Which is true pH ? Help me plz !

matiamo

Hi everybody, 

I'm newbie and i've a problem about soil pH, pls help me.

I'm using this pH meter: Takemura DM-13

0005900_my_o_ph_t_takemura_dm_13_500.jpe

When i put this machine into under the ground, the pH is 6.2

But after i watering (pH of water is 8.0), i put the pH meter into under the ground again, the pH of soil is 5.0

So, i want to know which is the true pH of soil ?

Pls help me. Thank you for reading.

measuring soil PH can be misleading because the plant uses fertilizer and excretes waste in salts causing changes in PH level in the soil. As long as you are watering with RO water [Reverse Osmosis] you will be fine. we use RO water because it is PH neutral and a natural PH buffer. RO water is cheap and usually around an even 7.0. We want this cause our plants take up nutrients better at 6.5-7.0 PH level. :]

RO water comes in cheap plastic bottles and you can get them at most stores. We want the purified water that was purified by Reverse Osmosis. Make sure it states this on the label. U can get huge packs of bottles for like 5 bucks. Its all i use . Alot of different ground water has bad stuff in it like chemicals like chlorine which is bad for living things. Use RO water and your soil PH will sty neutral with little PH Fluctuations.

Hope this helps good luck

• Like 1

I would just say this Ph meter is not really accurate and not calibrated at all.

At best u would buy a real ph meter from a trusty Brand like Greisinger or maybe Bluelab. (

If this is not in ur Budget u could try to calibrate urs if this is even Possibe otherwise ur best Option with small Budget would be like the Ph mesurement Kit from GHE. (http://gb.eurohydro.com/ph_test_kit.html''>http://gb.eurohydro.com/ph_test_kit.html'>http://gb.eurohydro.com/ph_test_kit.html)

And my Take on ur Question is : Neither of them is True ;)

Cheers

yeah it's the best way to test the PH directly in soil, with this meter you can measure in the water also? But anyway you should not give your plant the PH at 8 it will not help your plant to grow, the soil will eventually adjust the PH and counteract this, but it will take time and enrgy to the plant and she won't focus on growing so you should give at least PH 7, for soil personally 6,5 is the range i liked to keep.

good luck man

• 1 month later...
  • 7 months later...

the PH of your water needs to be at a 7.0 use RO water {Reverse Osmosis Purifies Water} this will solve your ph fluctuation problem man

yeah it's the best way to test the PH directly in soil, with this meter you can measure in the water also? But anyway you should not give your plant the PH at 8 it will not help your plant to grow, the soil will eventually adjust the PH and counteract this, but it will take time and enrgy to the plant and she won't focus on growing so you should give at least PH 7, for soil personally 6,5 is the range i liked to keep.

good luck man

Raight @  Dust , 6.0-6.5 PH is correct on Soil.

Hey guys, now i've changed to soil with pH at 7, so how pH in water is perfect for soil down to 6,5 like Dust said ?

@Dust: i've pH tester for water, not this meter bro. please help me to fix this, thank you

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

another hint is to add the juice of 1/2 lemon to 1 gal water which will lower the pH 1 full degree (that is from 7 to 6)

in practice take 1 gal water from a normal source add the juice of 1/2 lemon to it. read the pH.

adjust as necessary

PS it is best not to measure the PH of or rinse or soak in RO distilled or De ionized water with a high quality pH meter.

this is because the reference solution in the probe can leach out which will effect the chemestry of the unit and as a result it will reduce its accuracy to the ultimate point of rendering it ineffective.

• Like 1