1 best seller in California medical dispensaries. Which are going away...  and being replaced by rec weed stores. California is a mixed bag IMO. Many places there are banning rec weed. Big Ag will move in after 5 years when the one acre grow limit expires. Medical MJ is being phased out completely there.

• Like 1

The list of the 10 rarest strains I found online (dunno if is true or not though):

* Oaxacan

Angola Roja

* Lebanese

* Colombian Red (likely the same as Panama Red, as Panama was once part of Colombia)

RoadKill Skunk

Molakai Frost

Greek Kalamath

* Thai Stick (skinny and fat)

Black African Magic

Parvati

*I have original land race seeds of these strains from the 70's

I would add Zacatecas Purple to this list, which is where BSHW was sourced from. I have seeds of that as well that I got in Big Sur in '77. Really dark purple and tiny seeds, they grow into huge purple stem plants that bloom really late. Not as late a Colombian, but later in October into November. 

• Like 1

Thanks for the answer, i've learned a lot...

23 hours ago, Big Sur said:

I am not interested in supplying seed or strains to the public

I understand very well your point of view. I asked you this question because i knew that you didn't want to get bothered with the  business of seeds and anything; but you are still giving pollen to right chosen trusted people in order to , like i said, contribute to the conservation of the strain, and other experiments. And that's good.

I knew the history of the 'White' , Nothern Lights, Blueberry being one of my favorite test/effect, Diesel also one of my sativa dom day smoke favorite as well ( thought that she was created in the late 90'). Concerning Blue Dream,  Top 10 sold weed actually and since a while, i thought it was  Blueberry x Super Silver Haze ...

22 hours ago, Big Sur said:

If a plant survives that long in demand like Blue Dream commands, then it deserves a place in my book.

I TOTALLY agree with you on this way !! I also believe that if a strain stands like 20/40 years,  smoked daily, annuary by smokers/growers all other the world, it must be that she has got something that others don't have.

I also think that , in the past 70'/80', growers and breeders, took more time to create, devellop and archieve a plant because of the rarity. Now it's going much more fast crossing something. People are more impatient, wanting novelties and varieties really quick... They/We don't have enough time and word-of-mouth to get used to it! It's why "Classics" will stand in the History, while the newest strain will fall one by one in the melee letting just few on feet like Highlanders. The best will remain while other fashion weed will sink.

22 hours ago, Big Sur said:

The list of the 10 rarest strains

Angola Roja

Molakai Frost

Greek Kalamath

Black African Magic

I would add Zacatecas Purple to this lis

I've never heard about those one... It is a total discovery to me, thanks.