Water supply for guerilla growing

Levente

This year was very dry over here... so even with using water crystals, the crop has been suffering time to time. This made me thinking of solutions to provide water for the plants thru the whole season without any electricity available and frequent visits of the spot. I am thinking of digging a barrel earlier and using a solar panel to provide power for the pump. Any experience anyone?? These solar panels are for like 100 USD but if they can make enough in full sun to water a few m2, i think would worth the effort!

• Like 1

you can also take a 5l Bottle in supermarket, put it upside down with holes in the cap, and it will make a dripper ;)

I think it should make your girls happy until you come with the "real" watering from time to time. Tok's idea is pretty good too :D

Good luck man hope you'll find a nice way ;)

well it depends what you call control, but in contrary i think you can control very much this by testing the holes before and see how much drop per minutes fall etc, with an airstone in ti and a bigger barrel woould be nice ;)

But tok's way with the battery was cool if you want a more pro thing ^^

Little wind wheels to charge the batteries maybe? not very iscreet but if spot is safe it will charge the battery i think, but will become a pretty xpensive grow unless you make it yourself :)

Beside that and having a water source on the growsite i don't really see how you can water for weeks without going, controling weather would be a nice somution hehe :D

Sorry if i think of something suring my sleep or anything i'll tell you but right now can't see ^^

Good luck man

The only thing about a car battery is that it will loose it`s charge if sitting on the ground for too long. We have had a very dry summer too up here in the north. I`ve looked at systems like yourself. AS for solar panels I have found one that was under 100$ at princess auto , witch is a surplus place for car, farm, tools, anything really. I have yet to try my panel out since the rain has come now. ....(at the wrong time of season).

One thing that I tried out this summer was a self priming pump that attaches to a drill. So all I needed was my drill and I was good to pump water.

The one main important thing about self watering or using pumps is that you must make a floater in the water. With a filter attached to the end of hose and inserted in floater this way the pump will draw water from the top of water source. You don`t want the muck from the bottom to affect your pump. Even with a sub pump, it needs to be floating , but still able to suck water up.

Good luck and keep me posted if you discover anything new.

Good luck!

• Like 3

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

i used a 300 litre tank and a flood and drain tray to catch rain water the local garden center sells these tap timers that run on aa batteries

it is a good system and never has failed me the only maintenance is to clean the leave's out of the tray

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Sup Hunters, just been browsing around the garden section on Amazon and these gravity feeders look handy - well if the sun comes out this summer anyway !

http://www.amazon.co.uk/The-All-New-Might-Dripper/dp/B002C32G8C/ref=pd_sim_sbs_lp_3

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Garland-G77-BIG-DRIPPA-WATERING/dp/B000TAU7SQ/ref=pd_cp_lp_0

should think the resevoir can be beefed up too.

Also been trying to solve the problem of not being able to start off my plants indoors this year and have been looking at Cloche's

http://www.amazon.co.uk/GardenSkill-Pop-Up-Fruit-Veg-Cage/dp/B004QIUZ2A/ref=sr_1_10?s=outdoors&ie=UTF8&qid=1362945265&sr=1-10

Have seen some thing a little smaller made out of that green stregnthened polythene in my local garden centre, but its worth a try if you have no indoor veg room.

• 5 months later...

all you need is a tarp, a 100 litre bin and a cheap garden timer as long as there is pressure ie you have your water farm

up hill

set your tarp up to catch water and let it run into the tank for collection . I just normally chase the storms so to speak

and set up my tarp during the winter thunder storms and save my water for the summer.