Smart Pots

Bam-Bhole

Just got my first Smart Pots. i ordered 4 2 gallon pots and was surprised how small/little this bag actually looked like untill I started to fill it up..:-)

A real surprise awaited me when I fixed the various ingredients inside. First about 2 cm Hydro Correls, a fine layer of already used soil-mix (surface material) more correls, Bio Canna TERRA PLUS, a really fine soft peat, a handful correls and then more Plagron LIGHT MIX with a bit of coco mixed under, Final layer of correls and more of that goog good Bio PLUS, a handful of correls and another two hands full of Light-Mix. A whole big bunch of soi inside. Next I mixed up water with the riht ph a bit of CannaZym and Natural Rots Explosion by Advanced Nutrents. Since none of the soil is fertilized I added a tea spoon of Powder feed and watered the Smart Pot wth around 1.5 liters of waer to drain up and mix up the ingredients. Then the 2 week old King's Kush will be transplanted into that and ready for VEG with 400 watts grow lights 18 hours for another 2 to 3 weeks. Will see if this Pot is sufficient for the flowering period, too.

What are your experiences with these Smart Pots ? 2 Gallons are large enough or 3 gallons ? Adding correls on the bottom useful or not ? Give me your tipps to gow the best ganja...

• Like 1

Whats up brother?! Nice grab on the smarties!

I'm in 3gallon smarts myself and I won't flower in anything but smart pots from now on :D

I think that 2 gallons could be a bit small to finish in to be honest, but it can be done for sure. 3-5gals would make me feel much safer :D

And when transplanting, I go from drinking cup to 1 gallon grow bag, to 3 gallon smart pot. I'm thinking about going up to 4-5 gallon smart pot to see how it compares for the next run.

We'll see tho. And I currently have lava rock on the bottom of my soil and things are going well. This is the first time I've tried it, so I won't be able to report back until I get a chance to look at the roots, but I will report for sure. Last run I did perlite on the bottom and I WILL NOT do that again! I don't think it hindering things too much, but it was VERY CAKED in the bottom of the pot, which could have been rome for the roots. I figure that larger size of the lava rock/hydro ball won't allow that to happen.

But I've read conflicting things about putting stuff on the bottom of the pot...You can find much more that says don't do it, than you can find that says do, but some advice it nonetheless...So I tried..We'll see tho..

But tips, one of them would be finish in bigger than two gallons :) I'm in 3 gallons and I should get 3-4 ounces dries per plant..

The rule of thumb I've learned is more pot for more plant.

Bless brother

Yeah, rule of thump is 1 gallon per month, so with 3 weeks in small starter cup, 2 weeks of proper VEG and then flowering can be a bit too little. I used 6.5 litre pots last and had to change the pots in late fllowering, which is not optimal - OTH i have seen so many plants that hardly filled out the soil in the pots. So I think it can be done with iNdcas and Autos - short flowering. Of course when you got 600 watt lights or more then you need bigger pots - i never had more than 2 ounces pp with my 4 plants under 1 400watt light-- 2 lighs = 8 plants a pop . that is just not possible under the conditions I grow on soil and not always optimal room hunidity

Nice.

I've never had less than 2 ounces man! Well on 1/19 plants so far, but it was a 12/12 from seed grown, also transplanted late.

And this is the first grow that I've used the 600. I used a 400 at the end of my spring run and I ran 5 plants under it.

After the late transplants, a few plants didn't totally fill out the pots, so I'm sure the roots don't grow as much in flowering.

But I finished flowering in the gallon smart pots as then as well.

This time I vegged for a solid 6 weeks, and the 3 gals have been sufficient in taking the girls to the end.

And if you having trouble with humidity, just add another fan :D Worked for me.

Good luck.

Bless.

I haven't tried those pots yet, i got a bunch of them in one of the expo but didn't have anyruns since so no chances to try them,

I hope you will have a great time with it but the people seem very staisfied about them

• 9 months later...

I too am trying them for the first time, but I'm growing outdoors so mine are 20 gallon smart pots.  They are an interesting concept and it makes sense about the roots.  I'll have to start a thread in the outdoor growing forum and post pictures.  I can take pictures tomorrow before I leave for the airport, I'm away in Europe, Asia and Africa for the next month.  My son will take care of them, but since I can't do regular updates until July, I'll start it when I return so you can all see the results.

• Like 1