Greetings from and old grower

naturall_mystic

• 3 weeks later...

cool. I don't know what you think but in my eyes a lot must have changed in the growing world since you started? Give us some perspective if you can.

Todays strains versus those around when you were younger?

Equipment development, availability of seeds/strains etc?

One thing I'm curious about is the early efforts to cultivate cannabis outdoors in northern climates. Do you have any experience on this? How do you think the new wave of Autoflowering strains will change cannabis growing as a lot more people now are able to move their crop outdoors?

Anyway, welcome!

Guest superbluehaze

so you are an old bloke too, well, join the club and welcome.There are a few us here, and that includes me, so you should feel quite at home.

all the best,

and happy growing

john

One change I have seen is the availability of wonderful seed stock. As a young whipper snapper we grew what came in the bag, so to speak. Called bag seed now. Documentation on strains was non existent or just what your dealer told you, which was usually just made up or passing on of rumor.

Additionally grow documentation is everywhere now. In the olden days we grew herb like we grew everything else in our gardens.

I have no experience growing herb up north. I have only grown in the southern US and Jamaica. Who know where the autoflowering strains will take us. I haven't tried an autoflower strain yet, but I don't really get it honestly. I like the control of photoperiod strains as I can grow the vegitative stage as long as I like to have the height I need for a given strain. It may be I just don't understand the benefits of autoflowering.

Thanks for the welcome !

as long as you're growing down south you don't have to bother regular_smile.gif but for us living in sub-arctic conditions the Autoflowering strains are a blessing. Summer is at maximum 3 months up here, june-july-august. And still we can get frost during early june and late august so you really need a quick strain. Rain and cold temperatures occur frequently during those months so rough plants is a must.

Now you see the benefit. True, they don't match up to a regular strain in terms of yield but the potency of many AF's is very good.

Considering the great wilderness available in northern Europe or Canada these strains can really become a new guerilla weapon.. this is a big change in the world of pot.

Guest superbluehaze

I remember those days and i am glad they are gone.

Personally I am with you with the autos but i guess they have their place, perhaps for those that want a quick turn over or are just starting.

High Times was really about the only place where you could get decent information then;

unfortunately, although still a great mag, it is not what it used to be, in my opinion;

but now as you say, information on growing is everywhere, and seeds now too are easy to get.

welcome again, my friend; and happy growing

john

Hello Naturall_mystic!

First of all let me say welcome. I myself am a first time grower who is on my second crop. I am really happy when people with long experience will come to GHSC forum, because it helps people like me very much and I will need much help. I hope you will like it here, and that you will have a great time each time you log on. Take care of yourself.

/ / Jimmy.

even for you guys living in warmer if not tropical areas the advantage of an autoflowerer is that you'd be able to have a continous flow of fresh outdoor bud. Theoretically you would be able to harvest a crop each month starting from february as the quickest autos mature in 55-60 days. Seeds planted in january would be ready in late february, and seeds planted in february could be harvested in march/april, and so on.. Sounds like a nice addition in the world of growing.

As long as you're indoors it doesn't matters though, as you'll do much better with regular strains and clones.

How often did it happen that you found any great genetics in those bag seeds?

Although much harder work, the satisfaction of a successful crop must have been much greater back in those days. Now we take it for granted. We're happily spoiled.

Glocalgrower,

Surprisingly bagseed grows often turned out good. In those days good herb may not have been pedigreed but there was quality to be had. SO some bagseed grows were well worth the effort.

John, As a youth my only access to High Times was in headshops. I would read the issues in the store but would never buy one for fear. It seems that there is still much to fear in the US regarding cannabis use. I find when I travel that it takes a week or so to adjust to a more liberal society. Sad really. I morn for our country and how closed minded many of our fellow citizens are.

Hi Jimmy, you live in a wonderful country. You will find that growing the holy herb is very pleasurable. It won't take long to find a grow style you like (organic soil, hydro, etc.). If I could offer a suggestion. Find a strain you really like and stick with it for a few grows. That way you lower the variables and give yourself some time to really learn the process, refine your grow setup whatever it may be, and know the plant.

Thanks for the warm welcome.