water gel / crystals

Maffro

Well its winter time now and the freezing weather is taking its toll, im thinking about next years crop while smoking this years crop ! For my next little project im thinking about autos that dont need to be touched once put outside. This year the best flavour and hit came from a supercritauto that id just left for ten weeks in a mop bucket full of soil with no feeds or water, i know it was wet this year but it got me thinking about a crop that takes as little maintenance as possible.

So ive heard about people preping their soils with water gels or water crystals that can reduce watering by 50 % (?) So my plan is to prep the soil mixture for my auto crop with some of this so that once the plants are out i can just leave them till harvest time with maybe just one visit.

So if anyone has used these products can someone please give me some advice on what to use and what to expect and whether or not the plan is flawed !

Happy smoking y'all

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I was thinking about this crystals too, outdoor wise is really a big help going once a week just to check on the plants, i found some sites that use them for sugar cane or lawns and other agricolture purposes, sound like they are good, but will the weed taste change couse of this gel/crystals ? that's a big question :/

ciao

Mr.B

Edit: Found the answere --> http://www.stonerforums.com/lounge/growfaq/1490.html

( i read the rules and i think there is no problem on postink a lin to another forum right ? )

seems like the crystals/gels must be labeled " safe for agricolture and food crops " ;) meaning that they are made of polyacrylamides

maybe the bad toxic reports are about crystals/gels that are labeled "Environmentally friendly" mening that they are made of polyacrylates and start breaking down after 4 to 6 months and the plant's absorb the crystal/gels component, the " safe for agricolture and food crops "instead break down in 5-7 years so they are safe, at least this is what the guide i linked says.

in the endd i don't know if this crystal/gels are 100% safe or not, sorry

Ciao

Mr B

Ok guy's i contacted a company ( i don't know if i can tell the company name, it's against the rules? i'm not sure ) and they told me that they made some test on crops ( fruit and vegetables ) and told me that for them they are completly safe ( no trace of the polymer in the harvest ) , so let's try them out,

i'll get you updated on this, they can get thing easyer :)

Ciao

Mr B

• Like 1

ok! thanks Tokage!

the company is the Watersob in US

they ship worldwide so there's no problem there, i have asked them a lot of question i'll sum them up when they'll answer all of them if you wanna know ( or contact them directly if you are interested )

Ciao

Mr. B

• 2 weeks later...

Wonderful news, my knees are happy ! Think ill leave a few autos to their own devices next year with the crystal powers help.

Somebody told me once (down the pub so it must be true) that if you still a bit of hash to a crystal then leave it out under the full moon light it gets you well fucked ! Happy new year everyone, cant wait for the spring

• 1 month later...

Just checked some internet shops and the water gels are pretty inexspensive and ive found some gel mats that line hanging baskets so looks like theres a place in this years adventure for teh old Water gel experiment, may even stick some in a regular plant too. Blurb on the feedback says that the plants need watering once a week though but lets see if that can be stretched !

Water retaining granule/gel – Information from the royal horticultural society

Water-retaining granules can be added to growing medium to increase its ability to retain water for longer periods of time. They may help reduce the demand of frequent watering during dry spells and are particularly handy in hanging baskets and containers, and where coarse-textured free-draining potting media is used.

Why use water-retaining granules?

Water-retaining granules swell to many times their size when wet and act as a helping hand with watering. Keeping lots of containers and hanging baskets wetted can be very time-consuming but by adding granules to the compost at the time of potting it may reduce the amount of times you would need to water.

However the addition of granules does not replace the need for regular checking of container plants for watering needs, especially when the plants are growing strongly and during dry weather.

Where to use water-retaining granules

Hanging baskets: The granules should be added to the growing medium as the baskets are being made up, at the manufactures recommended rate. Hanging baskets can be difficult to water, have little growing medium and dry out quickly as they are often high up and exposed to the wind. Adding water-retaining granules may help reduce the effects of water stress and produce a healthy, full basket. However, it is also important to use a fine-textured potting medium as well.

Containers: Pots that are crammed with plants or have fast-growing plants in them such as annual climbers are more likely to benefit from the addition of granules than those containing drought-tolerant or slow-growing plants such as succulents. Add the granules when you are re-potting a container or when you are planting up a new container.

For plants in the ground: Mixing in plenty of organic material such as composted garden waste is more effective than adding water-retaining granules to the soil.

Taking cuttings: Some water-retaining granules can be used neat and swollen with water as a rooting medium for cuttings in the same way that cuttings can be rooted in jars of water.

Cut flowers: Add water to the granules as instructed and then put them in your desired container and add flowers. Food dyes can also be added to give different effects.

However, always follow individual product instructions as different quantities of the product are needed for different purposes.

Using and disposing of granules

Points to note when using water-retaining granules:

• Granules will swell to a considerably bigger size when wet compared to dry so be careful not to exceed the rate of application recommended on the pack when adding them to potting composts. An excess amount will swell and push the plants up and out of their containers
  • Some products have feed added to them and there is now potting compost with the granules already added
  • Ensure the packages are stored cool , dry and out of the sunlight
  • This product is potentially harmful so after handling always wash your hands and keep it out of the reach of children

Disposal of water-retaining granules:

Water-retaining granules do break down over time; one product claims it breaks down within five years. So when your growing media with the granules added is spent, it can be added to your garden compost pile. This can then be used either as mulch or dug into the soil as a soil conditioner.

• This is only suitable for clean spent growing medium that has no suspected pest or diseases; this should be disposed of at your local refuse centre
  • Also be aware that if you use this as mulch the swollen granules can appear strange (like a clear jelly when wet) sat on top of the soil

Copied and pasted from the royal horticultural society –

http://apps.rhs.org.uk/advicesearch/Profile.aspx?pid=692

History of Water Absorbing Polymers

Water absorbing polymers (water crystals) have actually been around since the 1960’s. The company Union Carbide first used them to help grow plants in arid conditions. The first versions of water crystals were expensive and not necessarily efficient for home use. However, the technology gradually improved and now these water-saving hydrogels are widely used by professional horticulturists, farmers, nurseries, and home gardeners. Water absorbing gel products, such as Greensense Solid Water, can help reduce the number of times you water your landscaping by up to 50%. Greensense Solid Water is also completely safe and non-toxic, and poses no health risk to you, your family, your pets, or your neighbors. Solid Water is potassium-based and is specially designed for use in agriculture, gardening, and horticulture.

How Water Absorbing Polymers Work

Water absorbing polymer gels work by absorbing high quantities of water, in addition to beneficial nutrients, and then slowly releasing the water through osmosis. When mixed into the soil, the gel polymers come in direct contact with the roots of your garden plants and grass, thus making the water easily available to your plants. This translates to extremely efficient use of water in your landscaping or with your potted plants.

You can use gel polymers for a variety of plants and growing conditions. They work great on lawns, potted plants, annuals, perennials, vegetables, fruits, etc. In addition to storing water and reducing water use in your garden, water absorbing polymers have other benefits. Because they expand and take up space in the soil, they can help with soil aeration and soil porosity. If you have clay soils, gel polymers can help increase soil porosity and the amount of oxygen in the soil. Gel polymers are not affected by extreme weather conditions or soil compaction.

If you’re concerned about problems with root rot, gel polymers can actually help with this problem. The slow release of water doesn’t necessarily mean that your roots will be super-saturated for extended periods of time. Even if they stay wet for extended periods of time, gel polymers will never mold or mildew.

Additionally, the added air pockets reduce problems with root rot, and the gel crystals only absorb to their capacity. If you use fertilizers or pesticides, gel polymers will not have an effect on the functioning of these products. Another excellent benefit of these products is that once applied, they can continue to work 5 to 7 years with just one treatment.

If you’d like to use some non-xeric plants in your garden, the hydrogels will help decrease the amount of water they consume. While this doesn’t mean that you shouldn’t use a wide selection of low water use plants in your garden if you want to save water, it does mean you can cheat a little and grow a few aesthetically pleasing high water use plants. Note that using gel polymers with drought tolerant plants further increases their water saving benefits.

You should keep in mind that the use of water absorbing polymer gels and xeriscaping techniques is important no matter what part of the country you live in. Although xeriscaping originated in the arid West, gardeners throughout the country are utilizing xeriscaping to help reduce their water use, and the amount of time they spend watering and maintaining the garden. Products like Solid Water can make a big impact on your garden, no matter where you live!

Tips for Using Water Absorbing Polymers

If you decide to use Solid Water in your landscaping or for you potted plants, you’ll need to follow the application instructions very carefully. Here are some basic tips for applying Solid Water.

For new landscaping, you should apply 1 lb. per 1000 sq. ft. of area. Spread evenly with a spreader or by hand so that a light blanket covers the treated area. Once evenly spread out, you’ll need to cultivate the polymer about 6†deep into the soil. If you’d like to use the hydrogel on an existing lawn, you should first aerate your lawn. You can then mix 1 lb. of polymer with 50 pounds of humate and distribute the mixture over 4000 square feet of your lawn.

For new potted plants, you should mix the hydrogel into the soil before planting. Follow the chart on this website so that you apply the correct amount of hydrogel depending on the size of your plant. For potted plants that you already have growing, you’ll need to make holes in the soil and then add the polymer. The chart on this website can help you determine the amount of polymer to add.

Copied and pasted from Cleanairgardening.com - http://www.cleanairgardening.com/waterpolymer.html

Product manufacturers and product information

Swellgel - http://www.swellgel.co.uk/waterwise.html

Miracle-gro Moisture control - http://www.lovethegarden.com/product-details/miracle-gro-moisture-control-gel

Miraclr-gro Moisture control plant food - http://www.lovethegarden.com/product-details/miracle-gro-moisture-control-plant-food

Chempak – water retaining gel – Site under construction

Chempak – food and drink – Site under construction

Westland - Water saving gel - http://www.gardenhealth.com/products/plant-food-and-fertilisers/general-purpose/water-saving-gel/

Hozelock

Raingel - http://www.savewater.co.uk/Shop/Water_Saving_-_Garden/RGEL250X_Rain-Gel.html

Peace Lams

• Like 2

Ya man nice work

Amazon have all the Hozelock stuff pretty cheap too, think thats the stuff im going with for the autos - will do a comparison with the normals too - AMS - see if they benefit. Anyone know if they retain the nutes and how do you go about flushing ?

• 4 weeks later...

Ive just ordered my water retaining gels and also water holding gels ! Pretty sure they are the same product but come in different packets ! from the same company so lets see which is better. Also ordered a Kg of perlite so i can experiment with diff mixes, got 3 easyriders to work with and ill pot them up at the end of the month.

Any suggestions to the 3 mixes are more than welcome

• Like 2

Hey guys!! I am using Stockosorb. I bought 200g, and that will be far enough for my outdoors! It is like 4-5 euro/ pack... I have used them without any probs, and will in the future! You can apply it many ways, but i advice to u to mix it well with the medium before adding water. It is not harmfull at all! But don't taste it!!! :D I think it is a great material, and a must for every guerillagrower on drier climates! Plants can take 2 weeks without water....

The water retaining gel acts as mini reserviors, when the soil dries out the still hold water.

The dry soil has lots of air in it, when the roots come in contact with the gel they draw water from it though osmosis.

The gel does not make the soil water logged and does not inhibit the air holding capacity of the soil.

Water logged soil or heavy clay soil will affect the quantity of air in the soil, so the advice would be don't over water soils to the point of water logging or with clay soils add organic mater and agrigates such as sand, grit for drianage and perlite or clay pebbles for air holding capacity.

A clay soil naturally holds more moisture and would not benefit from gels as a light sandy soil would.

Peace

Lams

• Like 1

The above post was in reply to toka's question.

"Natural question would be. What about extra air too the roots? It seems too me that it would be very importend because of the longer time it would take too "dry" out the plant and air the roots?"

Peace

Lams