any talented plumbers out there?!?!?!

blueskyolympia

I have built this system outa lumber screws plastic and sprinkler parts for lawn and garden type out door stuff. ie the thick hard black lawn sprinkler pipe where the pressure is supposed to build as it comes from the 1 inch pvc.... and the nozels that spray the water are just 14foot diamater regular fixed up position sprinkler heads from home depot for a lawn infront or behind a house... the problem Iam having is I figured since everything fit together so damn snugly that I would not have any leaks but as the photo shows I have small drips comming out at every connection point.... any idea's wouuld be wonderfull...

I dont have the funds to go buy vinly tubing at the moment to see if that will fix it either... there is alot of stress in the black tube and hence the tie off with hemp string to hold it in shape....

the second photo is of the shear volume differance I will have from switching from a 5x5 inch rail to 5 gallon buckets.... gonna almost b true aero... no dirt no medium what so ever just air and nute solution

post-12705-0-26830700-1352061966.jpg

post-12705-0-25414700-1352062199.jpg

working on taking this bastard apart... the joints are so damn tight that I gotta slit the funny pipe with a razor length wise till it opens and lets the nipple out... bam... gonna be a super tight fit with any thing added at all... hope I can wrestle it on... I got a feeling this tape will do the trick... there is a whole lotta flex in the pipe between pressureized and not...

post-12705-0-80604500-1352084844.jpg

I went with bozoph's idea first I dont really want any chemical sealants leaking into the water supply if I can dust.... maybe the stuff people use for aquariums if this dont work.... it has no toxins cause it would kill fish I think... I used it to grow oyster mushroom mycellium... and worked great and that stuff really has to be sterile.....

anywhats here are all the joints fixed up with teflon tape... made em shorter also gonna make it 1 supply pipe instead of 2 o hopefully increase the pressure

post-12705-0-11588500-1352095979.jpg

Telfon tape is good nice one to bozoph for his idea.

The black pipe looks the same as my irigation setup in my backyard, can be quite stiff and unforgiving when connecting it to fitting, appling a little heat (ie hot water)makes it easier to work with.

To stop pressure forcing pipes off fitting and for added watertightness use zip ties around the pipe where they connect to the fittings.

Just love this kind of DIY set up.

gonna keep following the progress , keep up the good work.

Peace

Lams

• 2 weeks later...

plumers ptf tape is the best you can use for this mate trust me that is what its for plus it will also cost you less,

its the really thin white tape,ask for it in a DIY shop,no more that 1 pound,2 dollars,ish,

i use it everyday in my job mate,so i know it works

sweet! thank you verry much for all the input. I have chosen thus far to go with the white thin gooy almost teflon plumbers tape. my thinking is that it should flex and still stay water tight with the constant on and off pressure flux of the water being controlled on and off by a cycle timer. 40 seconds on 100 off will be lots and lots of cycles every 24 hours...

• 2 weeks later...

My friend, i have some advices for plastic in generall, ive worked with it quite alot, making

handmade jacuzzi's and boat's ect..

With PVCpipes, to make a strong construction you must

use a pvc-glue, even thou it can be alittle hard to work with for start(use gloves), with the right ambission, you'll be

getting a hang of it in no time.

And the other tip is for "softer" plastic pipes, the ones you can feel got some GUM in them, often white, theese ones are a bit

more expensive but totally worth it in the end.

Theese one you use a kind of "heat-gun" (like a hot-air-fan-gun)on, no glue just alittle warmth to loose up the structure

before connecting it, this technique is by far the best imo.

Another general tip is "ruggin" up the surface wich you plan to connect, on both ends with a fine sandpaper, then

gently clean the "dust" and glue/tape whatever.

Keep the flame alive bro! GL & HappyGrowing!

• Like 1

• 2 years later...

i would use stainless steel hose clamps this way you wouldn't have to take that apart and i would use food grade silicone  on any other seals you have to make just make sure it is dry before you add the silicone  this will take care of your leaks . i have put some diy hydro ad aero set ups together and had the same problems your are having right now because of pressure build up  good luck i will be watching

Hmm, silicon should never be used as a glue mate, just as a seal in for example aquariums.

And are you sure? ive never heard about that O_o i know it poisones while you work, that's why

you must use proper gear. smile3.gif gasmask ect

just open a window and have a fan on . ( it must be food grade silicone an it should be clear in color ) IT WILL NOT HOLD PRESSURE  it is good for spray leaks

• 3 weeks later...

you cant use sealants or tape on any connections in a hydroponics system.. sure it will fix it short term, but it will leak.. eventually..

youre using the garden type of poly.. hard drawn.. this has very little flex in it.. and while its ok to use, you have to use the clamps that come with it, on any connections. You can buy the same hose which is a tripple kink flex, and with this hose you wont need any clamps at all. This is the proper hose to use for indoor gardens.

so look around in your hardware store where you bought the hose and connections from, and youll find the little clamps that go with it, they should be around 10-20cents each..

what country are you in?

• 1 year later...
  • 4 weeks later...