iOS device problems

Crentz

Hi,

I've noticed some bugs and problems regarding iOS devices on the forum...the main one being the text editor is not showing text and just a black screen. 

I was a moderator then an admin on a forum with a similar layout to this so hopefully I can put my two cents in. 

The problem your having is the forum uses ckEditor, which I do believe uses Flash or JavaScript which is not supported by iOS devices.... so in order for iOS users to get the full experience in the forum with the strain hunters black theme enabled they would need a flash based web browser like Puffin, download link below: https://www.puffinbrowser.com/

Alternatively they can select the default theme at the end of the forum, screen shot included here. 

I hope this clears things up a bit?

IMG_5562.PNG

IMG_5563.PNG

• Like 2

• 2 months later...
  • 6 months later...

Hey guys I do not use Apple products but if people are still experiencing issues with the visibility of the text editor the problem is not caused by the text editor it is caused by the CSS applied to the theme to format the text editor, the editor does not use flash and JavaScript is not an issue, even mobile browsers don't choke on JScript today.

The reason for the problem is the themes CSS to format the text editor, this is clearly demonstrated by the fact that scrolling to the bottom of any page on the site and changing the theme from Strain Hunters (Default) to the default theme for the forum software.

So in order to solve the problem the CSS expressions used to format the text editor need adjusting to account for the mobile browser on iOS devices.

I&I prefer the Default theme the design is clean and the colour palette is good and it is easy on the eye, the text editor looks how it is designed to look, black text on a white background makes the text easier to read and absorb, equally black text on a white background is what the end user expects to see, this is the usual experience, even in a text editor programme on a computer the interface will be black text white background as default, obviously as you create documents you can change the text and background colours.

My advice here from a design perspective is don't reinvent the wheel, interferring with the look of the text editor is unecessary, because the text will be displayed in the page whatever colour is specified in the stylesheet containing the CSS expressions for the page text and background colours.

The most salient point here is that unless you have some iOS devices and the time to test your theme to destruction as it were then, don't bother messing with the editor, remember the guys who are responsible for creating the editor have already done the heavy lifting and invested time and effort testing the editor to make sure it works as expected on all types of devices and operating systems people use today as well as legacy stuff on older devices.

Not everybody is running the latest device or software, so we have to temper what we do and the things we produce bearing this fact in mind, we have to balance things to make sure we have an even playing field for all users, or it is as even as it can be considering the vast number of variables involved from different devices, OS's, browsers and even network connections, all these things determine the end users experience.

Being consistenet is very important so making sure that if end users can change themes the experience is consistent, as I mentioned I use the Default theme and the chat tool bar ting is not available, for me this is not a problem I find it distracting and slightly annoying keep popping and pinging as it alerts me to something trying to tempt me to look and distract me from whatever I was reading or writing at that time, and yes I know I can just click on it and close it so it goes away.

But by making sure everything works under all available themes this ensures that the end user has a consitent experience.

With regards to CSS if you find you need to use !important in a style rule expression, you have an issue with specifity, this means basically that you are not being specific enough to identfy the element you are trying to apply the formatting to, even if for example you have applied an ID attribute to the element in question, where normally this works for you.

The problem is there is/are other elements with ID attributes applied to them along with other elements with CSS classes applied to them which are parent containers to the element you are wanting to format or effect in some manner using CSS style rules.

So to avoid using !important to force the style rule expression you need to be specific, this element is located deep within other elements within the DOM, so you have to help the browser to drill down the DOM (Document Object Model) to the element in question, so instead of using the ID or class attribute for the element in question, you need to list the ID's and classes of all the elements in the document that contain that element.

If you work with JavaScript think of it the exact same way you would if you were writing some logic to manipulate an element within the DOM, it is the same thing your just using a different technology to interfer with the same thing.

So if the element is located within 3 other elements you need to specify their ID's and or classes so instead of writing a style rule like the following

#myElement { color: red; }

You would write

.elementOne #elementTwo .elementThree #myElement ( color: red; }

In the rule above we identify the hierarchy of containing elements in order, drilling down to the element we wish to apply the style rule to in order to affect it some how, in this case make any text red, due to the fact the element is deeply nexted within 3 other elements using it's ID myElement alone may not be enough to help the browser identify the element within the DOM and do your bidding.

When I am writing JScript or jQuery I always visualise myself looking down the DOM from the perspective of the window object, remember you cannot get higher than the window because the browser window is the ultimate container, your document or web page is rendered within the browser window by the browser, it is a hierarchy of nodes in a document tree, so applying this thinking makes working with CSS easier the same rules apply. Hope this helps.

Gasmeter

Likkle more

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...