justermacoff

Northern CA, new to forum...these cross strains are killing me!

Three foot tall with sativa appearance and small colas; plants resembling indicas are all water weight with seemingly not enough leaf to support growth; brittle stems and same reactions across different environments; trichomes that are clear with Amber tips and no sign of turning opaque.

Environment, weather, fires/smoke, care, strains...how in the hell are we suppose to have any consistency in our growing patterns with all the factors involved?

WHERE IS SKUNK NO. 1

• Like 2

Welcome aboard!

Indeed, my very first grow was an indica, big plant, small colas, a lot of water. 
The good old times where weed was an easy grow have gone..
I'm currently running 3 bagseed, one seems to be indica, one a hybrid and one a sativa dominant. 
Same enviroment, different growth problems, same nutrient and light schedule. 
It's driving me crazy..

Happy you joined as well, hope to see you around here.

• Like 1

@LedCherryBerry, LOL my friend.  I find growing Cannabis very fun and easy.  Sure, there may be a problem or two along the way, but that's what makes it interesting and adventurous for me.

@justermacoff, Welcome to StrainHunters.  Sorry you are having problems with the wide variety that is now available in the Cannabis world.  Yeah, it seems that's what happens when everybody and their brothers and sisters get into the breeding.  But hey, isn't it wonderful that the Cannabis plant is so versatile and changeable?

As you probably know, many of the strains were developed specifically for the indoor growers who cannot take the risk of growing openly as you can there in California.  We are jealous of you.

And my goodness, I hope the fires aren't getting close to your home.  That's so sad that the Wine-country in California is ablaze.  (although, a smart investor could make a bit of scratch if he had invested in California wine futures...)  Oh, there are those terrible capitalistic thoughts again...

I saw in one of your other posts that you questioned the meaning of "landrace".  Landrace is a term that refers to a strain of cannabis that over time has become the dominant strain in the wild within a specific region on earth.  The origin of the original cannabis plants of that area may be known or not known, but with time and through the influence of man and through the plant's abilities to readily cross-breed and to adapt to its environment, eventually a homogenous strain will become dominant. Sometimes the strain will evolve to be like no other because of it being so isolated, such as on an island or on the other side of nearly impassable mountain ranges, or separated from other regions by great deserts, or even isolated because of the segregation of peoples, etc.   Examples are: Zamal on the island of Reunion, or Acupulco Gold, or Panama Red, or someIndica landraces in the mountains of Pakistan, Afghanistan or northern India.  There are even landraces in Africa that are different from other regions of Africa because the people there did not mingle readily with other folk, and the plants they cultivated during their segregated history became specialized each in their individual characteristics.

Contrary to the rise of the landraces is exactly what is happening today.  The original landraces are being discovered and tested and evaluated for their characteristic differences, and then these are being cross-breeded in order to develop and further refine the characteristics to produce "designer" strains.  That is fine as long as this cross-breeding doesn't begin to invade the original landrace regions.  An example is Jamaica, where many "designer" strains from Amsterdam and from northern California and British Columbia have been introduced within their great fields, such that the original landrace of Jamaica is virtually overwhelmed with the designer genetics.  In regions where the free-cultivation of a wide variety of strains occurs, the original landrace of that area will certainly be changed.  (not necessarily for the bad,  the introduction of the new genetics could improve the landrace in respect to THC content or colors or pest resistence, etc., not necessarily for the good, such as Ruderalis-crossing that results in lower THC or smaller growth or limited lifespan of Autos, etc.)  In any case, when strange strains are allowed to infest landrace fields, the original landraces begin to change or be replaced, and they are never the same again.

• Like 1