Potting clones, start in cups or st8 to 5gal pot?

Newfriend

Hi fellow growers

I have been planting my well rooted clones (cloned in 1.5" rockwool) directly into 5gal pots and veging.

I was informed by an experienced grower, that i should start in small cups then to 1 gal then t 3gal then 5gal pots.

I can understand how benificial this would be if you have seperate grow area and have plants in bloom.

Will the clones do just as good or as fast if i start them in 5 gal pots?

Thanks

I wouldn't repot my plants 3 or 4 times...just my 2 cents. Small cups/pots==>nice root ==>final pot . Repot plants 3 or 4 times stress them and you have more chance to damage the roots. The clones after rooting+ 2 weeks veg in small pot then 5 gal pot so it's just ONE Repoting. -I grow in soil..may some help with hydro...the bast way is try : two clones and repot : "Alfa" 4 times and "beta" 1 time.

Let us know how it goes...

Keep Growing!

I agree with the 2 aboves for me if the clones was rooted perfectly and previous container full of roots, then i would transplant directly in final pots too :) but both techniques are right it's just personal choices for the rest :)

I clone in small rock wool Cubes then I put them into a 1L then a 5L then a 20L pot and if I want a massive plant I then repot into a 60l pot when the light goes to 12/12. This incurages the plant to stretch a bit, but it must be done with extreme care not to damage the roots or it will work against you. The reason for repotting 3-5 times is you want to have an even root system. If you go from clone to a big pot the root system will go outwards until it hits the sides of the pot then down , and you will have a void in the center of the pot and your medium will not dry out evenly, and this causes problems with watering and nut build up.(IMO)

Flowering

The plant on the left has been reported into a 60L and has stretched out nicely and the others have been restricted in there 20L pots. So it all depends on the space you have and what you want at the end. (short stocky plants or mass production)

• Like 1

Dang !!! Just when I get things figured out, along comes experience and knowlege.

I have noticed my roots were heavier on the outside against the pot.

I use rockwool 1.5 inch, cups 16oz then to the 5 gal (19ltr).

I might try a 1gal pot.

I don't have space for a seperate veg room, must be done in the one room.

I will do a test next time (well into veg now).

Test: 3 plants "clone to 5gal", then 3 plants " to cups, 1 gal then to 5gal.

Will try to update the test results in 7 month or so.

At 73yrs thats a gamble :read: I read the obituaries every day, lol

Thanks Herb

I clone in small rock wool Cubes then I put them into a 1L then a 5L then a 20L pot and if I want a massive plant I then repot into a 60l pot when the light goes to 12/12. This incurages the plant to stretch a bit, but it must be done with extreme care not to damage the roots or it will work against you. The reason for repotting 3-5 times is you want to have an even root system. If you go from clone to a big pot the root system will go outwards until it hits the sides of the pot then down , and you will have a void in the center of the pot and your medium will not dry out evenly, and this causes problems with watering and nut build up.(IMO)

The plant on the left has been reported into a 60L and has stretched out nicely and the others have been restricted in there 20L pots. So it all depends on the space you have and what you want at the end. (short stocky plants or mass production)

i agree, this has been my experience also when potting straight to big container vs gradually transplanting to bigger pots. i would also add that the water/dry cycle can get too long if you plant straight to large pot making it waterlogged with stagnant water that can be a major trouble.

also the mediums water holding capacity and pot type has big impact on how large jumps you should make with small plant, airpot vs regular