Autoflowering Super Lemon Haze and Sweet Mango 600HPS from seedling to harvest

Hemperor

Hello everybody, 

This is my first grow, I am using a 1.2x1.2x2m grow tent, 5 inch fan and a 600W HPS Bulb from seedling to harvest  on Super Lemon haze Auto and Sweet Mango Auto (Both from GreenHouseSeeds). Considering I have no experience at all, I am concerned about the nutrients that I shall add and since when, I am pretty excited and I don't want to mess it up, so any advices would be really appreciated! I am going to use a Janeco Light Mix with a Ph of 6, I am thinking to add a little more perlite to it. So far that was the best option I could find locally. I am going to use the 18/6 as light schedule. 

Those being said, I would really appreciate any kind of useful advice about growing autoflowering strains. Cheers! :umnik:

IonutAndrei,

Difficult to advise you regarding your nutrients, because you didn't tell us which nutrients you have.

Have you already started the seeds?

If you don't have any nutrients yet, for those autoflowers, I would highly recommend Greenhouse Powderfeeding for shortflowering plants.  If you are in EU, you should get it in plenty of time if you order within the next week or two.

For any autoflowering plants, limit your topping to just one or two events, but no more, if even that.  Encourage growth in Vegg as much as possible, because once the plant begins flowering, it has activated its terminal clock.

• Like 1

Hello, 

The seeds are not even germinated yet, I am about to germinate them in the upcoming days.

About the nutrients, I have got today from somebody this mini kit from Aptus.  I am concerned about when shall I start add the first nutrient (Rooting). 

Also another thing I have to find out before I get it started is what distance to keep from the 600W HPS to the ground and eventually to the little plants>>bigger plants. 

1. Thank you for the useful advice by the way! 

image1.JPG

I agree with Sal 100%.  600W HPS is usually used for mature plants during bloom stage.  HPS and MH lamps must be kept a fair distance away from the tops of the plants in order not to burm the plants.  (I think no closer than 2 feet, 3 feet?)  I dont use HPS or MH, I use LEDs in bloom, so I would recommend your viewing a few YouTube videos about HPS and MH lamps for cannabis to get a few opinions about that distance. 

In my opinion, for seedlings, you definitely don't need to empty your wallet for all that much energy.  A couple CFLs or fluorescents with CoolWhite color at about 4 to 6 inches distance (10 to 15 cm) are sufficient for seedlings.  Fluorescents work fine in Vegg stage and will give a slow steady growth.  After the plant drops its cotyledons (baby-leaves) is when I declare seedling stage is over.  That is when I begin giving nutrients, but at first, only half-strength.  If after seedling stage, you want faster Vegg growth, use MH lamps instead of CFLs or fluorescents, but again, keep that distance, otherwise the plants could be burned.  MH lamps have a better spectrum for Vegg.  HPS has a better spectrum for flowering.  There are new models of LEDs nowadays, some with selection switches so that they have spectrums for Vegg, and with a couple flicks of switches, they have spectrums for bloom.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, in de car said:

Hi, if all you have is 600 hps and no dimmable ballast

a little tip is to difuse the light by hanging something under the bulb

to stop direct light for a while not to close mind.

Hope this helps.

peace

Hello! Thanks for the answer, I have to mention that I do have a digital ballast! :D 

12 hours ago, I'm Sal said:

600HPS is more than enough for seeds/seedlings.

If you do not have any other light source (such as CFL, Floros, LED's) I would keep that 600HPS as far away as possible within your 2.2mtr high tent when you start those babies because a powerful 600HPS will fry them.

Additionally, your 5" fan which I assume is your extraction will struggle to control the huge amount of heat from your 600HPS and I think you might need something bigger. Also another thing to consider is your intake(s) because you will most certainly need them to keep temps in check and also provide your plants with the much needed fresh air they need.

It seems like I can adjust the digital ballast power. Would you recommend me that? Before I plant them I will wait a couple of more days to see if I can deal with the heat, the air intake, etc. The fresh air will enter through some "windows" of the tent, I have attached some photos also! thanks for the answer by the way, trutly appreciate the help! (PS: I have 3x windows like those in the pic). 

air intake.jpg

ballast.jpg

12 hours ago, Cannabissapean said:

I agree with Sal 100%.  600W HPS is usually used for mature plants during bloom stage.  HPS and MH lamps must be kept a fair distance away from the tops of the plants in order not to burm the plants.  (I think no closer than 2 feet, 3 feet?)  I dont use HPS or MH, I use LEDs in bloom, so I would recommend your viewing a few YouTube videos about HPS and MH lamps for cannabis to get a few opinions about that distance. 

In my opinion, for seedlings, you definitely don't need to empty your wallet for all that much energy.  A couple CFLs or fluorescents with CoolWhite color at about 4 to 6 inches distance (10 to 15 cm) are sufficient for seedlings.  Fluorescents work fine in Vegg stage and will give a slow steady growth.  After the plant drops its cotyledons (baby-leaves) is when I declare seedling stage is over.  That is when I begin giving nutrients, but at first, only half-strength.  If after seedling stage, you want faster Vegg growth, use MH lamps instead of CFLs or fluorescents, but again, keep that distance, otherwise the plants could be burned.  MH lamps have a better spectrum for Vegg.  HPS has a better spectrum for flowering.  There are new models of LEDs nowadays, some with selection switches so that they have spectrums for Vegg, and with a couple flicks of switches, they have spectrums for bloom.

I am so excited, is just that I can not go further unless I fix all those informations. I don't want to mess up the pretty seeds :D 

Trutly appreciate the answer and I might think about buying some CFLs just to be sure that I do not burn the babies. I will look on more opinions about both options and then I will take a decision. 

in de car had said to hang something between the light and the plants to diffuse the light and to prevent the direct radiation intensity. 

I agree that such a method will help to reduce the heat on the plant, but be careful what you hang there.  Don't let your diffuser burn as well.  I think that that is what in de car meant with his words, "not to close mind".  I just wanted to make that very clear as well.  Plastic diffusers will burn rather easily in front of an HPS or MH.  If you must use those powerful lamps and you want to use a diffuser, I recommend using a glass diffuser and not plastic.

But really, friends, in my opinion, the LED technology has developed and matured sufficiently that it just doesn't make sense anymore to use those powerful and dangerous lamps.  Not only are they notorious for bursting bulbs or burning down houses, in the long-term (just a year or so), they will burn a bigger hole in your wallet than the cost of buying and running a good LED lamp.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Cannabissapean said:

in de car had said to hang something between the light and the plants to diffuse the light and to prevent the direct radiation intensity. 

I agree that such a method will help to reduce the heat on the plant, but be careful what you hang there.  Don't let your diffuser burn as well.  I think that that is what in de car meant with his words, "not to close mind".  I just wanted to make that very clear as well.  Plastic diffusers will burn rather easily in front of an HPS or MH.  If you must use those powerful lamps and you want to use a diffuser, I recommend using a glass diffuser and not plastic.

But really, friends, in my opinion, the LED technology has developed and matured sufficiently that it just doesn't make sense anymore to use those powerful and dangerous lamps.  Not only are they notorious for bursting bulbs or burning down houses, in the long-term (just a year or so), they will burn a bigger hole in your wallet than the cost of buying and running a good LED lamp.

Thanks for making it clear. I am going to try it out.

I have read different opinios about LEDS and I am pretty sure I am going to try them out for future. I have made this first kit based on online information. I will give it a try and I will give my best to keep them health. 

2 hours ago, in de car said:

Great, you have a dimmable ballast may aswell get a 250w or 400w mh bulb

this way with hanging high and lowering slowly you should have no problems

with heat or light being to much for them.

peace

I think that is the safest way actually.

Would you recommend me a 250w or a 400w bulb? 

Cheers! 

13 hours ago, I'm Sal said:

If you stick with this lighting you need to be at the 250watt at the very most during the early stages but, personally I would go with either LED, CFL or Floros and ditch your current HPS until mid veg on the lower settings and all the way through 12/12 on the 600watt if you can keep the temps in range which seems unlikely with the set up you have regarding small extraction compared to lighting and only passive intakes.

As for the intakes you have, these are not ideal at all and I prefer sealed controllable active intakes because you will find it impossible to keep it dark during the dark periods with these passive intakes as they will let the light in and even during the dark periods your plants will require all the fresh oxygen they can get.

Sorry but you really need a rethink in my opinion unless you will be hopping along problem solving during your entire grow.

I left the bulb open at 250W just to see how is the temperature going one, indeed even at 250w you can feel the heath, I am about to buy a few CFLs of 1500 lumens, they are about 28Watt and they produce Light for 108Watt and I will stick to them untill the vegetation stage is at the middle. In the meantime I can figure out a fan for air intake and everything should be alright. The seeds are in the germination stage right now. Thanks for the support and the helpful advices. 

Do you think that considering I stick to the CFLS for veggy, the distance from the lights to the plants should be lower? Peacee! :D

• 3 weeks later...

Hello everybody. I am writting because I am in lack of experience and I am wondering if anybody can help me with an explanation about the leafs of my little 17 Days Sweet Mango Auto grown under 600W HPS with a program of lightning of 18/6. The temperature is mostly 28-30 celsius degrees, my ventilator was broke for a few days and I am about to get the babies a new one :D  So far they are growing great, 2 Sweet Mangos and 2 Super Lemon Haze Auto, both developing amazing and already started to smell!! Any tip or information regarding the leafs of my plant would be appreciated! Peace 

Leaf.JPG

Leaf1.JPG

10 hours ago, I'm Sal said:

Those ladies look like they have been far too hot.

This is like Deja Vue and was spoke about by a few of us earlier in the dairy.

The temps in there at what you said "28-30c" is not too hot to handle but I think you have your big powerful lamp too close to them.

What distance do you have the light from the tops of the plants?

Also, those built in "intake widows" are not ideal, you need controllable active intakes with fresh air.

I think your girls are in an environment that is not to their liking and it needs changing before they disappoint you.

Hello again Sal! The lamp is like 75 cm away from the tops,  out of 5 babies only that one has a few curly leaves. 

I can not literally get the fresh air from outside via an active intake..it will be too visible. What encouraged me to bring the lamp closer than at beginning was different posts where people was holding their girls at a 12 inches distance from the lamp :o 

The other ones don't look too bad so far,  I will keep testing out the distance between the bulb and the tops.

I have attached a few more photos: The first one is the other Sweet Mango and the last 2 are the Super Lemon Haze. 

SM.JPG

SLH.JPGSLH (2).JPG

• Like 1

I have noticed  that the one that it is affected is the only one plant that is exactly under the bulb. I always have a windows open in the room that is the little tent but the intake would not be able to take the fresh air directly from outside. I will install one as close to the window, hoping that this will help them feel less incomfrotable :D Thank you for the informations Sal! 

Hey guys, I was just taking a better look at my so called ladies and then I noticed something at my 20 days Sweet Mango Auto. 

Being at the first grow I do not know how a male or a female plant looks like, but I remember that somebody posted a picture at a time which was showing the differences between them, and I remember the male plant looking exactly like one of my 2 Sweet Mangos, the one that had some troubles in the comments above. I uploaded a picture, hope somebody can tell me if it's a boy or a girl :D

SM1.JPG

• 1 hour ago, I'm Sal said:

I've got a VERY close eye on both my Girl Scout Cookies even though they are supposed to be feminized. So far, they do seem to appear to be girls but I've heard that many times and not only in plant terms!!

My other 5 are certainly girls, I have smoked the mother and are cuts from her.

My opinion with the males is get them out. 

Girl Scout Cookies, nice strain! Good luck with them, tonight the male is going out, R.I.P :) 

3 hours ago, leon420 said:

Same happened to me super lemon haze auto but no signs for any flowers after 59 days

The Super Lemon Haze is looking great so far, maybe they will have more space after I am taking the male out. 

Neither of them started the flowering process?