Cocco and perlite what % of which?

aussie haze luver

• 2 weeks later...

i'd say the same as bozoph :) 30% perlite is good :)

If you use some certain types of coco (bio-bizz) it can be a little to fine and in need of some aeration :) Most of the other cocos are quite coarse and hold a bit more air so perlite can be avoided :) In my personal opinion it is better with perlite :) Much more drainage and bigger buds through a larger amount of oxygen getting to the roots ;)

With more aeration you can feed the roots loads of nutrients and get them loads of air in the same watering :) Definitely use an inch or 2 of clay pebbles like Kokosnot says, I also do this. It will greatly improve drainage and you wont waterlogged areas around the bottom of your pot :)

• 2 weeks later...

i'd say like bozoph 20 30% if you really want to add perlite. but like kokosnot also said i don't think it is absolutely necessary, it will not hurt neither tho ^^

Yep, I think 20% is enough and it helps to prevent water pockets/ draingage problems in coco in larger pots.

i just go for straight perlite and not bother with the mixing crap.. but if you must .. its around 30% perlite to 70% coco...

but really.. it could be any where inbetween... and seeing as straight perlite is so much easier (still needs to be washed of all the fine dust) why not just opt for the easy option

mixing stuff.. mixing crap... mixing.. as in.. perlite/coco mix...

i just stay with the one medium, perlite and not bother trying to get the mix right...

i spose it really all depends on if youre hand watering or pump watering.. hand watering.. you dont want to be watering every 3-4 hours by hand, so mixing with coco will retain more moisture.

I use a timer with a pump, very minimal cost(50$)... i am lazy..

mixing stuff.. mixing crap... mixing.. as in.. perlite/coco mix...

I really do not know what you mean, man. You think mixing coco with perlite is crap or what?

In that case I agree that it is not necessary in small containers or our terraponic long container system with 4 plants. I large pots you def. should use perlite or clay as a botom layer or alos for mixing.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Firefighter the way John uses the coco is even closer to hydro than the way most people use it, i guess you could more compare it to full clayballs pots, except here that the coco, i guess, helps a little maintain the water a little longer.

It's rarely used like this it's true, but seeing the results i think more people should haha ;)

• Like 1

Firefighter the way John uses the coco is even closer to hydro than the way most people use it, i guess you could more compare it to full clayballs pots, except here that the coco, i guess, helps a little maintain the water a little longer.

It's rarely used like this it's true, but seeing the results i think more people should haha ;)

mhm, I will try it, sounds not bad, intresting!

• Like 1

mhm, I will try it, sounds not bad, intresting!

hi firefighter,

I have tried a number of mediums, but what I look for is a mediujm that drys out in around 2 days. I use large pots, and you would be surprised how much water they hold. I like to have my plants go through a wet and moist cycle. With large pots, the plants can go for 3 to 4 days without water using around 20%coco to 80% perlite. I water every two days, or so. My average yeild per plant is from 4 to 8 onces.

here is a post I made:

http://www.strainhun...d-green-poison/

all the best,

john

p.s. the plants are looking at lot better now, and I will post soon.

• Like 2

• 3 months later...

Yeah, the point of Flowers to the ppl, is you can add as much perlite as you want, depending on your goal. If they are in a smaller pot, or u want to water less frequently, you add more coco, if u have very big pots, and you can water them anytime, you better use more perlite.

peace

• Like 2

You always need to consider the temp, the ventillation, humidity and the size of the plants.  As i said, it should be different for every purpose, but to achive the best possible result, the wet-dry cycle should be the quickest you can get. Also airpots make difference, letting the medium dry on the sides also. I hope my tips helped!

Peace

Yeah, the point of Flowers to the ppl, is you can add as much perlite as you want, depending on your goal.

How do you manage to let the water stay for a while in that kind of medium? When our friends raise the perlite above 30 % the water is running thru......do you use special containers?

I am just returning to natural soil with 20% perlite resp. lava stones because I love the fresh and healty green it creates.

Also I feel that some strains react better to such light mixes with a lot of perlite than others. Our White Widow i.e loves natural soil and tends to turn yellow in light coco/ perlite mixes. Santa maria is doing much better though.....