Hi from SE Asia

Azean

Hi all,

I've been researching and learning to grow in the tropics for a couple of years now and finally seem to have learned enough to bring the long term local Asian sativas to harvest this year. I think I actually know enough to grow all I need for personal use now, with plenty extra to share with a few close friends. Currently I have both a Thai and Cambodian landrace female in my garden. The Thai plant is in full sun, which was a mistake. The Cambo is looking much better in partial shade. The tropical sun is just a bit too intense for full exposure, I think, as the Thai plant is in excellent soil yet is doing much poorer than the Cambodian plant which is well shaded but in good but not great soil.

The next round I have a couple of ideas that I feel will ensure better results. I'll put them all in partial shade and mix high quality soil before transplanting into the garden. I feel sure that's all of the refinement needed for the best possible results. I'm also planning to acquire some GHS seeds to cross with these excellent Asian sativas. For my situation I'd prefer to tame these two varieties just a bit and shorten their height as much as possible with as little compromise as possible in the resulting high. I am eagerly awaiting your advice, and please keep in mind that I live in the tropics and can grow a small personal garden but can't have 15 ft sativas towering over the neighborhood.

I think that pretty much does it for introductions, that's what I am doing and why I'm here. From my own experience and research I have to say the GHS guys are, for me, the best there is when focusing on breeding and growing as well as their overall attitude towards the world and their place in it so why would I mess around anywhere else?

Hi Azean, welcome on Sh forum, damn you are lucky to still have the possibility to grow landraces when you want, would love to have a local landrace in my country too, but i don't lol.

I hope you'll have a good time on SH with us, it is a very friendly place ;)

If you got any problem on the forum don't hesitate to ask one of the mod we'll do our best to help you ;)

Don't hesitate to come have a chat with us when you'll feel ready for it :rabbi:

About your plants in full sun that don't like it, don't you have possibility to use a shading net above your plants?

Have a good discovering of the site, see ya online

About your plants in full sun that don't like it, don't you have possibility to use a shading net above your plants?

Have a good discovering of the site, see ya online

Thanks Dust,

I have put a shading net above the Thai plant about a week ago, it looks better already. I'm going to keep doing what I can for it but don't have high expectations at this point. It's a shame because it's an incredible variety, I agree with Franco in the grow video, it's a wild, wild sativa. It's mostly growing single lobed leaves now and I am sure they're the same variety as I've never seen anything look quite this wild and sativa. The Cambodian plant is about three months old now and over 5 feet tall, it's a great looking typical asian sativa. The branches are extremely long but have surprised me by making it through some very hard nightly rains this week. I tied the longer ones up for support today. I had forgotten about paying a small loan back this week and had to postpone ordering seeds, hopefully next week I can get it done. Anyway want to say thanks again to everyone here, it's good to be a part of the forum and larger community of people growing these special varieties.

• Like 1

We are thrilled to have you. We don´t have that many Asian growers. We would love to hear all about your grow and future grows. Climate is alot diffrent over in Asia compared to Europe, sharing is what we do in this Family. Share and learn from each other. What we do in this forum is protecting each other. Once you join you are a family member for life. Your grow is as much ours and we walk thru it together.

If you need pointers or grow help just make a thread. We have great growers that take care of you within 24 hours. And of course, give help to those that needs it. Never ending circle.

Relaxe in the common chat with a fat joint and talk it out with your fellow hunters. We always smoke together and share our day´s.

Respect will get you far in this forum and money back guarantee if you dont like us hahaha

Sometimes you will need a Moderator to explain forum function or help out with things on your mind. We have Fuzzy(our main moderator) but also many other that do there part if you just ask them. It is always a pleasure.

So why dont you move closer and share that joint. See you in chat and welcome.

Tokage

Thanks Tokage,

I live in tropical, almost rainforest Asia as well so the climate is very different indeed, with your help maybe I will finally be able to have some real success with the Thai landrace. I'll start a thread within the next week on the two plants out in the garden at the moment.

Welcome man i leaved in S.E asia and i'm sure you can grow great weed there, the weather is really amazing (maybe a bti too humid).

Welcome to the forum and be carefull with those plants ;)

Peace!

I worry about the heat to be honest, even with locally occuring genetics I feel sure now that the intense sun and great heat have caused the problems I am having this time around with the plant that was exposed to full sun. It's the hottest time of year (never drops below 20C here even dead of night on the coldest day of the year) and it's hitting 40+ everyday now. I put a plant in a shady spot and it looks amazing. That's fine, just makes the plants more difficult to see from outside right?

• Like 1

@ Azean, thanks for the warm comments. welcome to strain hunters. our mission is to make the world a better place through cannabis. (i know that sounds corny). I live in SE asia for a while, and I know there's some really good seeds to be found. bricks just dont cut it. be safe and see u around

• Like 1

@ Azean, thanks for the warm comments. welcome to strain hunters. our mission is to make the world a better place through cannabis. (i know that sounds corny). I live in SE asia for a while, and I know there's some really good seeds to be found. bricks just dont cut it. be safe and see u around

Thanks also for the great atmosphere here,

I've been here for 9 yrs, married a local and have a couple kids now. Gone back to study a second degree at uni here as well. I just took a look at my seed stash, I am extremely lucky. I have what I am sure must be the bona fide exact strain as the gh thai given to me by my wife's uncle who has been growing this variety since before I was born. A friend gave me more seeds from a trip he made to Cambodia. I must have a thousand seeds between the two, but I am determined to order some seeds for variety and just as important, because it takes so long to finish these landraces in this environment. I am growing outdoor, I can't induce them into flowering and the environment doesn't change very quickly here. I'm gonna give the Thai stuff one more good effort now that I know it was heat stress from getting too much intense tropical sun. I have been looking around the forums and used the latitude daylight app which let me know that I go from a maximum of 12.8 to a minimum of 11.2 hrs of daylight, which should give you an idea of just how close to the equator I am (quite close, but could be a bit closer.) Guess I am rambling on, as I tend to do lol.

I don't really think that sounds corny, I know that my own world is a much better place due to cannabis. Let me get a couple grows under my belt and the next time you get to SE Asia we'll have a smoke together ;)

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

So...it's been a busy couple of weeks in my life, back at uni in my middle age and got a 4.0 semester, so feeling good about that. Unfortunately my Thai landrace died again. I uprooted it after chopping down the 8 month old plant and found some very unusual and strange looking tiny snails in the soil. I do live in SE Asia so strange looking creatures is the norm for us over here. These freaks of nature live 1/2 to 1 meter deep in the soil, apparently, and feed on landrace roots. Other than that I am so far at a loss to identify them. This explains my problems I think. Other plants in the garden area show no signs of stress. Heat definitely played a role here too, probably weakening the plant to such a degree that it could not deal with the parasites. Other plants, trees that have been there for 3 yrs or more and vegetables, show no signs of harm. I am ready now to give up on the Thai landrace, it's just not practical for me due to the time needed to bring it to harvest, the difficulty of removing these strange little snails from the environment, and the incredible 4 meters of size it grows to. I am thinking of getting my hands on ghs el nino seeds and crossing those with local landraces in the future. That's the current plan, although a daily search through the ghs website usually ends with me changing my mind lol.

I'll do a real look into these snails. The facts follow. I cut the wilting plant back and made hash from the stems and leaves. The next day I uprooted the root ball and put it on top of my mulched soil. I looked closely and saw that the roots were white and healthy looking. That forced me into wondering just what the hell had happened. On closer inspection I found little 1/2 cm snail shells with green bodied snails. I assume they are the problem. Likely they're attracted to the organic material in my 50 percent mulched garden scrap soil. As stated above I am planning a serious look into identification and I know through my father in law who is a local of ways to eradicate native snail populations, and that might very well be in order. It might also mean I can solve my problem through this. So far the 1.5 meter Cambodian plant is thriving. Hopefully it's shaded area will allow it to persevere as all other non canabis plants in my garden and it will continue to show good growth (fingers crossed.) Any help would be appreciated, these are probably very rare parasites. I wouldn't be a bit surprised if they had never before been documented in a scientific manner.

sorry to hear about the thai plant, but at least if it makes you cross a landrace with a GH strain it will be all benefit for you i hope :)

Keep us updated on those snails, and have a good search