SO.. who's actually worked with any Landraces..

Flail

So, I've been thinking... With so many land-race seeds available from some questionable and some respectable breeders

Has anyone really had a chance to work with any, Indoors or out, hydro or whatever?

Thinking maybe this post could be a review spot for breeders Land-races inform us about grow difficulties or issue and help those who choose to experiment get on the right strains and not waste time.

thanks guys.

• Like 4

• 1 month later...

I haven't grown any myself either. I do have a friend in Colorado working with landraces. He has a strain from the town Hailed Salassie was from in eithiopia. And a lowlands columbian. I think that saving all these landraces now is gonna make huge impact. Think of them as the building block for future awesome strains.

I got no clue where to buy true 100 % landraces over the internet. Thing is that you get one pretty simlar generation, but unless it is stabilized with every new seed generation the character will be lost esp. outdoors. Cloning might help. OTH do not expect to get a superior plant from a good landrace indoors. The typical character and taste comes from soil, climate , grower and surroundings. A cetain Sativa might hit the spot perfectly in a tropical country, but in europe you still may prefer an Indica couchlock or the complexity of a hybrid.

The landraces are important for mainly two reasons.

a) keep that indigenous strain alive and away from extinction for generations to come

and

B) as a building block for new strains.

Sure breeding a fine Orange Hill seed is a top priority on my list, but in the long term other strains might be better for indoor or this climate and lifestyle..

Mix it with a Kush or with a White strain might be interesting, just like breeding a super Sativa with some Haze .....

The possibilities are endless.

Hope they sell them as regular seeds, too- ....

• Like 1

I think romeu is growing a landrace. Angola or something.....

I have a friend that grows a natural wheat landrace (natural landrace= the romans grew it) It produces less than regular wheat and a seed of less quality (or so the wheat industry says.) But he likes his bread to be as natural as possible. (no pesticides, no fertilizers)

Who´s responsible for the loss of the landraces?

1. people that want better crops.

2. Breeders that make better seeds. (

3. globalization: Some farmer in the last corner of the world can order seeds from a high tech breeder thousands of kilometers away.

The way I see it all landraces will be lost eventualy or they will be contaminated with genes from artificially selected seeds.

The job Franco, Arjan and the Greenhouse team are doing is of very high ecological value. It´s very important to save those landraces! Even if they are introduced species, they are naturalized species like olive trees in spain or wheat in france.

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I have 4 pure landraces obtained from original growers from their very source. No 1. mauritius island sativa, No 2. Ethiopian highland, No 3. tanzanian magic, No 4. malawi gold. I am currently growing the ethiopian highland and tanzanian magic as i am in their climate. I shall be creating a post for these plants with pictures and descriptions soon. If any body needs info on east african strains and the indian ocean strains, be glad to help.

• Like 1

MNEESE, the african strain you talk about is the ethiopian highland which i have, originally from shashemene, land which Haile Selassie I gave to the rastafarian community not where he himself came from! This strain was regarded the first smoked by rastafarians from ethiopia. I have seen many phenos over the years, the plants are considered the best smoke in kenya after the first grade malawi gold and is also being grown indoors in kenya. Some plants show bright orange hairs and thus dealers are now using the name orange kush to sell the product. This sativa produces some massive buds when grown in proper outdoor conditions and produce some mind blowing head highs

• Like 3

Mauritian grower: your right its the highland. A very nice smoke for sure. It made me overly paranoid though. I wouldn't use it for anti anxiety that's for sure. Thanks and would like to see any photos you have of the landraces you mentioned.

• 1 month later...

He Guy´s

love to grow Landraces It dosn´t matter wether Indica or Sativa currently I have 4 Indica plants to sprout.... 2 Pakistan Valley "north Pakistan Hindu Kush Area" , 1 Ketama Xaoen "original maroccan Hashplant", 1 Afghan Kush "Afghanistan also Hindu Kush Area", I also had 2 Brazil Amazonia but no one sprouting after 10 Days so I decided to ditch both of them :( pics follows in the next Days

Greetings PencilJoe

• Like 2

Hi people

I have been growing South African KwaZulu and Brazilian amazonia from clones. SAK is 100% sativa and BA is 100% indica. so they are different 100% :) But i would suggest anyone to grow this two strains together. South African KwaZulu have the earthy taste when cured nice. The pistols are dark orange and the strain is fire. It takes about 9 to 12 weeks to mature properly.I would recommend during harvest to cut all possible leaves and when place them tu cure should only be buds( the leaves on this strain may make the taste harsh). And about Brazilian Amazonia that indica is perfect for when the sun goes down and you wanna get the couch position and popcorns :):) Is maturing in 8-9 weeks but the production is guaranteed if you keep the plants in 3+ weeks veging period. Two lovely strains two grow. SAK goes well with SOG and grows well after topping. BA should be topped in early veging stage and left over to heal and make nice brunches. would not preffered it to be gronw in SOG or SCROG.

Peace and dont forget he earth strains :):):)

• 3 weeks later...

South African KwaZulu is Sativa land-race from south Africa. When i was doing the research for it i found out that the tribes in southafrican had been smoking this strain when they were occupied by the British soldiers and that kinda help them to get some of the battles :):) sounds interesting right? And about the strain, is sativa like many others with earthy taste is very nice if you tried it it is not possible to not recognise it after. If harvested earlyer it would be the satva efects like we all know uplefting, but if you leavi it for a full cicle than i would say that it gets that indica felling of couch-lock :)

you can check up on this links some about it:

http://www.cannabis-seeds.co.uk/worldofseeds/south-african-kwazulu.html

http://www.herbiesheadshop.com/world-of-seeds-landrace-south-african-kwazulu-seeds-1431

or you can do research by your self. And when i grew it i did not get the big top cola on the top but i got small buds because i streched the plant. It may be similar to orange haze but the taste is more sweet and earthy. If you get any interesting info about it it would be nice to hear. So nice strain i got to get my hands on it again as soon as possible.

peace

• 1 month later...

I'm working with a landrace right now and have been for the past couple of years. I was trying it in garden soil but it just didn't work out for many reasons. Now I've set up a drip to waste coco system set up in my garden outdoors. It's the SE Asian landrace sativa, the same genetics as the strain in the GHS video called Thai tanic. Looks the same and like no other plant I've seen in real life or online pics, unless they claim to be SE Asian landrace that is. It's a real monster sativa and never ever wants to stop growing, even all the way through flowering. I'm just a little over a month in with my first plant with lots of seeds popping to join now, but already I see a huge improvement over my soil grows. I have it posted up in the grow area, drop in and check it out from time to time if you will.

• 5 weeks later...

a year and a half ago I bought a 10 pack of Hash passion, regular seeds from "Seedsman Seeds" the ad claims its a land-race from Morocco (http://www.seedsman....h-passion-seeds). I planted all 10 seeds at the same time, indoors, soil, 1kw HPS (all phases); potted up through to 5 gal. grow bags fed urine and molassas for veg and some synthetic orchid food (10-35-15 not so good I know...) finished with a 2 week molassas flush.

I got a 7:3 female to male population of distinctly indica, but otherwise variable crop in terms of structure, height, aromas, trich production and finishing time. They were low to no smell during juvenile stages and took on a strong lemony sweet scent in late flower that faded to an "orange sherbert made of sweet-tarts" kind of aroma during/after cure. End product had a strong tart bite followed by piney earthy goodness.

I selected my favorite female (she grew bud on the plates of her fan leaves), took clones and made a cross with a sensi-star male and re-vegged her.

The original mother is currently in her second re-vegg of her year and a half long life after vegetating and flowering again; only outdoors in a huge container for a whole season. So far one of her F1s has a grape smell/taste and that's got me excited since both parents were leaning strongly twards citrus...sorry im getting off topic.

My light proofing indoors and out could seriously use improvement but she and her progeny have never hermed. thats about all i have to say about that...

:slow::tease:

• Like 2

• 4 months later...

I've been lucky enough to acquire the famed Columbian Gold. A 100% Landrace Sativa taking a full 12-14 wks to fully mature, but the end result was one of the best varieties I ever encountered. This genetic gem was gifted from the well known breeder British Hempire and reworked to perfection. Spicy sandlewood, leather and frankensense. I can't wait until GHS releases the landraces from their travels.

• Like 1

Grew out some seeds from uganda a few years ago. Got them from some really dark and trippy bushweed. All seeds popped and grew really tall and bushy. They started to flower but our climate here in the wet patch just didnt have a long enough autumn to ripen them. Took one inside for special treatment and the buds we got were pretty tasty. All the others succumbed to our grisly weather. Buggers.

• Like 1