Hermaphrodites and breeding

Bushy

Hi guys im looking for some help or some info on plants being hermaphrodites, what has happened is one of my peyote purples has shown balls this morning the seeds was bought as REG seeds and is in the 3 week of 12/12.

my question is what type of seeds would come out if i was let it pollinate it self will all future seeds would be hermi?

also if i was to just use the pollen on say another reg plant would that then be a fem?

any advice would be awsome as im not sure if i should just remove the plant,  is there any use for the above for future breeding or should i just pull it out..

Thanks guys peace Bushy

• Like 1

I have read about that in the past. And i thought it was like this:

If the herma is genetical so she grew into a herm without stress the offspring will be herm aswell when it pollinates itself. When the herm pollinates a female plant the offspring will be around 50% herm. Also said that when a fully female plant (xx-chromosome) goes into herm so not genetical but due stress the offspring will be female. So i would pull the herm when genetical.

Hope it was helpfull.

Peace! :victory:

• Like 3

yeah what bam said..

it will still produce females and males, but i would say most would be hermie..

if youre stressing about losing the strain, then you can let a hermie self seed, but you would then need to cast out the seeds to hunt for a male and female to make proper staminate seeds

self seeding a hermie isnt recommended but as a last resort to keep the strain i think its acceptable..

also like bam said, the male will always mature first so that its ready to drop pollen as the female is ready to accept it, usually around the 2-3 week mark..

begs the question why you didnt sex them before flowering...

plants will show sex as they leave their seedling stage and enter the growth stage.. around 6-8weeks.. give or take..

• Like 1

Pull out ! This is what happens with regular seeds, the male start sexing earlier to be ready when the females start budding. This is NOT a hermie or are there female pre-flowers visible too ?

Hi Bam. yes mate i pulled it, for the most i was always thinking this plant was a male until she showed female pre-flowers so the male part didnt show until 2 weeks later, what i was hoping for out of this string was info everyone can share and me not wanting to remove a plant of 6/7 weeks old and seeing if it can be saved it did really bug me at the time really really did lol thanks mate..

• Like 1

yeah what bam said..

it will still produce females and males, but i would say most would be hermie..

if youre stressing about losing the strain, then you can let a hermie self seed, but you would then need to cast out the seeds to hunt for a male and female to make proper staminate seeds

self seeding a hermie isnt recommended but as a last resort to keep the strain i think its acceptable..

also like bam said, the male will always mature first so that its ready to drop pollen as the female is ready to accept it, usually around the 2-3 week mark..

begs the question why you didnt sex them before flowering...

plants will show sex as they leave their seedling stage and enter the growth stage.. around 6-8weeks.. give or take..

G'day Skunk, i was stressing about losing the strain and we both know how tuff our laws are here in OZ Hence my buying REG seeds, CLONING BUSHY? why not clone well im still trying to find a strain i like! breed it mix it and work with it, for me this is a hobby i grow to keep my self focused .

what i have read and herd is REG seeds are the closest to the orginal you can get of that strain and " alway's " yeild better smoke than the same FEM seed, then i read you shouldnt pollanate a FEM plant with a REG male as  the strain will produce a very high number of Hermi's? , i do agree with you Skunk, (why didnt i sex the whole batch first up) not sure why i did it that way  and it is the right way to do things as a breeding perspective knowing where you stand at the start but im not sure if it would of helped at this stage as the above plant would have shown balls two weeks after pre-flower ...

• Like 1

Thank you guys for replying,  and if anyone else has any other info on the above is always helpful to others, i never stop learning and if i learn one new thing a day... ITS A DAMN GOOD DAY..

Peace Bushy

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
Now you have good information, no doubt;) 

My advice, if you are part of regular, well wait and see if Hermis, or are male. 

If you are Hermis, I would take away (throw), sure. The Hermis are not good for anything, I assure you. No pollinate plants with pollen from hermi not have Hermis with females, etc ... 

To feminized, you should only reverse a female with STS, it is simple, believe me. 

Greetings!

• Like 1

Now you have good information, no doubt;) 

My advice, if you are part of regular, well wait and see if Hermis, or are male. 

If you are Hermis, I would take away (throw), sure. The Hermis are not good for anything, I assure you. No pollinate plants with pollen from hermi not have Hermis with females, etc ... 

To feminized, you should only reverse a female with STS, it is simple, believe me. 

Greetings!

Thank's Jose, i have had heap's of good info and been doing alot of reading aswell, so what i have read STS is using a product to stimulate the plant into changing or adding both sex's to the plant, do you use that pollen on the same strain?  or let the pollen pollinate the same plant to get fem seed's?..

Peace Bushy

feminized seeds and reg seeds are the same.. as for breeding any way...

the only difference between the 2 is.. fem seeds.. youll get more females...

now when you delve into areas of F1.. F2.. F3.. seeds.. thats where the difference in stability comes in.. youll see many phenotypes as these seeds arent stable.. or true breeding..

theres absolutely no issue with crossing a fem seed plant with a reg seed male plant... the results will be the same as if youve crossed a female clone with a male of another strain. a batch of F1 seeds, youll see 3-5 phenotypes.. one of the mother.. one of the father.. and a few variations in between

all youre doing by making female seeds, really.. is making sure the genetics are stable.. theres a few ways to make female seeds.. gibrellic acid.. light stress(messing with light times) but the most common is the silver triphosphate (STS). all these ways will produce female seeds.. or whats commonly called.. self seeding.

by doing this the seeds will be exactly the same as the parent clone or plant, no other genes are entered into the mix, this is a sure fire way to stabilize a strain aswel

just because a strain has feminized seeds doesnt mean you wont find hermies or males.. just means most seeds will be female and just because theyre fem seeds doesnt mean you cant use those plants for breeding

• Like 1

feminized seeds and reg seeds are the same.. as for breeding any way...

the only difference between the 2 is.. fem seeds.. youll get more females...

now when you delve into areas of F1.. F2.. F3.. seeds.. thats where the difference in stability comes in.. youll see many phenotypes as these seeds arent stable.. or true breeding..

theres absolutely no issue with crossing a fem seed plant with a reg seed male plant... the results will be the same as if youve crossed a female clone with a male of another strain. a batch of F1 seeds, youll see 3-5 phenotypes.. one of the mother.. one of the father.. and a few variations in between

all youre doing by making female seeds, really.. is making sure the genetics are stable.. theres a few ways to make female seeds.. gibrellic acid.. light stress(messing with light times) but the most common is the silver triphosphate (STS). all these ways will produce female seeds.. or whats commonly called.. self seeding.

by doing this the seeds will be exactly the same as the parent clone or plant, no other genes are entered into the mix, this is a sure fire way to stabilize a strain aswel

just because a strain has feminized seeds doesnt mean you wont find hermies or males.. just means most seeds will be female and just because theyre fem seeds doesnt mean you cant use those plants for breeding

Thank you for taking the time out to carefully explain the above, so as a breeding point of view is to find what you like in a plant you have grown then 4 or 5 weeks from harvest do the STS on the plant and you will have not only FEM seeds but a direct copy of whats just been pollenated ,  i guess then them seeds will show whats in that strain and showing all its traits as well good and bad..

many thanks peace Bushy

A female seed is a seed with only xx chromosomes. So these are seeds with only XX chromosomes,this way you can make sure that it is genetically a female. How do you get those "female seeds"? As follows: a female (XX) is going to be forced to produce male flowers with hormones gibberellic acid. Gibberellic acid is a hormone which naturally occurs in the plant and is involved mainly in the growth and flowering. When a plant then produces pollen, that pollen contains only X chromosomes (no Y has entered the equation). Offer this pollen to another female once (also XX) so you actually know 100% sure that you get seed with 100% XX!!

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Imo, there are 'good' hermies and 'bad' hermies. ANY PLANT COVERED IN HERMIES IS BAD! Chop, shred, dispose of and never grow again. That said, other bad hermies are ones that show early with no stressors; those that seem minimal, but are really just 'hidden' by calyxs are also bad.

Hermies that show at the end of long flowering periods, in limited numbers, may be 'good' hermies. This is especially true with Sativas. Many pure or mostly Sat varieties can take 12-20 weeks to flower and often hermie at the end of flower. If they a few and late in flower, pollinating with them will produce mostly fem seeds with a few hermie-prone ones, as well. If you stress a plant and it hermies, it's 50/50. Maybe you get fems, maybe you get hermies. JMO

• 4 weeks later...