Tell us about your first grow mistakes...

ivankov

oh shit what happened brother, how do you grow now?

My guess is as good as yours but: Hydro and "non necessarily organic nutes".

My biggest mistake was overwatering (or being to "carefull" so to say), when i consider how tough that plant is i'm kind of laughing at myself being so scared about their well being at first.

I'm not saying i treat my plant like crap now,just that one tend to get over-zealous (can you say that?) with your plants at first and over-watering is a symptom of that behavior i believe...

Peace!

Same here . treat the seedlings like Tamagotchies..lol. Water, water water, no feedings, just Coco ...First batcjhof seeds went into Jiffy's - went to a party - overslept next day and left the Jiffy's dried out. 4/6 dead ! Next time no Jiffy's but pots with soilBuried the seeds too deep - never to be sprouted. Take the root cubicle and lose it on the way to the hole somewhere inb the soil

Crazy stuff, you would't believe everything could go wrong, went wrong. Building blocks to bring the pots closer to the light and BANG- kicked over - The onyl Arjan Haze #3 fell on it's face in a 3 litre Air root pot and the stem was broken - F*** total loss.

The AB being transplanted properly - I wanna put it outside in a cellar window - step on my bed . push the pot outside, not thinking about a dip of 15 cm behind the wall of the window and the ground, so the pot fell over...

Normal no prob at that stage, but I wanted to flush it later on and the soil was dry so out came the AB.back into the smaller pot, put it back at least 1 week...

Unbelievable - so many accidents/mistakes on my first grow.

Murphy's Law at full effect.....

Yeah even though i'm a fairly novice grower i already have more than i ever expected of fallen and other decapitated girls :P We learn haha i mean not only with the plant but becoming better more carefull and responsible person!

Gotta love growing weed ;)

Peace

@Bam Hole: We're all respectfull members, you dont have to fuckin auto censor ;)

• Like 1

But seriously..

My first indoor effort was using 100 gathered bag seeds, I missed a male in the SoG, it managed to spaff everywhere and half the crop was seeds! Lesson - observe properly, take the time to really check each plant & buy F1 seeds!

So I bought 30 GHSC F1s, then managed to kill the whole batch seedlings with heat / dryness / lack of checking, so bought another 30, fired them up then moved them into 3 inch cubes to quick and managed to water them to death! This was a lesson in babycare & proper rockwool management. (a fucking £200 lesson I may add & was pretty embarrassed walking into the seed shop 3 weeks running!)

But the biggest lesson, that I still have to shout in my head nearly everyday, is 'Don't Save Time!'

So often I'll find my self 'saving time' by just doing something quickly / assuming it's probably fine, or stretching across plants instead of going round, or balancing on one leg holding an open bottle of acid trying to grab a pipette off a shelf without moving a box thats in the way... All these actions are going to lead to horrible cock ups if repeated enough, yet in order to save apparently precious seconds I'll just start doing it the shit way!

Now most of the time I'll clock that i'm up to one of these time saving larks, and I mentally slap myself with the aforementioned expression

Peace Out

• 6 years later...

Mine was an unusual fuck up that's forever left me chasing rainbows. I bought some SSH seeds (mistake number one, until then I'd had growers with indicas and hybrids only doing the grows for me) from GH, nursed them home,  via Skype and lots of phone calls to my experienced friends set up a tent with 2 x 600w HPS, nothing spectacular just the usual set up. Popped the seeds forgetting I had a dive commitment, left them for three days to find giraffe necked pathetic seedling dried out clinging to life so there was my first mistake. I eventually got them going...overwatered, overfed, snapped stems and used human bandaids,  made all the rookie mistakes but they seemed to want to live to spite me. I got them to scrogging and started wondering if all plants were this tough or I was supposed to be scrogging twice a day because of the ridiculously rampant and strong growth. A friend dropped in for a holiday and helped me but the plants were lifting the netting so we resorted to lumps of 4 x 2 on the tent floor as extra anchor points. He also looked at me in horror when I was mixing notes and pointed out I'd been feeding them an aggressive schedule - right from the beginning. Being SSH and being more familiar with Indica grows my life became...are they ready yet, are they ready yet. Finally when it was absolutely impossible to get in the tent other than sliding like a snake on the floor and Santa had come and gone I had worked out they couldn't possibly go any longer than the 16 weeks flower they'd tormented me with and set a harvest date...except my son got pulled over driving my car leading to a series of events that meant nice Mr Policeman was going to come to my house and visit to drop off the warning notice the next day. Harvest day. Had to get them gone so I put out an urgent call to friends and thanks to a couple of very helpful trimmers by daylight we had tent gone, entire room had been cleaned, all traces of everything gone so Mr Policeman hopefully would be cool when he arrived at 8am the next morning. 

Id used so much Nag Champa incense my house smelled like a Kashmiri opium den so luckily he didn't stay long.

Dry weight from 2 plants - 3.75 pound. That was my biggest mistake - I expect that yield all the time now :(

• 3 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...