How detectable would you say this grow room is?

budman1988

HELLO DEAR GREEN THUMB FRIENDS

I am new to this site and would like to get some advice,

I do currently have a grow room located under the house away from any IR camera's.

im looking on setting up a 250 watt secret jardin grow kit in my shed but as it being open to the outside im a little concerned about the flir cams being able to see me,

THE PLAN:

shed size: 11ft x 6ft

insualtion layout: i will be insulating with poly foam sheets at 2.5cm thick doing 2 seperate layers creating a thickness of 5cm, i will then be adding a further 1.25cm thickness of plasterbord, giving me a total thickness of around 7cm thickness walls if i include the thickness of the shed walls or 6.25cm without

im hoping that i can pull this off by going to these measures

WHAT DO YOU THINK?????

PLEASE ONLY SENSABLE AWNSERS AND PLEASE NO TELLING ME IN PARANOID BECAUSE NO MATTER WHAT YOU CAN NEVER BE TOO CAREFULL!!!

Hi there bud. so you are on a right track with the insulating. NOTHING is more important than where you vent your hot air. IF you can and you take the time to do so. i would personally make it so i could vent my heat into the ground.(thought that is just me) everything else should be ok. if you are looking to do this stealthy and fast. i suggest a good auto flower.

• Like 1

only way to know is to buy a flir. lol jk.

a 250 watt bulb is not that hot. with your precautions i think u will be fine.but u may need to find a way to cool your exhaust air. to stop your shed from looking like a fire breathing dragon in the flir

• Like 1

Hi there bud. so you are on a right track with the insulating. NOTHING is more important than where you vent your hot air. IF you can and you take the time to do so. i would personally make it so i could vent my heat into the ground.(thought that is just me) everything else should be ok. if you are looking to do this stealthy and fast. i suggest a good auto flower.

Hi dude thanks for the reply and the info :) yeh im definatly thinking of trying to vent the hot air into the ground, the only issue is if i go directly underground from within the shed i will hit a nice big block of concrete haha but im sure il think of some way to vent without any trace

yeh im not too much of a auto fan tbh mate, im more for doing the shed slash secret jardin dr60 grow as my scrog area

only way to know is to buy a flir. lol jk.

a 250 watt bulb is not that hot. with your precautions i think u will be fine.but u may need to find a way to cool your exhaust air. to stop your shed from looking like a fire breathing dragon in the flir

hahaha funny you should say that i have actualy been looking to rent a flir for 3 days and test every 3 hours from side and top view lol

yeh its just the fact of putting the exaust air somewhere. i have even thought of buying those plastic sheeting that are hollow to fill with water and put them on the roof of the shed to in theory have the cool air cool the water reducing the thermal signiture even more.

i run 600w in my other grow room and they get realy hot but dont have any idea how hot the 250's get

thanks for the advice pal

also do you live close to people that would say something because smell will be an issue. i suggest buying some carbon(should be cheap) you can make a homemade carbon filter. i did so with an inline fan some screen from a door.. and carbon.

hey man thanks for the reply

yeh i will have a carbon filter (the top rated ones) in the dr60 venting into the shed, where i will have eventualy have a ozone filter and some of those odor jels in also, so i should be all good for that :)

are the use of flir that often in your country? it's rare to see people worry about beeing seen by IR around here, but you're right, better be safe than caught!

They gave you all good advice and don't see what i could add, the carbon filter of course will be essential for you i think, and check on the forum about the ONA gel or any other gel to catch odors, better have 2 protection than one ;)

Good luck man and share that room with us when it will be launched ;)

are the use of flir that often in your country? it's rare to see people worry about beeing seen by IR around here, but you're right, better be safe than caught!

They gave you all good advice and don't see what i could add, the carbon filter of course will be essential for you i think, and check on the forum about the ONA gel or any other gel to catch odors, better have 2 protection than one ;)

Good luck man and share that room with us when it will be launched ;)

Well im in the england but where i am you get loads of heli's around and over here i think they have flir cams on the energy supliers helicopters searching for anything un usual, im probably just very paranoid but like we all say better safe than sorry lol.

Yes of course i will definatly be uploading all the info and photo's of this project, i will eventualy be renting a flir from a local store to see if it is good enough to call flir proof but as im only using a 250w im sure it will be.

maybe i will even use my mates 400w and 600w to see if it covers the heat signiture on those lights aswell

thanks you everyone for the replies and information, im only new to the site but i can already see you all are friendly and eager to help each other :) :) im proud to be a part of this forum

• Like 1

Due to austerity cuts the police heli numbers have approximately halved in the uk :D still not perfect but 50% is better than nothing.

standard mylar not really any use , better buying more heavy weight aluminium anti dtection foil, which should still be used with insulation for best results, probably not nescessay for you coz of you small light and ample insulation.This can be pricey £15 a meter on ebay.

A total of 5cm of insulation is good and should do the trick make sure you fill the gaps an expanding foam filler,don't want any chinks in your amour.

Hiding exhust is the most difficult part, you could use an ice box heat exchanger (needs a source of water which chills the air as it passes through a small radiator) someone has made a diy one on rollitup.

vent down into a sewer if you can this is the simplest option but not always possible.

This might sound a bit odd, but get a small chicken coop and run and buy a couple of chickens vent into the coop and this will keep them warm and there is nothing suspicious about a warm coop (this aint for everyone i know!) one plus is you get eggs too!

Vent into a near by green house , during the winter months i used a green house heater to stop the frost damaging my citrus plants. if you do this make sure you have some evergreen type plants in the green house or it will not be convincing , warm greenhouse no plants! (make sure you use insulated ducting and make sure is well hidden/diguised)

running a long length of ducting under ground which will cool the air before it emerges (obviously not to deep, your not mining for coal, make sure the ducting doesn't get crushed).

A good carbon filter is good,also as you said adding ozone is even better. Cheap ozone generators can be bought from aqarium suppliers and dont have timers which limit the time ozone can be produced (this is what you want) they have a small airpump and air line which can be inserted into the ducting post filter.

If you can afford to rent a flir camera then do so, this will show you exactly whats going on and wether you have covered all the bases and how efficient your anti flir methods are.

Small heat signatures are not normally a problem, but any heat venting directly from a lone shed in a garden and the shed shows no heat signature (due to insulation) would be of interest to the skycops.

I wish you the best and please share your results with us after you have put in place all anti flir measure and have done a flir test, the information would be helpful to others doing the same.

I wish you luck and hope you are able to resolve all these issues.

Peace

Lams

• Like 3

WOW!!! That has to be the best info i have ever had on a forum.

Big thanks buddy. I will have a good think and get testing as soon as i have built the flir room. Thats exactly what im aiming for and thats to help others have a good peace of mind when growing a small personal stash.

I hope to see all te hard work will actualy pay of and become the first (from what i know) anti flir grow base on this forum

Great help everyone.

I will post and upload as the project goes on and i hope everyone will be pleased with the outcome

Peacefull growing family

Yes lams do find interesting articles

:)

You can also find paint that protects from heat scans such as IR. It does cost much and i can´t remember the old thread we had info about it.

I did how ever find this.

http://www.anac.com/...ed_Coatings.pdf

thanks for that my friend i have browsed through it and its some very good info. much appreciated :)