grafting mother plants

hey guys

ive just stumbled upon a post from another site about grafting cannabis plants to minimize the amount of mother plants you have in your veg room ive also found a few vids on youtube but neither give very much info on the mater so i was hopping that someone here has either done it or knows something about it

the main points that im not to clear on are

the best strains to use as the main plant (best root structure)

best medium ie NFT DWC soil ect

how old should the main plant be

any amount of input into this techniques would be much appreciated

Hi man there are few posts on mothers here too.

I remember once superbluehaze advice's was to wait at least 8 weeks before taking clones on a mama, in order to have the best results.

I think that for me soil is a good solution for mamas, maybe easier in order to keep a girl a long time but probably hydro works as well ^^

And about the strain, there is no special strain, a mother should be a plant that you love, in the way she grows, in her smoke, and that you want to keep ;) or simply choose the most beautiful and vigorous with best phenotype to your eyes.

Good luck man i hope some pros of moma will come around i ain't no pro on that point ^^

hey dust dont think you got my point

what im saying is that you have one main stem of a strong plant then you graft a totally different strain onto one of the branches so you would have for instance

take a strong slh mother plant then make a notch in a well established branch

then take a cutting from say a cheese plant and place it into the notch in the slh branch so you then have a slh and cheese mother

so you can take cheese only clones as well as takeing slh only clones but still only have one plant

do you see what i mean now

read about this technique in my quest to presserve strains in a small space... you can have mulitple strains grafted onto 1 main plant being the host...u use rooting powder/gel and insert a cut into a cavity that you'll make on the host plant then use something like bees wax , cling wrap or even tape to seal off the area and spray it like u would a clone to keep it humid.

Hoping to experiment with this tech really soon.

Heres a great example of how efficient it is

• Like 1

ive been thinking of tinkering with this for years now. if i do ill post my expirament. ive seen it done on tiny clones 2. just after rooting u splice on your "scion"(scion- the actual name for a grafted branch). its used mostly in the fruit industry. pretty much every fruit u find at the store is grown from a scion. cuz fruit grown from seed has a vast genetic devercity and u will never get a gala apple from a gala apple seed. so they use grafting like we use cloning to propogate strains

well i think im going to have to wait until next winter now because im coming up to the busy period on the farm soon so wont have much time to play with things but i will defo be trying this it will be so good just to have 1 mother plant at the moment i have 5 strains