Auto Flowering Questions

Hi Folks. If this is in the wrong section, please could a mod reposition it for me....

Anyway, I've got a bit of question regarding auto's; more of a thought actually.

I've never really been a big fan of auto's. Never grown or smoked so my bias is based entirely on opinion and observation.

The big drawbacks seem to be yield and potency, which is understandable considering that Ruderalis is not known for either. The other major drawback, I think, is that these girls can only be grown from seed. I'm sure cuttings can be taken but how effective a method is that? Would the phytohormones that induce flowering not make traditional cloning a bit of a difficult task?

Its my understanding that it is impossible to have an auto mother plant - or is it possible using a regular routine of hormones?

So this rambling brings me onto my key questions (its a 2 parter):

Can the seeds from a chemically induced hermie (I'm thinking colloidal silver...) be used for another generation of plants? Has anyone tried producing auto seeds?

And what would be the outcome of a cross between, say, an auto and a pure sativa? Is the auto gene recessive? my knowledge of mendelian inheritance is not A grade, but I would asume that this generation would certainly not express the auto gene, but a further cross of the first filial would (I think) give you auto genes....

Anyone experimented with autos before that can shed some light? I'd quite like to try and produce a big whack of autos and see how they fair throughout different times of the year, try and make something like a perpetual harvest, all outdoor mind you, where yoou can harvest a plant a week if you got the timing right, but thats a whole dfferent issue....

Peace!!

What you'd like to have with autos is a breeding room instead of a veg room where you continuously produce seeds from selcted males and females.

Although ruderalis isn't known for their good yields and potency remember that once upon time the same was said about sativas. I believe a lot is possible through selective breeding. The later generations of autos have been improved a lot.

Right now I'm growing MI5 and i must say it surprised me. Sure, its not as stable as you'd wish but you still find some really nice frosty and fruity phenos. The yield is amazing aswell. There's a nice grow journal of mi5 over at icmag, just google mi5 grow.

I'd guess the guerilla grower has the most to earn from autos, but even for the small scale indoor gardener they have a lot to offer.

My first plants were autos. Matter of fact, my profile picture is of an auto Lemon Skunk.

The lemon skunks were female, so I didn't make seeds, but I also had auto Diesel, and auto White Russians. They were not femanized seeds, so I let them breed.

I now have a few hundred seeds of each, white russian and diesel. Granted, they do not produce a large yield, usually about an ounce per plant, but they produce great bud, especially the white russians. They are so good that a friend of mine calls them green crack, and the taste is amazing!

Buy some auto seeds that aren't femanized and you can make your own seeds. My seeds all come from two breeding cycles. Now I have seeds for years.

Jay that is awsome.

Loving the fact you liking your auto's, different folks, different strokes.

Good going on your seed harvest.

Many people bemoan the fact you cant do cutting with autos but with a stash of a couple of hundred seed who needs to.

One question though, did you fem you auto seeds?

Glocalgrower, i am liking what i hear, you make some very pertinent observations.

Auto's are in thier infancy and if the same amount of time and effort is put in to improving them, as much as other strains we will see some truely amazing auto's in the future.

First there was lowryder and boy there were haters a plenty and now i have lost count of how many auto strains there are.

Could there be a correlation with supply and demand? i wonder wink_smile.gif

There are even auto only forums, i have grown sativas, indicas, sativa x indica crosses and autos.

I love them all, each has it's place and it own unique character.

What ever you grow, we are all intrisically link by our love of weed.

Much love to all who grow the great green (sometimes purple) liberator.

wishing you the highest of highs and the growest of growsteeth_smile.gif

I didn't fem my seeds, I just let them sex it up ;)

My thought was that I would want to sex them again. Maybe even do a diesel - white russian combo in the future.

It is good to start from clones, and I have been doing that for a few years now, but there isn't much draw back from starting from seeds with autos time wise. The only draw back is having to pull the males, but that's just 17 days into it ;)

If i had the space and didn't live in an apartment.

Mother and clone would be the sure way i'd grow.

2 plant every 4 days thats great, do you smoke that much every 4 days?

I love the fact that people have thier own angle on growing , every space, strain and location has its own specific requirements and therefore there is lots to learn about different styles of growing.

Stain Hunters is a great forum with many great grows, it truely is a education.

I feel privilaged to be a member of a forum that shares knowlege in such a friendly manner.

vive la difference, together we will overgrow.

Peace to the highest

Lamsbread

I do mom and clones too, but when I have some extra space in the flower room I'll thow in a few autos. I am getting my kitchen remodeled and will have a shelf up high under a few windows. I may put a few up on the shelf under the windows and see what grows ;)

They only grow about 20 inches high, and not that wide. Like I said, about an ounce per plant. And the smoke is really good.

I normally get 50/50 male to female.

Peace,

J

If we wish to overgrow I'd say autos are the best card to play. Anyone can manage an automatic plant, and they can flourish in nearly any climate. I'm far north (64 degrees) and my mi5 that I planted out in the woods is doing alright so far. Expect to harvest early september =) ... maybe some pics will come up in the future...

You're right about that knucklehead! Cloning is easier but then you need a separate veg room which is hard for some of us. Through a controlled pollination I manage to get enough seeds for future crops and some good sinsemilla at the same time. But you have to be careful though, if you use too much pollen or turn the fan on it could turn your whole garden into a whore house!

Why not upgrade the HT cup and add another category to it? I believe its time for ruderalis to get some recognition now! It would also offer oppurtunities for smaller seed companies who specialize in autos to prove their capabilities.

For the average layman autos is probably the only suitable crop. Therefore I believe we'll soon see a boom in homegrowing thanks to the so long rejected ruderalis. Viva la ditch weed!

Thanx for the info Jay.

They sound like great li' auto's, what strain are they?

1oz per plant and a really good smoke to boot, thats got to put a smile on your face.

I will be interested to see how your kitchen grow goes.

I'm sure you will show us pictures, love the shed btw.teeth_smile.gif

Thanx also to you Glocalgrower, my sentiments exactly, HT Cup should include Auto's, what with so many seed banks offering thier own strains of auto.

The time and effort put in to creating new auto strains need to be rewarded, be nice if that reward was a shiney cup.

Then again selling vast quantities of auto seed to the point that they are out of stock and and making shed loads of money is probably reward enough.wink_smile.gif

I'm gnna leave a link for anybody who interested in auto's, just thought it was an interestin thread

https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=131611

Valley low, mountain high,

plant a plant , where it can see the sky.

Bring it sun, wind and rain,

so mother nature, can grow this auto strain.

Let it grow into frosty nugs

and keep away those pesky bugs.

When harvest comes

and i hang her high.

I'll wipe a tear from my eye,

for harvest means , time to die.

but as i sit back and take a toke.

I'll remember I grew this plant for me to smoke.teeth_smile.gif

Peace to one an' all

Lamsbread

lol yes tokage amazing what inspires us to express our inner desires and dreams.teeth_smile.gif

I am loving all strains, when my supercritical auto's are finished i will be growing "twilight" fems from dutch passion.

It is a purple variety, high is said to be quite couch locky.

Here's a link to strain review.

http://www.druglibrary.org/strainguide/Dutch_Passion/Twilight/1440/index.html

I bought them last summer so i hope they germ ok.

I have a vacuum packing machine so they well sealled and so are not subjet to moisture or air fluctuations, so should be ok.

We here in the uk often back the under dog (little guy) and auto's sometime get given a hard time, they like you say have thier place and so I will champion thier cause , although i will not grow them exclusively.

If high times doen't add an auto categrory, then some one will surely start a competion for auto's.

Maybe call it the "automatic cup" and anyone who enters it, automatically gets a cup. xD

Excuse my bad pun.

grow wealthy, grow rich , grow some weed in a ditch.

live long, live free but please grow some weed for me!

Live long and cultivate

Lamsbread

I'm sure there is someone at this forum who can reach out to the arrangers of the HT cup about adding a new category to it. It would become a lot more interesting I believe, something new to get excited about. Actually it surprises me if they already haven't discussed this. Autos have been around for quite some time now.

Once again Glocalgrower i am completely on board with what you say.

Introducing auto's to such a revered competion would boost the breeding programs off the seed companies.

Where there is competion and prizes, the desire to be the best strain creator is much higher.

Which seed company doesn't want to be top dog, even if it is in just one category.

To be a cup winner adds kudos to the brand and free advertising, resulting in increased sales.

Growers want to know what is the best strain to grow, HTC could certainly set this precedent.

We the people desire and demand this, HTC it's time to pick up the guantlet.

Pack a bowl an' smoke it up,

We want auto's in the cannabis cup!teeth_smile.gif

Peace to the highest

• 3 years later...

yes theorically it is like this, even above 12/12 of light she will flower, so you can go 18/6 all cycle if you wish. Or even 20/4 like some people do, i dont like it too much personally but try it by yourself and see ;)

Have a good grow ;)

• Like 1