Madagascar

edit

Madagascar

A sparsley populated country with many isloated comunities. Only in the last few years with the coming of mobiles have they begun to trade between local but isolated communities. The island has sativa and the Tamils brought indica with them. I was only on a wildlife tour for 4 weeks but I saw plenty growing including some that were years old and others which were just plain weird looking to an Englishman abroad :D

Nearly everything else on the island is unique, the weed too? Go on.. I dare you!

• Like 1

It's worth pointing out that Madagascars human history began only 2000 years ago when the first of us settled there and as you'll see from the quote below marijuana is first recorded in the pollen profile from the same time. They brought it with them!

Guess where they came from?

Borneo!

The Arrival of Humans

Majestic Madagascar landscape
People first came to Madagascar in boats about 2000 years ago. The oldest human-modified bones of extinct species appear in the fossil record at this time. Charcoal “signals,” found in lake sediments, increased dramatically during this period -- indicating an increase in fires. Pollen profiles, read from lake sediment cores, reveal the arrival of introduced plants, including marijuana. Archaeologists believe that Madagascar may have been an important stopping point along a trade route that ran from southeast Asia to east Africa.

• Like 2

Madagascar has so many unique plant and animal species, its real biodiversity hotspot, and because of its isolation, plant species have been left to evolve from their original species into a completely separate species, most even being reclassified or initially reclassified. Like those islands Darwin wrote about with the lizards and the salt water... I forget the name.

It makes sense that the cannabis there will be quite unique, and with 2000 odd years to evolve to a tropical African sun!!! Edit, did you smoke any?

• Like 1

It is most probable that hidden gems of marijuana would be found in the East.

The East side of the Island is tropical and very lush.

There is a mountain range that runs north to south which creates a rain shadow.

The prevailing ocean winds come fom the East travelling Westwards when they hit the mountain ridge they deposit the warm wet water as it hits the cooler air of the mountains.

To the west of the mountains becomes very desserty and is where you will see the iconic Baobab trees.

Peace

Lamsbread

Those Darwin islands.. The Galapagos maybe? I did try some while I was out there, purely out of cultural politness you understand, and it was very 'trippy'.

The areas I visited on the nature trek were staggeringly beautiful, however, the island has suffered heartbreaking environmental damage to all of it's major biomes due to the Malagasy addiction to lighting wildfires :(

You maybe right about the East, Lamsbread, although all the best plants I saw were, in fact, in the West of the Island! The West is in a rain shadow but sees an annual monsoon that usually lasts from mid November until mid March. It's the tropics man cool

The areas I saw it in reminded me of wet wadi habitat or flood plains in the middle east a bit.. or even some of those countries with 'stan at the end of their names!

The most exciting part, for me, of The Strain Hunters potentially visiting the country is that we know the islanders have lived in almost complete isolation from each other for hundreds of years. Trading goods just didn't/doesn't happen as most villages are engaged in subsistence living. I can only assume, however, that this incudes cannabis. The Strain Hunters would definitley be taking a leap of faith by visiting Madagascar but who knows what they might find if they do go wink

Yeah, the Galapagos, with the lizzards and their salt tolerance! ...or something along those lines....

The cannabis in and around central and southern africa is stupid trippy. Mozambique has this deadly looking black-red bud that turns you into a blubbering cave man attracted to shiny things... and its not fermented like some swazi and malawi buds, it just becomes very dark when dried. You don't find it much around Ponto in the south, there its all swazi, but further north is starts getting mystical!

The Sun; it does magical things to cannabis.

Did you do any surfing while you were there? Theres a spot in Anakao on the west coast with the most epic and continious left....... mmmmmm.

I didn't do any surfing although I did go to a few places after the nature trek tour to do some rock climbing! Some of the best sunshine climbing i've ever done although some of the best routes were way above my grade! I ended up doing about 25 routes over a few weeks. This isn't my movie but I did climb on these crags cool

I had a look for the place you mentioned and found this clip; I see what you mean!!

• 6 years later...

There's a replica boat Malays and Indonesians rowed to Madagascar both at Halmahera and at the Oceanography centre in Nosy Be if you can get them to answer phone/open door. Man did row there - it's not just the weed that's a give away but also things like the Valiha (a musical instrument that is believed to have first originated in Phillipines), food (rice, tamarind) and a very funky named ornamental plant - Clitoria Ternatea - which occurs naturally only in Ternate and Tidore islands. It's had long enough to evolve into a slightly bluer flower so there's now Clitoria endemic to Madagascar - and its now considered endemic to many countries particularly those where slaves ended up. 

I do agree the eastern weed at Diego Suarez near the Tsingy forest is better than the fairly bland Sativa on the west. The weirdest one I came across in Madagascar was down near Belon'i Tsiribihina in the Menabe region...bright orange seeds and it  tasted like lemur pee to smoke. Out of the 5 different regions I smoked either weed or hash in..I'd have to say the Orange Lemur Pee had the nicest effect once you got past the taste.

• 1 year later...

As i am from Madagascar, i can say that we can found two kinds of landraces here : a strong indica from the south of the island (in Toliara's province) that is very popular among the smokers in the capital antananarivo (we call it "toulouzy", which is a slang world to describe the kind of weed that comes from this region), and a hybrid that is popular in the north and north-east of the island which according to me, results from the hybridation between the local pure sativa landrace that is nowadays very difficult to find (it is similar to the Zamal in La Réunion island, what they call Zamal is derivated from the malagasy word "jamala" which means weed) and the indica one. The indica one has a earthy, cypres smell, sometimes a little skunky and the hybrid one has almost the same taste and smell, it is kinda difficult to make the difference between before you feel their effects. And according to me (because the history of cannabis in madagascar is not very clear), the indica one were brought by the people who came from india, and the sativa one is the real landrace here because it is similar to the ones that we can find in the east africa.

So, i can say that weed culture in madagascar still remains not clear till nowadays that's why i strongly recommend my country to be a destination of Strainhunters because our weed has very much potential but unfortunately not so much discovered.

• Like 2

• 8 months later...
On 18/09/2019 at 2:02 PM, tsiresy said:

As i am from Madagascar, i can say that we can found two kinds of landraces here : a strong indica from the south of the island (in Toliara's province) that is very popular among the smokers in the capital antananarivo (we call it "toulouzy", which is a slang world to describe the kind of weed that comes from this region), and a hybrid that is popular in the north and north-east of the island which according to me, results from the hybridation between the local pure sativa landrace that is nowadays very difficult to find (it is similar to the Zamal in La Réunion island, what they call Zamal is derivated from the malagasy word "jamala" which means weed) and the indica one. The indica one has a earthy, cypres smell, sometimes a little skunky and the hybrid one has almost the same taste and smell, it is kinda difficult to make the difference between before you feel their effects. And according to me (because the history of cannabis in madagascar is not very clear), the indica one were brought by the people who came from india, and the sativa one is the real landrace here because it is similar to the ones that we can find in the east africa.

So, i can say that weed culture in madagascar still remains not clear till nowadays that's why i strongly recommend my country to be a destination of Strainhunters because our weed has very much potential but unfortunately not so much discovered.

Mila contact anao aho raha mety

• 3 weeks later...