Current Culture DWC, OG Kush with Powder Feeding, JUNE26th 2013 ****FINISHED****

Grizzwaldz

Alright, hopefully everyone enjoys the grow journal i'm starting that's using the Green House Seeds Powder Feeding program in my 15site Current Culture system. It's my 1st run for Flowering with the 1-part food and have previously been using Nutrilife's 3-part A/B/C Salt nutrients with good results. The reason for wanting to try the 1-part Powder Feeding for Flower was because of the success i've had with using their Mother Food.

Strain wise I'll be running OG Kush that we've had in our mother bank for 2 years now with great success.There is are (2) 1000watt HPS candles in the VEG room with a 2-ton AC as backup for the warmer summer months that we're just heading into. They'll be in the VEG room for 3.5 - 4 weeks before going into the Flower Room that has (12)400watt HPS lights on the walls with shades and (8)1000watt HPS hung vertically in between each site for 12.8KW total. There's a 5ton A/C to keep the room cool with a CO2 burner.
Each of the (15) site system have a www.robomatic.com PH and Food doser that keeps the water within' the set perimeters. I've notice since using the dosers the past 6 months that my PH UP & DOWN consumption has dramatically dropped. Also I've been running the water in my system for 3-4 weeks before draining/refilling. I know some people voice their concern on this but I have sized my chillers appropriately and my water temp stays 65-66degrees 24/7 with no hiccups. Also I run Current Culture "UC ROOTS" product which is their version of H2O2 to keep any unwanted bacteria and pathogens out that might find their way in. There's a float valve on the epicentre bucket that keeps the water level the same at all times that's supplied from the city water.
The OG clones were cut (17) days ago from our Mother. Rooted for (10) days in a 1" rockwell cube, then transplanted into a 3" cube for (7) days. Set the PH to 6.0 and the EC to 0.8 then dropped the netpots in the system. Last step was a good foliar spray to keep and pests or issues away while the start their life in water.
I've chosen the "SHORT" Flowering 1-part food for the grow. Looking forward to hearing peoples feedback on the grow smile3.gif

post-17127-0-78189200-1372380548.jpg

post-17127-0-96614000-1372380559.jpg

post-17127-0-96174300-1372380590.jpg

post-17127-0-48099600-1372380914.jpg

post-17127-0-33271000-1372380923.jpg

post-17127-0-79242500-1372380936.jpg

post-17127-0-65276000-1372380975.jpg

post-17127-0-54774700-1372380984.jpg

post-17127-0-99149100-1372380993.jpg

post-17127-0-59832000-1372381003.jpg

post-17127-0-84019300-1372381011.jpg

• Like 1

the tap water in Vancouver, BC is good. it comes out of the tap at 0.05-0.07ec or 50-75ppm. it's great for growing :) the chlorine levels are low since we're only 5-7kms from the reservoirs in the mountains, but just in case I have a carbon/charcoal filter to minimize any solids

Hey Shawn :) Your setup looks great :) Have fun with the great yields that will surely come :)

Are your OG clones from DNA, Dinafem or maybe someone else? You might not know but I only wondered because I have some OG from Dinafem running at the moment :)

Anyway, enjoy your grow man :)

Aloha shawn, The tap water in Vancouver is outstanding. It will be interesting to see how the OG does with the 31% Ammonical Nitrogen to 69% Nitrate Nitrogen ratio of the Indica Powderfeeding formula. Did you notice a big difference using the Mother Plants Powderfeeding formula (45% NH4) compared to the Nutrilife ABC nutrients? I noticed your using a little over 850 watts of light per plant making this grow a true high energy controlled environment model using the undercurrent high flow hydroponic method.

cheers gonzo :) the source of the genetics for these OG's are unknown to me at the moment. Me and a few other's keep our stock of different mother's so we can help each other out with different flavours and we've had this strain for around a year and half. I'll try my best to answer :)

oldmarine - you know your stuff :) I'll be leaning on you for any questions or issues I run into since your quite well versed on the 1-part food. honestly I bought a couple 1kg bags of both the "short" and "hybrid" and decided to go with the "short" due to this strain of OG finishing nicely at 8weeks bloom. My mother's are in 25gallon pro-mix soil containers and I wasn't using the Nutrilife salts on those. Previous to the Mother Food from Powder Feeding I was using GH Floranova "grow" 1-part liquid since it's also easy to use and quite affordable. I hated how thick it was and felt it had an expiry date before I could finish it. The (2) flower room's are averaging 1.5lbs per 1KW with 4 weeks VEG on the salts.

Aloha shawn, With the Powderfeeds the Calcium is absent because it was formulated for tap water in Europe with a considerable amount of Ca & Mg. Your water in Vancouver is similar to the Seattle tap water and is almost like RO water or the rainfall we collect off the greenhouse roof here in Hawaii. You may want to look into using a Cal Mag solution or using Chelated Calcium to add to the Ca & Mg in your nutrient solution for your undercurrent system. If we compare the labels of the Indica vs the Hybrid formula we have 2% vs 3.6% for Mg. so the Hybrid formula has Mg. levels closer to Nutrilife (B=3.5%, C=4%). Here is an example of a good Calcium Chelate. http://www.baicor.com/products/view/23

i have botanicare CAL/MAG on the shelf for reserves for stress or issues and haven't needed in a couple rounds. I appreciate the feedback on that and can add some when I'm back there on monday to compensate. i get nervous with botanicare CAL/MAG during bloom due to the level of nitrogen. thanks for the link on baicor.com looks like great products. i'm impressed and gracious for your feedback oldemarine :)

hey oldemarine, i'm in honolulu for a wedding at the end of september. you on that island by chance :) it would be great to pick your brain.... i'm back at my space tonight and will look things over and take photos for you.

appreciate the feedback and insight, cheers!

awesome settup man can't wait to see what it gives with the PF :D

Thanks for opening a journal and best of luck in your run i hope you will like the feeding ;)

have a good grow keep us updated

Aloha Dust, I am looking forward to see the results with the computer controlled pH & EC controller hooked up to a high flow Current Culture System. It will be interesting to see if the 1 gram per watt standard is reached using Powderfeeding & high quality Vancouver water.

Hey guys, appreciate the feedback from people and good vibes all around. Here's an update with photos from 2 days ago, finishing up week 2 (day11). The Powder Feeding food has been a pleasure to work with in this system. A small amount goes a lonnggggg way in here with maintaining EC levels.

New growth looks great, and the legs have dropped in nicely and are hooking in quickly. Thanks to Oldmarine for giving me the insight on the Cal/Mag levels in the 1-part food being low due to water quality having an abundance over in Europe. I've added Botincare's CALMAG to my routine to help keep things level and we're off :)

Maintaining EC@0.6 and PH@6.0 with the help of the dosing unit. Will be keeping PH@6.0 throughout the life of these OG's to see results and learn. Also I'll be peaking the EC@1.2 during weeks 5-6 to also test the longevity of these nutrients in the system, and running the water for 2 weeks maximum.

oldemarine - cheers for that link :) sent the video to my girlfriend to get her inspired for the trip. Too much to see over there! but will try our best. In reference to your comment on the dosing unit and PH stability to Dust, it's a great unit that you can run as "tight" as perimeters as you'd like. Since using the unit for the last 6 months, i've maintained my PH between at 6.1 for VEG and 5.8 for BLOOM with a "tolerance" of 0.1 before bringing it back to either setting. I'm actually testing a bit of a "swing" in another space. I set the PH@6.0 but with a tolerance of 0.2 which means it won't dose anything until it hits either 5.8 or 6.2 whichever it calls for. I definitely want to see if a "swing" in the PH allows for any benefits. So we'll see if a 0.4 PH swing does anything :)

dust - thanks for the welcome and appreciate any feedback and insight on the 1-part powder feeding in reference to re-circulating hydro. The setup was done by myself and my father, and it was his 1st setup :) he couldn't believe the thought and design you could incorporate when having the chance to build exactly what i've been dreaming about for years. Also thanks for the space to share ideas and our builds. I get inspired when I see other peoples ideas and grows.

See you guys next week :)

post-17127-0-27284100-1373414936.jpg

post-17127-0-59528000-1373414938.jpg

post-17127-0-79983600-1373414940.jpg

• Like 3

Aloha shawn, It will be a good test to see if Powderfeeding at an EC of 1.2 can obtain results like Jimmy's Waterfarm system running at an EC of 1.8. With the higher flow rate of the Current Culture System using external pumps compared to the air pump lift tube method General Hydroponics uses. I was wondering if your computer system has a data logger to record the entire grow period?

Sorry for late update everyone. Just got swamped with work, and didn't have a chance to get the photos up. Anyways the food has been working great. My only learning curve has been to replace the water every 7 days due to the plants slowing their growth and eating the elements of this food so much quicker than the other brands I've been using. Once I changed out the water every 7 days and ran the EC@0.7 things have dramatically grown. I'm a happy dude, and this food goes a long way. My whole system is the VEG room is 125gallons and all I need to do is add 90-100ml of Powder Feeding and it gets it to 0.7-0.8ec which is perfect.

Photos below are from july11th-19th, and I'll be reposting with more in a few minutes since I can only do 10 at a time.

post-17127-0-39391100-1374445888.jpg

post-17127-0-84486700-1374445890.jpg

post-17127-0-35993000-1374445893.jpg

post-17127-0-12081100-1374445896.jpg

post-17127-0-80902900-1374445898.jpg

post-17127-0-08559600-1374445901.jpg

post-17127-0-70379200-1374445903.jpg

post-17127-0-36232400-1374445906.jpg

Here are the rest of the photos from today when I went there. I cleaned out the bottom nodes and will do more gut pruning next week when I transplant them into my flower room.

Like I said, this OG strain seems to be loving the 1-part food :) Thanks guys,

post-17127-0-38486000-1374446179.jpg

post-17127-0-70171800-1374446181.jpg

post-17127-0-38280300-1374446184.jpg

post-17127-0-97697200-1374446186.jpg

post-17127-0-49423600-1374446189.jpg

post-17127-0-96987500-1374446191.jpg

• Like 2

hello! I wanted to ask if your RoboMatic the feeders I see two contain one fertilizer and other ph down, or explain to me how it works, greetings and thanks!!

really tx shawn

Each www.robomatic.com doser comes with the ability to have (2)EC probes, (2)PH probes, (6) dosing pumps. You can setup the doser in (2) separate systems, or you can have a EC/PH probe for redundancy.

Currently I'm only using the Doser for PH'ing due to an electrical interference/noise issue i'm having with running electric water chillers. It seems the EC probes and temperature readings are wayyyyyy out of wack due to my chillers and possibly the amount of KW's i'm running in the room which means my EC readings are highly innacurate. Edward @ ROBOMATIC says he's working on a patch for this, but it's been a few months.

If your looking strictly for PH dosing, then this system is highly accurate with logging, and online access. If your looking to dose food, then I'm not the right person to give this product a thumbs up, hehe. Sorry just don't trust the EC readings right now.

Aloha shawn, It will be a good test to see if Powderfeeding at an EC of 1.2 can obtain results like Jimmy's Waterfarm system running at an EC of 1.8. With the higher flow rate of the Current Culture System using external pumps compared to the air pump lift tube method General Hydroponics uses. I was wondering if your computer system has a data logger to record the entire grow period?

It does log the PH/EC after the system has stabilized, but for some reason I'm getting corrupted files and can't read my log files. This doser is awesome, but still working out the issues of it being a 1.0 version :)

How's things Oldemarine? i'm looking forward to my hawaiian journey in september. Even though Vancouver has been blasted with beautiful 25-30+degrees lately I can't stop dreaming of beaches over there. Our's are rocky and the women aren't nearly as plentiful :) hope all is well friend.

Aloha Shawn, Things are going well here in Hawaii. I was wondering how much Cal-Mag you are adding to the Powderfeeding one part formula? Your plants are looking World Class my friend.

I've been adding 1ml/gallon which is 100ml in my 15site VEG system. I top it up 30-40ml around day4-5 to refill what the plant has taken. I just received some digital "resettable" water flow meters that I'm hooking up to see how much "exactly" my plants are drinking/eating. That way I can top up any nutrients between draining/refilling the systems weekly.

Thanks you for the compliment. I appreciate your feedback :) aloha

beautiufl ladies Shawn congratulation! no worry for the late update as long as we have an update :D And for a positive feedback like his i can wait a month :P Joke apart i'm glad to read that so far the PF is doing great, not that i was doubting i knew it ould work :P But i's always good to see in almost all setups it does so well if you give care to your girls :)

Now let's hope you will like it as much during the flowering and with the 1,8EC :P

Have a good grow man