Backfill vs support stakes

GElite

When I started growing many, many, moons ago there was no Internet or forums. The only thing in the world was the "Anarchist Cookbook". I've always started my ore-germinated seeds in foam cups usually. Because the seedlings couldn't support themselves I started with 2/3 inches of soil and I add soil till I can't add anymore as the seedling grows taller. This method has always worked for me but I've noticed a lot of growers use little support stakes. I feel like backfilling gives me a deeper, stronger root system but I've never done it any other way. I started some germinated seed in soil Friday around mid day and today, Sunday around mid day I filled the cups to the top as the seedling grows. Today they grew out of the cups and are uncurled

Sorry, posted by accident,,,, anyway, the seedlings, after 2 days have reached the top of the cups ant are all facing up. I'm just curious if they start faster with support stakes and how would the root systems differ, and what is the proper method for starting seedlings? Just curious what other growers do and what seed banks recommend.

hi man well i don't think the support stakes ( by the way i have an idea of what you mean and think i'm good but not 100% sure lolol )will change much in the growth, If the stem is really really stretchy and can't hold itself for real alone, then i had a little soil like you and fill it a little to make it hold, but i don't think it really improves root mass or anything you just win a few cntimeters of soil, you will for sure get some little roots going out of the stem you burried etc. but to to say that it will improve the root system, don't believe so, but could be wrong.

For your question on germination tech, you will find many threads talking about it already, but i'll say it again ^^ for myself personally iprefer, Soak the seeds for 12 to 48h (as soon as the seed is cracked i put it out of water and place it in root riot cubes) Then once they are in the cube, i place them in the soil a little deeper than the soil surface and water them once or twice a day until they pop out, then i water only once a day and wait for them to dry lightly before rewatering, not too much drying as long as they are young but a little never hurts ;)

Good luck man

I've read it's ok to bury up to the cotyledons ITG no prob, but when you bury the true nodes u rush dampening off?

If your seedling are to stretchy I think u need more light intensity! A fan in the area as soon as u can get it in there will also help strengthen the stem! And I start seeds sorta like Dust, however I mist the soil for the first week whenever it looks dry at the surface, rather than watering at all.

I just make sure the soil is most when I start the seed!

Good luck brother!

I have the same expierence in natural light as well as artificial light. I usually run 2000watts of light (1000mh/1000hps). What I always do is put a couple of inches of soil then drop the germinated seed into a small whole with the root down ANSI push the soil in around the root and leave the top of the seed above the soil. As it grows I add more soil until the cup is full. For the first 2 weeks of life I just use a spray bottle to mist the soil as opposed to pouring water in. Pouring water seems to pack the soil down. I like to keep the soil nice and fluffy so to speak. I like to give the roots plenty of space to spread out with as little use of energy as possible. That's what works for me.

• Like 1

I have the same expierence in natural light as well as artificial light. I usually run 2000watts of light (1000mh/1000hps). What I always do is put a couple of inches of soil then drop the germinated seed into a small whole with the root down ANSI push the soil in around the root and leave the top of the seed above the soil. As it grows I add more soil until the cup is full. For the first 2 weeks of life I just use a spray bottle to mist the soil as opposed to pouring water in. Pouring water seems to pack the soil down. I like to keep the soil nice and fluffy so to speak. I like to give the roots plenty of space to spread out with as little use of energy as possible. That's what works for me.

Certainly sounds like a plan! Glad you got it under control now.

Yes it does pack the soil if you don't aerate it, if forgot to mention here but i've said it a few times around the board ^^ I use to always aerate my soil at every watering, much better for better drying conditions of the soil, absorption is way more efficient too, an the girls love it ^^ I just take a wooden pike or a fork, and go through all the pot's surface with it until it's fluffy like on first day :D M plants are the only girls i like flufffy hahaha ;)

Yes it does pack the soil if you don't aerate it, if forgot to mention here but i've said it a few times around the board ^^ I use to always aerate my soil at every watering, much better for better drying conditions of the soil, absorption is way more efficient too, an the girls love it ^^ I just take a wooden pike or a fork, and go through all the pot's surface with it until it's fluffy like on first day :D M plants are the only girls i like flufffy hahaha ;)

Mmm, aerating the soil every watering?! Gotta give it a shot for sure.

I'm in fabric pots tho, so it seems that aeration, even in the middle of the rootmass probably wouldn't be an issue ..What do you think dust?

I use a mulch(lava rock & EWCs) on the top soil and I had roots growing at the very surface of the pot..Do you think tilling these is fine?

yes aerating the surface will not really change literally the aeration inside the root mass, (btw fabric pots?) But you will that by aerating the surface first you will break a lot of dry spot daily that usually would saty cmpact and drier, so it's always good for the ladies ^^ And you will see how the water penetrates once you aerated properly it's just totally diferent than when you never do it, the water just kind of stays on the top and flows to the border of the pots usually or slowly penetrates, after a god aeration you pour it it just disapear in soil lol.

anyways the spraying thing at the beginning is very nice too, even maybe better lol, just wanted to share that little tip too ;)

Annd with your roots at the top just go a little more slowly if you feel you are touching them to not damage them too much, if you break a very few it's ok usually she will not matter, just don't go like a bully in it haha ;)

Sounds good bro!

And FYI, if you use a mulch I think it serves the same purpose of breaking the surface tension so that water can pentrate, as I'm not having water sit atop the pots.

Also, when i say fabric pots I mean these: http://viagrow.biz/product/10-gallon-breathable-fabric-aeration-pot-with-handles-5-pack/

Def, gonna still try it out tho!

Thanks

Thanks for the info everybody....... I've been seeing a lot of people use the cloth pots. When I grow I usually run 6-12 plants in a hydro drop system but I will also grow some in soil as well to maximize my grow. I've always used the old nutrients when I changed my rez to water and feed the soil plants. Next time I want to run the drip system as normal but I'm thinking instead of soil I'll do a soilless hydro setup for the rest of my plants. I'm thinking that the cloth pots would be great for that. Since the roots are going to stay wetter that the cloth pots are gonna aerate and dry the spangam moss/perlite mix way faster. If I can get them for a deal I want to try them.

oooh ok fabric pots i see now haha language barrier :P And what is a mulch? haha another word i don't know ;)

Haha a mulch is a mulch is a mulch! It's a mulch! lol!

Nah but just a layer of something covering the top layer of soil, protecting it from drying out too soon!

There are a number of things you can use for a mulch tho!

Here the wiki: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mulch

If you're not mulching, and your growing in soil, your losing a little production from your rhizosphere with the extreme wet and dry cycles that it goes thru!

And some ppl call all fabric pots "smart pots" but Smat Pot is a brand rather than an acutally type of pot!

And @ GE, this is about the typic price for a good deal. I don't have the exact pots, but paid the same price for 10 of the:

http://www.amazon.co...llon fabric pot

And I don't have any experience with DWC or hydro or soiless as I'm organic soil, but I can say I like the pots! They're nice and tall for the most part, so there's lots of room for roots to go down! They also dry out pretty quick..Outsides of the pot first of course!

Cheers fellow ganja farmers