Unusual seeds

GreenKiwi

I was given some seeds today and the first thing i noticed other than the cracked and broken ones was a few with a ridge or vein looking thing from top to bottom on both sides.  

i have seen thousands of seeds and many with deformed shape or different markings to distinguish them but these are the first ive seen like this.

has anyone have an idea of what can cause this or is it a trait of a certain strain?  

i found 8 if them exactly the same so it seems consistent enough to be a genetic trait.

ill get them germinated and sprouted and post updates of how they go. 

(bottom row are the ones im talking about)

P71102-154450(1).jpg

• Like 1

Interesting.  I don't know the answer to your question, but I have a few for you:

1.  Did your generous friend say what strain those seeds are?

2.  Did he say whether those are normal seeds or are they feminized seeds?

3.  Do those white lines run down the middle of each half-shell?  Or do those white lines run down the center-line axis of the seed (along the front and back of the seam, called the raphe)? 

[Whether the front (anterior?) or back (posterior?) of the raphe have different names, I do not yet know.]

While performing research in order to better formulate my questions above, I ran across a website that you may find interesting if you are curious about seed anatomy.

(I performed a simple search for "anatomy of a seed"):

http://www.seedbiology.de/structure.asp

Judging by your picture above and my understanding of sexing cannabis seeds based on previously viewed charts of cannabis seeds, I would expect that the top 4 seeds will yield male plants, and the bottom 4 seeds will yield female plants.

4.  It would certainly be interesting to know for sure.  Could you please segregate them and mark them (all the way to their final pots) according to my presumption so that you can test that hypothesis?        

[      M?  M?  M?  M?            F?  F?  F?  F?      ]

Good luck with the germination, and do keep us posted.

he wasnt sure what strain they were and they come from a bigger bag of mixed seed from being collected over time from buying ounces. 

so not sure if they are feminised either but they are likely to be produced from originally feminsed  seed ordered from overseas, grown and maybe self pollinated, Not many people here purposely produce their own seed which is more of the reason why i enjoy doing it.

i spent a while separating all of them to groups of the most similar looking seeds 

and i usually germinate some of the best along of some of the less favorable ones so i can see how that idea of top 4 being males and bottom females could happen by the way u selected them.

i have taken notes in the past and gotten quite good at choosing but cant always tell what it will end up as and alot surprise me.

To answer question 3, They run down the middle of each half of the shell.

the white vein protrudes from the seed quite a they are more like the shape of a football/rugby ball than usual cannabis seed shape. 

i will definately label them, take photos and notes on them to post on the forum.

• Like 2

he wasnt sure what strain they were and they come from a bigger bag of mixed seed from being collected over time from buying ounces. 

so not sure if they are feminised either but they are likely to be produced from originally feminsed  seed ordered from overseas, grown and maybe self pollinated, Not many people here purposely produce their own seed which is more of the reason why i enjoy doing it.

i spent a while separating all of them to groups of the most similar looking seeds 

and i usually germinate some of the best along of some of the less favorable ones so i can see how that idea of top 4 being males and bottom females could happen by the way u selected them.

i have taken notes in the past and gotten quite good at choosing but cant always tell what it will end up as and alot surprise me.

To answer question 3, They run down the middle of each half of the shell.

the white vein protrudes from the seed quite a they are more like the shape of a football/rugby ball than usual cannabis seed shape. 

i will definately label them, take photos and notes on them all.

Thanks for the labelling. 

I shall pull up a chair in your grow-area and watch this journal.

Regarding the double-posting:  It happens from time-to-time, even to me too.  I haven't figured out what the glitch is.  But it's no problem; most of us are already accustomed to that happening.

If @Jose.gh is listening, I haven't found a way to delete double-postings without deleting the entire thread, so I won't touch it.  If you know how to delete a single post without deleting the entire thread, please enlighten me in Messages or in the Moderator Room.  And by the way, I still cannot upload any .jpg's from my computer.  I still find no upload buttons on my text- or edit-pages.

By the way, @GreenKiwi, are you going to grow these indoor or outdoors.  I know the weather where you are at this time of year will be excellent for an outdoor grow.

IJi will be growing them outdoors this year.

i had a good indoor setup running for 4 years, had 8 good mothers and producing a few hundred clones a week and around 24 ozs every 6-8 weeks.

a jealous person narked on me because i wouldnt sell to him so police raided me and took everything last year. just been doing small scale outdoors since then but plan on getting indoors started again.

i started off 4 seeds under a fluorescent house light and on a heating mat in mid august when it is still quite cold here. 2 were males and 2 females. 

one of them was a seed from a nice clone i got last year which had bright pink hairs and very resinous bud,  so i pollinated one small branch with my favorite male and it only produced 3 seeds. one female (first photo) one didnt germinate and one was a victim to a slug at 2 days old :(.

the second photo is one i started at the same time. its unknown strain too. just re potted them into 50L and a 30L containers.  

the next 4 photos are ones started more recently the second to last is a male.  the last photo of 2 are from seeds a mate ordered from Amsterdam.  he said they were afghani x bigbud.  

P71104-095316(1).jpg

P71104-093933(1).jpg

P71104-102007(1).jpg

P71104-102133(1).jpg

P71104-102239(1).jpg

P71104-102659(1).jpg

P71104-103715(1).jpg

• Like 2

• 1 month later...
  • 5 weeks later...