lighting

Trooper

i started a lighting thread in the old site so i may as well start one on this all new improved site too Ill keep it simple , What do people use , Anyone else had a play with cfls and what was your results , What do people recommend , And lastly what ballasts are people using , There is a reason for all these questions im due to buy a whole heap of stuff for my new grow room in a couple months and who better to ask than the growers them selves

• Like 1

Hey threre Troop,,

CFL'S

Veg 2 x 125 watt Eco-lights (6400k) white/blue spectrum daylight,,

Bloom 2 x 125 watt Eco-lights (2700k) red spectrum warm white,,

Veg/bloom 1 x 125 watt Eco-light (25000k) blue/red spectrum purple,,

These days I do all my veg under CFL'S,,

Just my opinion but I find I get better internodal spacing and much better veg,,

I have also bloomed under CFL'S with good results,,

(You can bloom very well under CFL'S)

(Although there are a lot of people that say you can't)

(WELL YOU CAN)

But I recently treated myself to a new toy !

I figured I'ld been using magnetic ballasts for so long it was time for a change,,

Time to step into the electronic age !!!!!!

So I treated myself to a 600 watt dimable electronic ballast,,

496be21c-0e6d-4563-ad36-88f31d9ac276.jpg

It features 3 power settings,,

50%-75%-100%,,

473.jpg

It will run MH and HPS but you can't dim the MH bulbs,,

I look forword to seeing the results over the next couple of months,,,,,,,,,

Yoo Trooper =) well.. usually the lights and ballasts power depends on the grow area and also you have to keep in mind that plants need special lamps with full spectrums... for example a 105W CFL Grow Lamp (6400K - Blue) from AgroLite, I'm using 1 for Seedlings, Small plants, and Cuttings (Clones) (area of 1mx40cmx60cm) just to keep them on Vegetative and Growing..

I recommend for a new grow room that will enable you to Grow and Flower plants vigorously a Grow/Flow Kit HPS 600W , covers a good 1.5m² or less of area (2-5 plants) .. Also you can start with a 400W HPS Kit (that covers a area of 1m² or less... 2 plants) But You never know when ya decide to start growing more then 2 plants.. . Anyway the AgroLite ones that i'm using are quite good and cheap ;)

Agrolite 105W CFL Grow Lamp (No Ballast required for CFLs]) :

agrolite_105_cfl.jpg

600W Grow/Flow Kit with AgroLite HPS Grow&Flow Lamp and elect. Ballast (Plug & Play Ballast just like a PC power supply one) :

kit agrolite hps.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

I have a few micro grows inside while I wait for the summer. I have one area that is 4'w/4'h/2'd. I am using a 4' 4 bulb T5 with mixed bulbs. I have been able to grow several plants through bud with no problem, but T5s won't penetrate through the foliage.

I had tried CFLs, but found them to be hotter than the T5s, and not as good IMHO. I also just picked up a few LED 120w lights through Craigslist. These I have in two grow boxes, (one in each box) and they are fantastic. Cool running and seem to cover 4x4x4 area great. $150 a piece on craigslist. If you have looked there, do.

In the summer I move my ladies outside, so in the winter I just play with auto flower dwarfs and get my mother ready. ;)

• 2 weeks later...

I use 10 of the new T5 florescent tubes for veg. The beauty of these is that you can get these real close to the tops without a heat problem. With the use of a good side shoot stimulant (vertical growth inhibitor), you can get these real fat for flowering! When I get them approx. 2/3 of the projected height, I move them to the 4'x4'x7' flowering tent. For flowering, I use a Hortilux 600 watt HPS. The close proximity of the florescent lights combined with the side shoot stimulant will ensure maximum canopy! I promise!

• 3 years later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

il recommand using 1000w bulb if you can handle this heat, Hortilux are in my book, the best brand .... for the VEg they got the HORTILUX MH BLUE ..... this is the best light i ever use for veg time, and HORTILUX SUPER HPS for flowering ... they are really good bulb, you have to remmember plant needs energy, and transform it into tissue....bigger light ? bigger yield ! .... i dont know why seed company still using the g/m2 scale... as i find better to count it in g/watts ! .............. in ballast, i dont recommand anyone to buy ELECTRONIC BALLAST for the moment , they are just wayy to expensive (around 440$ us) for what u get, sure you got new technoligie, but in fact, it will not make your garden more efficient or productive. i reocmmend to buy the CHEAPEST magnetic ballast (110$ us) (the one you have to wire yourself) and invest more in the quality of your bulbs ... buying a hortilux (120$) instead of a sylvania or philips alto (50$). you save money, and get same result :D

• Like 1

• 8 months later...
  • 7 months later...