HELP- Extracting Essential oils out of Plant and if you can berries -HELP

#Robbo#420#

Hello 

basically my friend has a lot of plants but there not budding and he doesn't think they will produce anything this year , But they smell lovely (if they smell there's a essence, therefore there must be essential oils ) now, he wants to extract the essence  (essential oils ) out of the plant material to make candles (candles which give of the smell of herb lol  )  he doesn't want them to go to waste !!!  

Question - if the leaves and leaf stalks smell nice, can you extract the essential oils out of them into oil form, to put in products like candles ect  ? 

if so what would be the best method of doing so  ??

what is also on his mind is he has a wild  blackberry farm but  most of the blackberries get crushed by birds etc but they still smell nice ,is there any way of extracting the essential oils out of them to make products out of them  (do blackberrys have essential oils? , they have a essence so i'm guessing they do lol but i'm not the cleverest)  (searched the net on this but only bring up juniper berries extract methods)  is it possible to extract smell out of blackberries to make products with ?  

he has been thinking of getting a steam distillation kit but wanting to learn more before he does (there's not much on the internet about this specific question) so he asked me to ask online  

Peace 

Robbo420

THIS IS NOT TO SMOKE JUST FOR AROMATHERAPY PURPOSES , FOR PRODUCTS 

• Like 1

Robbo,

LOL, you think "out of the box" a lot.  I think your thinking is soo far out of the box that we normally think in, that there will be few informative answers from us in here.

Although, I do remember that there was one herbalist in here about a year or two ago who would certainly enjoy discussing these themes with you.

But I will try to offer you some ideas from my experiences or studies of cannabis.

First of all, I hope your friend doesn't give up on his plants too soon.  Sometimes it takes patience to wait on the plant to begin flowering.  Of course, if he is not giving it the proper environment to start the flowering, then he will be waiting a very long time.  Basically, has he flushed away the vegging nutrients and replaced them with P-K flowering nutrients?  Has he switched away from 18 hours light per day to 12 hours light per day?  That' essential to flowering.

Now, if his plants are outside, then I can understand his concerns; Winter is on the way.  If his plants are outside, then to induce flowering, he should cover the plant with a light-tight material (WITHOUT THAT MATERIAL TOUCHING THE PLANT) so the plant will get only 10 or 12 hours light per day.  Be careful; in the sun, plastics will get hot enough to burn the plant, so this "tent" will need to be big enough that it doesnt touch the plant.  IT MUST ALSO BE VENTILATED so that heat does not build-up under the hood, because heat build-up can also kill the plant.  (Maybe next year he should start his plants outdoors a bit earlier, or better, start them indoors earlier and then transplant them outdoors earlier.)

He will harvest better and more potent essential oils if he has flowers and not just the plant.  But either way, yes there IS a method to extract these oils.  The market offers oil presses.  Some presses are large, powerful and expensive.  But there are smaller presses available.  Check your local head-shop.  There are presses that you can twist a handle, but they arent really effective; humans arent strong enough, or the handle isnt strong enough to withstand the torque if you use a tool to apply the twist.  Better are the presses that are built to be inserted into a mechanics table clamp, and the piston-screw is driven with a ratchet wrench.  Check your local head-shop.

As far as  the blueberries go, those plant protiens are subject to spoiling unless they are handled in a special way.  I would recommend that he should do some intensive research in the direction of herbalist shops or perfume companies.

For candles, you need to consult someone in the candle-making industry.

• Like 2

On 9/8/2017 at 10:11 PM, Cannabissapean said:

Robbo,

LOL, you think "out of the box" a lot.  I think your thinking is soo far out of the box that we normally think in, that there will be few informative answers from us in here.

Although, I do remember that there was one herbalist in here about a year or two ago who would certainly enjoy discussing these themes with you.

But I will try to offer you some ideas from my experiences or studies of cannabis.

First of all, I hope your friend doesn't give up on his plants too soon.  Sometimes it takes patience to wait on the plant to begin flowering.  Of course, if he is not giving it the proper environment to start the flowering, then he will be waiting a very long time.  Basically, has he flushed away the vegging nutrients and replaced them with P-K flowering nutrients?  Has he switched away from 18 hours light per day to 12 hours light per day?  That' essential to flowering.

Now, if his plants are outside, then I can understand his concerns; Winter is on the way.  If his plants are outside, then to induce flowering, he should cover the plant with a light-tight material (WITHOUT THAT MATERIAL TOUCHING THE PLANT) so the plant will get only 10 or 12 hours light per day.  Be careful; in the sun, plastics will get hot enough to burn the plant, so this "tent" will need to be big enough that it doesnt touch the plant.  IT MUST ALSO BE VENTILATED so that heat does not build-up under the hood, because heat build-up can also kill the plant.  (Maybe next year he should start his plants outdoors a bit earlier, or better, start them indoors earlier and then transplant them outdoors earlier.)

He will harvest better and more potent essential oils if he has flowers and not just the plant.  But either way, yes there IS a method to extract these oils.  The market offers oil presses.  Some presses are large, powerful and expensive.  But there are smaller presses available.  Check your local head-shop.  There are presses that you can twist a handle, but they arent really effective; humans arent strong enough, or the handle isnt strong enough to withstand the torque if you use a tool to apply the twist.  Better are the presses that are built to be inserted into a mechanics table clamp, and the piston-screw is driven with a ratchet wrench.  Check your local head-shop.

As far as  the blueberries go, those plant protiens are subject to spoiling unless they are handled in a special way.  I would recommend that he should do some intensive research in the direction of herbalist shops or perfume companies.

For candles, you need to consult someone in the candle-making industry.

there wild outdoor plants   ,What happened is his friend got a bad crop it went all seedy so he gave it to him ,the lad made bubble hash out of it(the blonde 25 Micron Hash bubble on my other post is what he made with it ) the lad picked all good seeds out of the plant material but there there was lots of  white undeveloped seeds  which he just left with the plant material in the bubble bags, he made the bubble hash and chucked the waste (used trim with white seeds in  )of the bubble hash  in the garden and believe it or not they germinated ( undeveloped seeds can grow into plants ! )even though they were put through a bubble bags in freezing water (he thought it would of killed the seeds ) but by miracle the germinated  and are now 7ft high now apparently they have just started flowering in last 2 days but he doesn't think they will mature quick enough (its getting really cold here in scotland too cold and wet  for ganja plants  ) plus there just seeds from a bad crop from indoors  ,so i think there use to hot environment being a indoor strain  and will take even longer to flower outdoors   ,after all it was just by mistake that it grew into a petite field lol . plus it was a learning experience growing them ,  he has plans for the future of controlling light cycle but not go into it just yet .......

ill look into these presses , are presses a better way of extracting oils than steam distillation ?.better quality oil? better smell?  ete

and  ill contact some rellivent companies on extracting oils out of blackberries  

peace 

• Like 1

On 9/12/2017 at 11:13 PM, Cannabissapean said:

Using these presses, you'll need to get a good dab pipe, titatium nail pipe.

hmm ill think about it 

i have another question @Cannabissapean   

i have been looking on internet and carnt find any easy to understand information (i have learning difficulties )

on how to make fiber  with all the main stalks , i would like to know the( easy to understand)  process on how to make  fiber with ganj stalks so i can make with the help of some one to make clothes with it, i'd love a  nice pair of homegrown hemp shorts ,i have been thinking of doing this for some time now 

Could you help ?

peace 

Robbo420

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, #Robbo#420# said:

hmm ill think about it 

i have another question @Cannabissapean   

i have been looking on internet and carnt find any easy to understand information (i have learning difficulties )

on how to make fiber  with all the main stalks , i would like to know the( easy to understand)  process on how to make  fiber with ganj stalks so i can make with the help of some one to make clothes with it, i'd love a  nice pair of homegrown hemp shorts ,i have been thinking of doing this for some time now 

Could you help ?

peace 

Robbo420

without any fancy machines ,what techniques did the ancients use   

• Like 1

High #Robbo#420#

A press isn't really going to get you oils out of unflowered plants and isn't the best way to extract oils even from top bench buds.  A small hobbyist steam distillation unit will get oils but will only do small batches so you might be at it for a long time to get much.

Solvent extractions would be the way to go but then you are messing with large quantities of highly flammable liquids.  I used to boil the ground up leaves and tops to make a crude pot oil using isopropanol in a 4L plastic milk jug back in '82.  Further processing would be needed with something like naphtha to separate the oil from all the junk you get from such a method.  A lot of work for what will be very little product.

As to making your own fiber suitable for making clothing that will prove to be even more work.  Better off just buying a pair of hemp shorts online. :)

Good luck!

peace.gif.8554eedb8f1843b87c94b0b61de62854.gif

• Like 1