Pete's Sideline Hobby

Stinky Pete

Ahoy my friends

I guess its time to introduce you to my other grow hobby. This will be my 3rd grow and I am seriously amped to get this going again.

1st Grow:    

Fanaticus PF-Tek ( 60g Dry)

2nd Grow

Ecuador - Monotub ( 150g )

My 3rd grow is gonna go a bit BIGGER. I am aiming to go for a KG of dried shrooms per strain grown. The strains will be the following:

Ecuador. I enjoyed growing this one. It was a real hassle free grow and it yielded very good. And I have to agree wih all the comments about Ecuador, it does have a beautiful Golden cap. But this year insead of hitting the monotub, I'm putting it Outdoors. Saw crazy results and now I wanna put it to the test.

Koi-Somui and Mexican will be the other strains I'm getting. I can't give any info on their growing yet cause I haven't grown them before, but the pics of it looks really good. During the grow process I might add 1 or 2 strains to the list.

Grow Medium:

Coco Coir, Vermiculite and Wild Bird Seed

My prints should be here in a week or two, but the actual grow will only start in October/November casue by the looks of extended weather forcast we will be cold for a while. I will be using 75L plastic see-through boxes for my Fruiting Chamber.

I read about Liquid Culture (but not in a study, way that will start shortly) and it does seem like the way I wanna go the time around cause they say that it cuts 2 weeks of the start up time.

I'm pretty stoned at this moment so I rambled quite a lot it seems so I'll greet for now,

Love and Light

Good News

My Spores arrived way sooner than I anticipated. So now things are gonna move along quickly.

I will start up a tutorial on how to make syringes from spore prints as I go along. Keep in mind that I NEVER made syringes, but it can't be that hard. Just have to stay clean.

Love and Light

SP

• Like 1

Making spore syringes is very easy. The key is to have as sterile environment as possible. You can also clone and breed if you are in to that.

It will not take that long of a time until you have you own unique Shroom bearing your name ;)

When i did them i had a industrial air cleaner with a EPA filter. I also washed the room i was in with bleach(floor to sealing) and dressed in a doctors white "clothing" with a plastic hairnet you will have a good chance of getting spores free of any contamination.

So far i have a 100% success rate on all my spores and they been sent to a lot of peeps world wide with a great "germ" rate.

Good luck mate and have FUN!

P.s. Do not forget to take your own prints once that time comes.

Tokage

• Like 1

<p>

Making spore syringes is very easy. The key is to have as sterile environment as podsible
Last time when I innoculated my jars I wasn't to clean and thought I would have had an contamination for sure, but it all came out tops. But with making syringes I will be more dedicated to this. I alreasy went and got the cleaning chemicals so its just a matter of time.
You can also clone and breed if you are in to that.It will not take that long of a time until you have you own unique Shroom bearing your name
I tought making a new strain was quite a difficult and troublesome process. Or am I misunderstanding it ???

Yes my friend you are miss informed. Making your own unique shroom is very easy.

The hard part is to get something that is better and different from the original shroom. It´s almost like with Cannabis breeding. We can breed Cannabis but it is not often we get something that was better than the starter plant. Fungi is about same but even harder to get something that is different enough to call new.

I would start with cloning those that look the best, but here we face a new problem. We do not know if the shroom we clone will be the stronger one.

But for an example. All Cubensis is about the same when it comes to strength but they differ in size/shape and of course final yield.

Btw, if you are using the BRF cake method look in IKEA for those big plastic containers they have for storing(they also have one 150l that is great as a water rez for hydro growing)

Best method for getting the most out from a shroom grow should be the "pressure cooker" and the "straw bed" method.

For the best help and vids download "Let´s Grow Mushrooms". It´s a very easy and handy video serie made by http://mycology.wikia.com/wiki/Marc_R_Keith

• Like 1

Thanks for that link Tokage, much appreciated. Will download it asap and get studying hard. I've browsed through Shroomery.org and found it really interesting and amazed at what they do. My 1st grow were BRF cakes and I really enjoyed it. I only did 4 cakes for a newb frow to see whether or not I can pull it off. The monotub was by far my favorite mainly due to yield.

I've quickly read through articles where they talked about using straw and I was quite impressed to see that something as simple as straw can grow shrooms like that. The last article I read on straw was when a dude made a double container grow and the mushrooms were huge. It was at that point that I decided that for this grow I wanna do straw, but as with all things new I am nervous. But hopefully all goes down well.

I am only doing 3 strains to start with and they are the; Ecuador, Mexican and Twisted Coast. I didn't get much info on the Twisted Coast and the web isn't off much help. But the info I got is ok.

Love and Light

SP

To bad i have erased 99.9% of all the contend i had written and uploaded to this site or i could have shown you a shroom grow.

One cheap and great way to grow mushrooms is to collect horse manure and dry it until next year or so.

I did the Ecuador and many kinds of Mexican but the Twisted Coast i have never heard about.

Be a darling and get me a photo or 5 when you are up and running.

You know those pizza plastic thingi that come in a pizza box to prevent the cheese to touch the paper of the pizza box?

Well those was kind of great to have the rice cakes on to prevent them from mold if the humid rise to high inside your shroom box,

Usually a good way and recommended way is to have them on a tinfoil square. But i saw that they can mold easier if the tin foil was to wet and directly against the cake.

With that pizza thingi you will get them off ground and not in direct contact with the wet bottom.

But perhaps it is best to do a text book grow and follow "how to grow mushrooms" video to the letter.

If you see those movies and do a couple of grows you are as good as me and i will prob ask you for help ;)

P.s. Make sure to fan out the old air a lot. I did a test. One grow i vented the air every 4 hour or so for a total of 5-6 every 24 hour compared to one when i did not vent that much at all.

The shroom box that got more fresh air had the biggest and better mushrooms while the less fanned box had the smaller and weaker shrooms.

But as with all things growing it is a fine art and balance between what is right and what works. To much air is not good and will dry out the box. To little air and it will be too moist or to little air to make them grow.

With a bit of handy skills you can get a almost automatic mushrooms box(and money), meaning you would not have to do a shit once the cakes have been mixed and ready for the box.

Just going to end with...

The best way to consume shrooms according to me is with the use of a Capsule Machine 00 size (http://www.capsuleconnection.com/)

The advantages are many such as...

1: No need to feel the awful taste that comes with a few mushrooms.

2: Easier to eat

3: The effect will be more evenly and not with those up and down trips that comes when the stomach digest the shroom.

4: Trip works faster and to me a bit stronger when the body can digest it all so much faster

5: Looks damn cool if you sell them, people get easily impressed when something is new hahaha :P

That´s all for me, i will shut up and let you go to work. The Capsule Machine can be fund at Ebay.

cheers

• Like 1

Wow. Thanx for all that info man. Really appreciate it.

I agree totally on venting out the old air. Saw big differance between the 1st and 2nd flush after applying more fanning.

I have also never heard of the Twisted Coast, but I will deffinately post pics for you and the other to see.

Funny that you mention the pill form. I have always wondered what would happen if the shroom was dried to a point where I can put them into pills and then pop them. Thank you for helping my mind start up that idea again. I will look into that capsule machine. And fuck yeah brother, that taste of the shrooms is not an appitising taste. LoL.

• 4 weeks later...

Ahoya

So its October and weather has been getting better and better everyday. So this means only 1 thing to me.

Before I start. I have thrown out my old WBS substrate to see if any mushrooms will come up. Both my friends has done this and some shrooms did start growing. The reason I did it, is because I want to attempt an outdoor shroom grow. But that's another days thread.

I got some Canary seed today. I am soaking the seed for 24 hours to get it full of water. After that I will pressure cook the jar and then I will innoculate it.

That's the short of it, now for the more in depth discussion on what the plan is.

Innitially I was gonna make 4-6 jars for my monotub, but then I came across a documentarty on Psycadellic Mushrooms and that's when I was intoduced to the "Mother Jar" method. Its nothing short of having a Monther Plant in our cabs for cuttings purpose. Basically, you innoculate 1 jar as you would normally. But when the jar starts colonizing really well and there is lots of mycillium, you open the jar and sxoop/pour a small amount into your other prepped jars. From there on the jars will colonize and so on.

To me this is a really cool idea and also a blessing. I have only 1 Ecuador syringe left. I wanted to make more syringes from that 1 syringe but thought otherwise, casue I didn't want to contaminate it or at least chance it.

I am gonna make 2 jars. 1 is for me and the other for a buddy that also started enjoying growing them.

I'll post every step I take in this process for incase some of you wanna attempt growing your own. I'm also doing a step-by-step tutorial on how to make syringes from spores as soon as my syringes arrived that I ordered. Spores are here like I said and I am super excited.

I am by no means an expert on either of the 2 above mentioned teqniques, only a guy that's trying out new things and ways.

post-22592-0-14347900-1381227954.jpg

Step 1:

Measure out the amount of seed you are gonna use. Last time I used enough seed to fill 35 jars. LoL.

So this around I am using only 2 jars. When you fill your jars after the soaking you are gonna fill it 3/4 of the way. I measured my jars to the brim. The seed I don't use will end up in my compost heap.

Leave the seeds to soak for 24 hours.

To Be Continued ...

post-22592-0-94423600-1381245987.jpg

Step 2 :

I placed the WBS into a medium sized pot and started to simmer it. At one point my water became to hot and as you can notice ( all the white) quite a few seeds exploded. I simmer my seeds between 20 and 30 minutes. They must look swollen , then you know they are ready.

Step 3:

After you finished simmering your seeds proceed towards the sink where your strainer is already waiting for you. Chuck the lot in the strainer and rinse with cold water until the run off water is clear.

Throw your seeds out on a open space. I used the kitchen table. LoL. Let them dry out a bit. A good way to judge when the seeds is good, is to place your hand on top of it. If only a few seeds stick to you hand then your good to go.

post-22592-0-70432100-1381341240.jpg

post-22592-0-55584600-1381341494.jpg

• Like 1

Hey Guys.

By now I prob wouldve inoculated but after a PC disaster, I had to wait a few days in order to get hold of a new PC. Needless to say I chucked all the seeds that was in the jars and started from the beginning again. The seeds is still in water and will still be in there for a few hours and then its simmer time. Maybe its bettet this way because I didn't like the seeds that burst. I tried getting them all out but A LOT was still present.

As soon as I start step 3, then I'll start posting again

Step 4:

So after your seeds has gotten to that certain moisture level, its time to fill your jars. Fill it to about 4cm from the top. I used "tinfoil lids" for my jars. If you are also going that route then remember that you have to have 2 x "tinfoil lids". The 1st one will remain on the jar and the second will be the lid to keep it all closed up.

If you wanna use the lids as well, the make 4 small holes in the lid and cover with micropore take. The only reason I used tinfoil is because I didn't have tape with me.

Step 5:

Place you jars in the PC but don't let the jars sit in water. Some people let a cm of water up along the sides but I sont like it. I placed my jars sideways because my PC is a bit small and they don't fit if they stand up.

I made a little contrapcion to keep my jars out of the water.

After the jars were PC'd let the PC stand to cool off. Preferably overnight. You don't wanna risk the chance of opening to soon and cracking a jar. Also, you don't wanna inject your spores into a warm substrate. You'll just kill them

The time for PC of jars is 2 hours. Some say more. I don't know. I have been doing it this way since day 1 and it all good.

post-22592-0-01590300-1381666085.jpg

post-22592-0-68857800-1381666291.jpg

post-22592-0-82832500-1381666541.jpg

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Ahoya Brothers

I appologize for not continuing the thread further. I had a sneeky suspicion that the jars weren't gonna work, cause the PC didn't Pressure Cook. It only steamed the jars basically. And after talking to a friend that also grew shrooms, I decided to wait a bit. Reason is because he said a certain bacteria or fungi won't die if the jars aint PC'd.

But I still went on and used the jars. 1 jar got inoculated with Ecuador via a sysringe and the 2nd jar I just scraped some spores into the jar from the foil, covered the jar up again and shook it to "spread" the spores.

And after more than 2 weeks of waiting I can reply to the thread with a nice grin on my face and say that the 1 jar has taken. This is the Mexican Strain. The Ecuador is still nothing going on, except for 3 white blobs forming on the bottom. I'm really not sure and it doesn't look the previous grows. I will report on that as soon as something develops

Love and Light

SP

post-22592-0-47604900-1383066624.jpg

post-22592-0-21449600-1383066813.jpg

• Like 3