Highdeas

Stinky Pete

Hey, you !!!

Do you sometimes get home from work, chill the day, wake-and-bake or just light up whenever and suddenly find your way to imagination land where your head goes into overdrive with ideas ??? Come now, be honest.

Do you share your ideas with friends and family, only to get that " what the fuck are you talking about " look ???

Wanna share your ideas with someone, but the only thing that someone shares with you is the time frame you are in !!!

WELCOME TO HIGHDEAS !!!

We are hear to listen to your ideas.

We are interested

We will reply to your question or debate

We share your passion

We are willing to guide you through your journey if you need help.

Some of us may not be DIY pro's but we sure want to help and learn along the way. So come on brothers, share your ideas.

• Like 1

Yesss!!!!

I will get to posting here as soon as I have a minute to chill rather than just popping in and out :D

But damn nice! My head is full of these my brother :D

From DIY Reflectors, to DIY Air pots to DIY whatever elsee haha!

Bless

• Like 1

Ok, so highdea #1 I can share:

The DIY Air-Pruning Seedling Starter Pot

Items needed

-20oz styrofoam cup

-Any utensil to poke holes all over the cup, prefereably a kabob skewer or ink pen.

-Some good soil

So since seedlings need no nutrition whatsoever the first few weeks(or can get what they need from the soil and water), you can get away with simply potting them up in some good soil.

In my limited experience so far I've managed to kill no seedlings of about 37. I've had a couple(2) fail as seeds tho.

But in trying to get everything out to a the best start and doing so in a cost effective manner, I've come to using the styrofoam cups with lots of holes poked in them.

I was twice as satisfied with the progress of the then slightly neglected seedlings as I had been with any of my previous seedlings. And I mean slightly neglected in terms of amount of light recieved.

But I noticed that with the plastic solo cups the seedlings need to be tranplanted between 14-20 days on average, ortherwise you might start to see signs of a rootbound plant and mistake that for hunger.

Vs.

With the styrofoam cups and lots of holes, the roots are air-pruned so you end up with a tighter rootmass which will explode in growth upon transplant, and doesn't need to be transplant until around day 28, still growing vigourously.

I also use mycorrhizae fungi around the rootball at EVERY transplant :) These fungi germinate when in contact with the roots and the help to make nutrients available to the plants! Great for P in the soil ecosystem! Ive yet to come across a slack rootball using this stuff!

And I can say at this point that I will ONLY use this method of potiing seedlings going forward...So bye-bye party cups! Hello hole-y styrofoam :D

That is until I find the next best thing :)

This is the best pic I could find of them as they're history, but you can see what I mean here!

Bless

post-26357-0-87778700-1376880394.jpg

• Like 3

Many thanx for that post EG.

I never thought about doing it that way. Rootboundness has always been a hasle for me. This way will sort that out. Its also a neat way of recycling.

What type of soil/soilless mix do they start out with???

I also used mycorrhizae fungi last year during a grow and the plants loved it

• Like 2

Nice brother! And def. a neat way of recycling :) You know I recycle my soil too right?!

And I mix my own soil at least a month or so before I grow.

Mainly compost based medium tho :) All organic, no chemicals, you know my style :D

But basically any organic bagged soil will work :) I like Fox Farm Ocean Forest becuase I know it works well from experience!

Bless

• Like 1

Green, I don't know fox farm personally. I've read the name a lot on somw forums. We have a compost by the name Double Grow. Plants love it.

The only hassle with compost and soil is the weight. I recently went over to soilles mixes but also come across more deficiancies.

I think you mentioned somewhere that you recycle your soil. I'll have to look into doing that too. It just makes sense.

Dust, it happens to me as well LoL. I get really good ideas at times but fail to remember.

• Like 2

Green, I don't know fox farm personally. I've read the name a lot on somw forums. We have a compost by the name Double Grow. Plants love it.

The only hassle with compost and soil is the weight. I recently went over to soilles mixes but also come across more deficiancies.

I think you mentioned somewhere that you recycle your soil. I'll have to look into doing that too. It just makes sense.

Dust, it happens to me as well LoL. I get really good ideas at times but fail to remember.

Nice! And yep I work with a compost based medium that I recycle :) Soil gets better with time when you take care of it by not overwatering or adding chemicals.

If you have to use chemicals tho, it's better to go soiless so that you can flush them. A good organic soil is designed to retain nutrients so you literally can't flush it unless you kill it.

And compost based soils are heavy, but the added benefit is that they hold water better so you can water less frequently :D OG lazy gardening lol.

Fox Farm Ocean Forest is just a brand tho. Im sure you can source something locally of similar or equal quality :D

But compost and worm castings are the best things you can have in terms or organics :) followed by kelp meal and rock dust!

• Like 1

Does anyone know any DIY methods to make hash ??? Saw the prices of some hash bags and thought "no fucking way am I paying that".

It must be cheaper to make. I already got my differant micron sheets.

Amazon or eBay you can find a 5 set of bags for $40 or less! I bought my 5 set from Amazon.com for $32 w/ free shipping!

• Like 1

Green, I remember you mentioning something about air pots. It sounds really interesting and I was wondering if this can be used outdoor as well. And what type of medium can 1 use ???

And yes sir! I was talking about farbic pots or smart pots which are a little bit different then air pots.

Both are great for use outdoor tho! Farbic pots might be a TAD cheaper than the air pots tho :)

Air pots are the plastic pots with physical holes in them, while smart pots or fabric pots are fabric!

And for outdoor, I'd go with a compost based medium bcuz it will go the distance for sure :)

But on this forum, I'm about the only one that grows the way that I do lol, so I'm sure you'll get some different opinions about that if you ask around lol.

If you have to feed tho, maybe you should go soiless? Mostly perlite and coir?

Hi man, for the DIY hash you could try the gumby method for your hash, works pretty well once you master the technique and find good drying time etc..

Have a look on this thread made sometimes ago it might give you a good preview of what it is :)

Green, I'm very excited about that mix of yours. Gonna source all the ingredients and build it up. I'll probably get all the stuff together through the year and get it ready for the next season.

Is there a time frame on how long the mix should rest ???

Dust , thanx for that link. Will check it out tonight. I've never made hash in my life and looking forward to trying it out.

Hey brother, after you mix it up, you water it down with plain water(or pref. an ACT) then let it sit for a month :) 30 days and you'll be good!

At first the soil will smell like a little bit of everything that you mixed into it, rather than smelling like truely earthy thriving soil, but after about 30 days, you soil will start to smell like fresh soil from deep out in the woods :D That's when you know it's ready!

Bless

Ps, there are so many different organic amendments you can use to get the same result!

The problem is just making sure you don't add to much to your soil mix, bcuz you will toxify it.

Generally, 3-5 cups of nutritonal amendments per cu ft of soil is what you want!

• 2 weeks later...

Homemade Fish Fertilizer

Fish fertilizer is an awesome product for promoting plant growth. It’s high in Nitrogen for growing plants, can be naturally produced, and is an awesome food for microbes! Fungi love this stuff. Fish fertilizer can be expensive in the store, but it is easily produced at home. This is a great recipe for making your own fish hydrolysate fertilizer. First lets look at the two main types of fish fertilizer:

Fish Emulsion

Fish emulsion fertilizer is made several different ways depending on who is making it. The important thing to know is that fish emulsion goes through two stages of processing. The first stage breaks down the fish parts using enzymes, proteases, or chemicals. Then, and this is the important part, heat is used to break it down further and allow oils and other things like amino acids to be more easily removed. It’s this second stage of processing that makes fish emulsion less advantageous than fish hydrolysate. Fish emulsion fertilizer lacks many oils and proteins that fish hydrolysate fertilizer has in abundance. So let’s look at that!

Fish Hydrolysate

Fish hydrolysate fertilizer generally starts out the same way as fish emulsion. It gets broken down using enzymes, proteases, or chemicals. However, fish hydryolysate doesn’t undergo the heating and skimming process that you get with the fish emulsion. The higher quality fish hydrolysates only undergo “cold-processing” which just means they are never heated enough to break down significant amino acid chains. Good fish hydrolysate also retains the fats and oils that microbes love!

Fertilizer Recipe

This method of making fish fertilizer is awesome because it is a cold process, chemical-free, completely organic way to make fish fertilizer right at home. While fish emulsion lacks beneficial ingredients vital to the final product, this fish hydrolysate recipe preserves all those active ingredients. You don’t want to miss out on those oils that microbes love. Try this recipe.

How to make your own fish fertilizer:

Buy a Fish

Now, ideally you would throw the fish into a blender to mash it up into little pieces.  I cut my fish into 8ths or so and then chuck it into my kitchen blender but I’m a bit of a caveman.  If you’re squeamish, buy a separate blender for this, just make sure it is powerful enough, mine is 500W and works fine for small-medium size fishes.  Remember, the finer the fish bits, the more effective the fermentation.

Add water.  You can use a simple guide of 3:1 – 3 parts water to 1 part ferment material.  1 roughly 8in tilapia comes to about 500mL when ground up, so I add about 1500mL water.

If you are using a blender, blend up the mixture.  The water helps keep it loose so it blends much better after you add the water.

Add lacto bacilli to blended fish mixture.  I use 2tbsp per L.  You can use more or less if you want.  2tbsp/L is plenty though.

Add 1/3 parts sugar.  This should be 1/3 the amount of fish you’ve added.  Sugar will be either molasses or normal cane sugar.

If using sugar, the equivalency is about 1KG sugar = 1L solution.  So if you have 500mL like my tilapia, you want 1/3 of that in sugar.  You’d use about 167g sugar, or roughly ¾ cup.

I blend the whole mixture up a bit.  It’s good to have it as fine as possible.

Up to you how much you blend it, I blend until I don’t hear so many bones crunching in the blades of the blender.

Now you have liquefied fish, sugar, and lacto.  Pour this mixture into a container.  Loosely cover the container.  No need to seal, because the container will explode as CO2 is released by fermentation.  You just want to make sure other things don’t get into it.  I use a container with a lid and loosely screw the cap on top (just make sure you don’t seal it because it WILL explode).

The process takes anywhere from 3 weeks to over a month.  How do you know its finished?  By the smell.

You know when it’s done when there is no smell anymore.  During fermentation there is a nasty smell, but once completed, there will be almost no odor.  You can open it, and put your nose right up to it.  Take a whiff.  Nothing but a faint vinegar smell.  Now you know its done.  Congratulations!  You’ve made your own Fish Hydrolysate!

Now, usually I transfer it to a smaller container, usually just a smaller water bottle, just for convenience.  At this time, I use a strainer and a funnel to strain the bones and scales out of the hydrolysate.  But don’t expect a lot.  From a whole 8-10in tilapia, you will only get a little tiny pile of bones/scales.  They will feel kind of rubbery, not brittle.  Throw these in the compost pile or garden, they are excellent fertilizer and microbe food, already inoculated with microbes!

Leave the cap on the strained concoction loose until you see no more little bubbles forming.  Then cap it and store it for use as your own natural fertilizer.

How to use this fish fertilizer:

Mix 1tbsp/2L for applications.

Plants

Use as a soil drench as opposed to foliar spray.

Inoculate compost to boost fungal population.  This is huge – major growth booster of fungus.

Use in compost teas to boost fungal growth, add Nitrogen.  Use at ¼ strength for this application(1/2 tbsp per 4L).

Mix in water when watering plants, as a natural fish fertilizer and to enhance populations of micro-organisms in the soil

TIP: ALWAYS USE NON-CHLORINATED WATER.  Chlorine kills microbes.  Simply let your chlorinated tap water sit for several hours, allowing the chlorine to dissipate.  I let it sit overnight generally.

TIP:  Try not to use cane sugar since it is chemically bleached.  Raw(unrefined) sugar like muscovado is best.  In the Philippines we use molasses because it is cheap, but any glucose source works – syrup, honey, etc.  Just use whatever is cheap.  Glucose gives microbes energy.  Whatever you have access to cheaply, go for it.

• Like 2

Hey Guys

I had to cop my White Rhino today due to the fact that Spidermite was getting out of control. They are everywhere and it was a real problem.

After I chopped I thought to hang it up again as usual and air dry them. But then I thought, what if the mites continue their destructive path. So I did the next best thing.

I whipped out the plunger and started with it. For you who don't know wtaer curing, its a quick way of getting bud ready faster and also a way to make the bud stronger. The Trichs stay on the plant but the flavour seems to be on the lighter side.

The buds should be submerged in water for 7 days. But each day the water must be replaced. But be careful when doing this cause you don't wanna break of unnesisary trichs. After the 7th day you take the buds out and hang them to dry. 1 - 1 1/2 later you can puff away.

Pic 1: The buds submerged by using a plunger. Works great

Pic 2: you can see all the shit that came out of the plant.

I will update as this go on.

post-22592-0-99514200-1381609898.jpg

post-22592-0-24431900-1381610293.jpg

• Like 2

Sorry to hear that brother. I really dislike pests but luckily they can be kept under control. My biggest problem is spidermite and whitefly. Both are mother fuckers to get rid of. LoL

With this small grow I did not pay attention to her and that's what happens. Got myself a LOOOONG list of organic homemade pesticides that I'm gonna try this season.

Back to the topic at hand. Today is the 3rd day of water curing and the water has taken on a greenish murky color. This is normal and don't worry. Just remember to change the water everyday and DON'T close the top of whatever jug you are using. The gasses need to escape.

Sorry for the poor quality pic but camera is far and I'm stoned

post-22592-0-55442000-1381857432.jpg

• Like 1