Granddaddy Purple, Querkle and Blue Dream

ripsterafn

Hi all...

Just getting ready to finish up my Auto grows and then when their done, about 20 more days, I'm going to start my photo strains.

Here's a little info on my indoor soil grow setup:

5 x 5 Secret Jardin Grow tent DR150 ll (Dark Room Pro)

Galaxy 1000 watt HPS/MH 120V Multi-watt & Dimmable Ballast

Hortilux Super HPS EN Lamp - 1000 watts

Blockbuster 6'' air cooled Reflector

I'll be using the complete 2012 line of Fox Farms nutes

Soil: Fox Farms Ocean Forest and FF Light Warrior mixed 2:1 ratio

During the seedling stage, I'll be using my T5 HO 8 Bulb Sunleaves fixture with veg bulbs at 6500k. 432 watts total

Seeds to start with

2 reg. Granddaddy Purple Beans

1 fem. Blue Dream

2 reg. Querkle

My tent can handle all 5 plants, but I'm looking for a couple males in the reg. seed. So if they show up, I'll be cutting them down...

Fam. members, please be patient. This grow wont start for at least 2 more weeks...

I hope you all enjoy my journal and these strains... Any comments, advice would be more than welcome...

But just to let everybody know, since I'm new here, I have been growing successfully now for 4 years + So growing is second nature... But that being said, I'm far from a pro, so like before, comments and advice are super welcome...

Most of grows have been Auto's with the exception of about 7 photo grows...

Stay tuned for future updates... Also, check out my photo albums. I have 2 of my strains in there so far

Thanks and happy growing

Hey man sounds like a very nice setup and the pictures in the gallery look splendid! :) But here is only for the world cup journal not for the regular grow journals so i move your thread to the right section.

Thanks for making a journal i'll be following it with pleasure ;)

Have a good end and beginning of grow ;)

• Like 1

I will gladly wait until you can start your journal . That gear of yours is top notch and promise much.

Have you used that 1000w ballast with a dimmer before, and if you did. What do you think about it? When you veg what do you turn the dial to?

I hope those weeks will go by fast ;)

Thanks Tokage... I've used my equipment one other time to grow 5 photos. It all works rather well if I may so so myself...

I vegged with my T5 HO 8 bulb fixture and when I went to 12/12, I switched to the HPS/MH. I was running it at full power, 1000 watts, but noticed toward the end of the grow, that the leaves were starting to get light bleached... So I did switch it down to 600 watts and decided that was a good wattage to run in my 5 x 5 tent... Good thing I didn't try it on booster mode. Then the ballast puts out 110% light. Way too much for a 5 x 5 area....

Man, I hope your right. I want this grow going now :banghead:

And what did you think about using the T5 for vegging. Does it gives a good result for early veg?

Oh yeah, you'd love the results... I can grow full sized photo's with my fixture. They may not produce poundage, but nice solid buds.... Plants get a bit stretched, but for T5 HO, it's unbelievable...

As far as for veg, the light keeps the nodes nice and tight.... Love it... Theres no other way to vegg...lol...

• Like 1

got any links about to where u can purchase the T5?

Sure do judgefudge: http://www.greners.c...eer-t5-4ft.html

And I do recommend the "Sunleaves" brand... Done some research on the T5 VHO's and they're nice, but they put off way too much heat to keep the light nice and close... Now some of them do come with air cooled hoods. But if your going to buy all that equipment, you might as well go with HID... So the T-5 HO's in my opinion are perfect for vegging and growing auto's straight through to harvest...

One more little note, if anybody does buy one, don't bother buying the bloom bulbs... Auto don't need um and with the photo's, they just don't put off enough lumen to do the job.... :)

I been talking with a friend that uses T5 with 4 tubes. He also give them thumbs up.

Do you think the T8´s would be a better buy?

No way, putting it bluntly:) But good question... Leave those for lighting up your basement or shop.... Not even for supplemental lighting... They just don't have the wattage, lumens or color spectrum needed to grow... Even the grow ones suck...lol...

I would only recommend the T-5 HO's... I bought a TT-105 Fixture and bulbs, thinking cool supplemental lighting, wrong. It's a 4 bulb 420 watt fixture. Puts out as much heat as my 1000 watt HID with no way to cool except with fans... Strictly garbage and hype...

• 3 weeks later...

Hi all, just needed to do a small pic and informational update for anyone watching...

What I've done today is loaded up my pots with my soil and did a single pot watering with a Ph R/O test...

All the soil in the pots came from the same bag of Fox Farms Ocean Forest Mix... So after hand mixing the bag, to shuffle around the un-settled stuff , I added it to all 5 pots...

After calibrating my Ph meter

sml_gallery_17223_640_30756.jpg

and making up a batch of water and Cal/Mag, I preceded to water 1 single pot to check the Ph R/O.

sml_gallery_17223_640_312959.jpg

Now let me explain a couple a things so far...

1st : Why am I already adding CalMag to my soil/water?

Well friends, the answer is in the ladder of the two...

I'm adding it to my Reverse Osmosis water. When I use my nutes, I wont add it in.

Reason : The store bought water has been cleaned, purified and disinfected, so to speak, and there's nothing in that water at all.

So by adding the Cal/Mag, I've atleast put something back in there for the plants....

First pic shows the Cal/Mag with my water

sml_gallery_17223_640_168697.jpg

Secondly, you may be asking yourself, "Why prep the pots now?"

I have a kinda 2 part answer to that

Fist off, it's how I germ. I'll be explaining that when the time comes, in detail...

Secondly, I feel the pots soil, needs to be wet through and through. No dry spots.... So I use my spray bottle with the same amount of solution per bottle per pot, evenly and consistently in all 5 pots..

These pics show it in action. To do this to 5 pots took me 3 hours... Letting the water slowly drain through the pot...

sml_gallery_17223_640_315894.jpg

sml_gallery_17223_640_420353.jpg

Ok, since now I have water in the bottom. That's something I don't want... But this lets me know all the soil is wet, everywhere and this is very important !!

Here's how I remove the excess water from the pots... I use a simple Turkey Baster... Perfect for the season huh :)

Here's a pics of that

sml_gallery_17223_640_66262.jpg

Now, all pots are ready to dry out for 2 days and the fun begins

sml_gallery_17223_640_367070.jpg

I might have forgot to mention what my base water Ph was. It was 6.12... After I got my R/O it was 5.50

Not to bad in my opinion.. It's only going higher... Next watering, it's base is going to be 6.25

sml_gallery_17223_640_46374.jpg

• Like 2

No problem Tokage and thanks....

After rereading this post, I realized I forgot to mention that I put my beans is a cup of water for 12 to 24 hours, or until they sink....

sml_gallery_17223_640_224058.jpg

Now here's my germination update w/pics....

Now that my soil is nice and moist all over it's time to start the process...

Here we go:

First off, you'll need a few items....

1: Plastic Wrap

2 : Tooth pick

3 : Some Scotch Tape

4: (you can steal these from your wife, :)) Large hair bands

Here's a pic:

sml_gallery_17223_640_360513.jpg

Now, let me explain how this works.... I know most everybody germs with the paper towel method. Now that's just fine for everybody, but for me, I don't like the fact that the tap root is out and bare to the world...

Plus, you still have to transplant that little seedling without hurting the root...

I should add a side note here : Plant sex is NOT determined until after it sprouts....

So with that being said, lets continue...

Now I've already removed the plastic so I'll re-wet the top soil and do my planting....

sml_gallery_17223_640_250748.jpg

Now, lets make a spot for the seed. Remember to place the seed pointed side down... That's where the tap root comes out of... Less of a chance of the shell sticking to the seedling as she sprouts too...

Lets face it, a seed will sprout in any position. But since this is for indoors, I like to make my germination process as stress free to the plant as possible...

With my tooth pick, I pocked out a 1/4 inch deep hole for the bean...

sml_gallery_17223_640_204368.jpg

Here it is with seed in it:

sml_gallery_17223_640_119122.jpg

Easy stuff right, right. Pretty normal so far....

Now, lets get these pots covered so these beans can sprout in a nice healthy, wet and warm atmosphere....

Take your plastic wrap and cut a piece off big enough to cover the pot completely and secure one side with the tape and then wrap your wife's hair thingy and wrap it around the plastic wrap on the pot... Stretch the plastic to remove the wrinkles...

sml_gallery_17223_640_344282.jpg

Now what you want to do is take the tooth pick and poke many breathing holes in the plastic. Like this:

sml_gallery_17223_640_89667.jpg

sml_gallery_17223_640_307691.jpg

When you done, it should look like this: After about 5 minuets

sml_gallery_17223_640_107134.jpg

Now I repeat this to all pots:

sml_gallery_17223_640_22664.jpg

These beans should pop in 3 to 5 days. I have my hydrometer hanging above the pots to check the temps around them. What's important here, is the environment inside the pots !!! Moist, warm and already at home :)

After a few days, I do this to every pot and flick the dew off the top of the plastic.. This allows me to see if the bean has popped yet. If so, then remove the Plastic....

This part will be in my next update...

Thanks for reading and remember, the less stress you give your plants, at all stages, the better she'll do for ya....

My method involves no transplanting or re-planting a plug or anything. Just the seed and it never moves from that spot... It home already !!!!

• Like 2

Nice way of handling your beans. And you are 100% right about the less stress part!

Thanks Tokage, I'm all about less stress... Gives you more females also...

I'll hopefully be showing ya that in about 30 days or so... I'm only growing 1 fem seed from the 5 beans planted... So...

Ok, this might be getting redundant, with the updates every 4 hours, :) but a few things have been going on in the grow room and I figured I share them with you....

First off I wanted to discuss the heat that some of you may be wondering about in the pots...

So what I've done here is took out the old turkey temp. tester :) , and poked it into the pot and the soil. Inside, my super moist atmosphere has a dirt temp of 85° at 1" deep....

gallery_17223_640_378922.jpg

gallery_17223_640_139667.jpg

As you can see, it warm, not hot... Any hotter, and I could make males... But with process, I generate mostly females... But lets wait and see as the grow goes...

Since 4+ hours have passed by, the seedling has been growing nicely. I was going to wait til morning to remove the plastic, I decided to acclimate her to the room slowly....

So here, I've just cut a slit in the plastic to release the heat and give it more air...

gallery_17223_640_225427.jpg

I've placed this lighter in there to hold the spit in the plastic open so just in case it decides to " go through the roof" :)

gallery_17223_640_11023.jpg

Ok, since it's up and getting full fresh air, it's time to move it up to the T-5's and let it veg. for a while....

gallery_17223_640_175165.jpg

Ok, I'm done for the night... I will repeat this entire process with each pot....

Thanks for watching and I hope you all stick around for the rest of the journal... :)

• Like 1

Nice humid home for them. How long do you have them under the plastic before "setting them free"?

Well Tokage, actually not long at all. About 1/2 the day after I see green...

Got my Blue Dream that came up today along with a Granddaddy Purple and an extra seed I tossed in for good luck. It's one of my photo crosses I made...

Pics coming soon...

• Like 1

Hey all, time for another update :)

All plants are up, uncovered and growing nicely.... My last 2 plants came up today. One this morning and the last one this afternoon.

So, from the start of planting, 11-22-12, that's the day all beans entered the soil straight from 12 hours of soaking in water, all beans plus one :) are up...

As you all get to know me, you'll soon realize I tend to repeat myself. I've got a real bad memory... So just in case I didn't mention the extra seed, I thought I might explain what it is and why it's there with my Granddaddy Purple....

When I put my beans in there individual cups of water, one of the Granddaddy Purple's sank instantly... So, thinkin the seed had a crack in it, I put one of my own cross in water just in case the GP wasn't viable...

Well, to my surprise, it was and both popped on the same day... So more than likely, I'll be cutting the Critical Jack x APG F1. I've got, well lets just say alot, of the CJ x APG cross beans anyway...

So, on with the pics of my baby plants. 2 less than 18 hours old....

First up is my #1 & #2 Querkel's

#1 is my first plant up

gallery_17223_668_327651.jpg

#2 Was the last one to pop. As you can see, it's not been up for very long... :) Since this Afternoon

gallery_17223_668_213815.jpg

Now the Blue Dream.

gallery_17223_671_136469.jpg

And the Last 2. My Granddaddy Purple # 1. Now this is the pot with 2 plants in it. The front one is the GP and the back one is Critical Jack x APG F1...

gallery_17223_670_365113.jpg

GP #2 Next to the last one to pop. It came up this morning..

gallery_17223_670_328052.jpg

I know these plant's aren't much yet, but what I was really trying to show with this was how I germ and why... 6 beans went in water and 6 beans all up in 4 days...

I'm not bragging or anything like that. I just wanted to show everybody there are other ways to germ, other than the "Old School" way...

I will point out that I've never germed with the paper towel method. It just seemed to risky with the tap root and all. I wanted to come up with a way not to transplant and not to mess with the roots... It's worked time and time again...

Thanks for following along and I'll now update once a week with pics if I don't forget :) I wont....

Thanks Dust....

Got a part 1 update for ya all...

This is my simple pic tutorial of the LST method...

I'm going to LST the CJ x APG long enough to snag a couple clones off of... I'm LSTing it because I don't want the two plants fighting for light....

As soon as I'm able to cut the clones, I'll be cutting the CJ x APG out of the pot... Giving my Granddaddy Purple all the light it needs...

So here we go.

Pic 1 is simply how they looked before LSTing

gallery_17223_640_122612.jpg

Next pic is just the wire I'm using to do the LSTing with. Bent like a U shape, well I think you all know why...

gallery_17223_640_2284.jpg

In this pic, I'm showing you where I'm going to place the wire. It goes in at a slight angle so as not to disturb any roots near by... Make it long enough to do this... The angle also allows me room to lift up on the wire, as the plant grows, to re-position it later

gallery_17223_640_140659.jpg

The next 2 pics are of the LST method in the works... Notice how the one leaf is NOT touching the soil, but very close... She's bent to her max at this point....

gallery_17223_640_424869.jpg

Different view. But as you look, also notice the time the pics were taken... It's about to change here soon :)

gallery_17223_640_412196.jpg

This pic is 6 hours later and it's already straightening up as planned

gallery_17223_640_246060.jpg

This pic is 9 hours later and it's doing fine....

gallery_17223_640_293606.jpg

Ok, that's over for now... In this next pic, I wanted to show how when using my germination method, if the plants are taken out of the plastic to early, this will happen....

The plant will come out of it, but this is a very stressed plant at the moment... Querkle #2. My last one to pop and I got over anxious.

gallery_17223_640_365274.jpg

We all make mistakes... The thing is, do we learn from them, or are we insane?

insane defined by me and many others : When a person does the same things over and over again, but expects different results...

Thanks for hanging around and watching the progress. Later today, I'll be updating with plant pics...

Ok, this update is coming sooner than I expected... Wife has plans for me later today :)

This is my first full week pic up date...

Remember, I messed up the Querkle #2

First up Querkle #1

gallery_17223_668_215301.jpg

gallery_17223_668_300409.jpg

gallery_17223_668_315970.jpg

Querkle #2 the messed up one.. oops

gallery_17223_668_412686.jpg

gallery_17223_668_115183.jpg

gallery_17223_668_217180.jpg

Next up is my Granddaddy Purple #1 First pic it's on the left.

gallery_17223_670_279475.jpg

Now it's on the right side

gallery_17223_670_183779.jpg

Right side again. The other plant in my Critical Jack APG F1.

gallery_17223_670_289079.jpg

Now, Granddaddy #2

gallery_17223_670_375806.jpg

gallery_17223_670_400920.jpg

gallery_17223_670_421844.jpg

Last but not least, the Blue Dream...

gallery_17223_671_280836.jpg

gallery_17223_671_248411.jpg

gallery_17223_671_389743.jpg

Well, that's it for now

Any comments or suggestions are more than welcome

Thanks,

Rip :)

• Like 2

Hey there rudytrainy, glad you made it to my grow...

Now just so everybody knows, we're old buddies and go way back... He's the king of the LST method if there ever was one....

But I think it's about to be cut out of the pot... Has anybody ever tried to clone an entire plant? I'd hate to just throw it out without atleast trying :)

Weekly pic/informational update...

First off, I wanted to say that I put my deformed Querkle out of it's misery :blackeye: I really didn't feel like babysitting a sickly plant... Besides, I've got a nice and healthy one going. Had 2, down to 1 Querkle...

Here it is :) 14 days old...

gallery_17223_668_62850.jpg

gallery_17223_668_294796.jpg

gallery_17223_668_19666.jpg

Next up, my Blue Dream. 13 days old

gallery_17223_671_315969.jpg

gallery_17223_671_367671.jpg

gallery_17223_671_253646.jpg

Here's both the Granddaddy Purple and the Critical Jack x APG F1 that may be gone soon...

GD P #1 in the center of the pot, 13 days old

gallery_17223_670_139058.jpg

Same spot, center plant

gallery_17223_670_43234.jpg

Now it's on the left

gallery_17223_670_66352.jpg

Granddaddy Purple #2, 12 days old

gallery_17223_670_181792.jpg

gallery_17223_670_85118.jpg

gallery_17223_670_164179.jpg

Here's a group shot... I think I may be moving them, next week, to my HID light. We'll see how they look then....

gallery_17223_670_182741.jpg

From left to right: Blue Dream, Granddaddy Purple #1, Granddaddy Purple #2 and Querkle

Enjoy!!!!

• Like 2

beautiful man i had to check if those were the same girls cause they've grown so much :D:D

Thanks for the news man those babies are more than happy, i've heard many time that name but not seen it grow often so i'll be looking ;)

Have a good grow keep us updated! :)

• Like 1