Strange new Medicial Marijuana laws in Canada

laserx

As a new growing season approaches here in Canada, we are left in a bit of a mess.  Our government for some reason decided to change the medical marijuana laws here in Canada.  In the past everything started with Health Canada, to get the forms, the medical marijuana license was issued by them once your doctor completed and signed the forms and you sent them to Health Canada.  You could also at the same time apply to Health Canada for a Cultivation License, you got 2 out door plants for each gram per day you were prescribed or 6 indoor plants/gram.  Last year my prescription was for 3 grams per day, so I had a 6 plant cultivation license to grow outdoors.  To buy Medical Marijuana you could buy from Health Canada's preferred supplier  for $5.00/gram and buds only or go to a compassion club and buy everything from buds, hash, oils, tinctures, eatables etc.

Well as of tomorrow, April 1st all this changes.  Health Canada has decided to get out of the Medical Marijuana business.  They have been taking applications from people who will set up new very large grow ops(the largest indoor operation so far is 450,000 sq. feet) and they will now be the ONLY place to get Medical Marijuana as of tomorrow.  These new places will handle everything from issuing the forms and confirming your prescription with your doctor and also issuing you their card to show the police if needed.  All Compassion Clubs must stop providing Medical Marijuana, all Medical Marijuana License holders who also had cultivation licenses were to stop growing and are to destroy all Medical Marijuana in their possession by April 1 and fill in a form stating you did so or face the problem of Health Canada giving your name and address to the police to pay you a visit.  There will be no more Cultivation Licenses given out and all growers of their own medicine will be illegal as of April 1st. (I destroyed all of my outdoor grow(2389 grams of bud) on Saturday, I mixed it with dry ice and put it through a screen, to separate the resin from the buds.  So I've complied with the new rules all my buds are destroyed, just have to figure out what to do with the 387 grams of kief :-)

But the story does not end on a sad note as of yet.  We took the government to court last week to challenge the new laws.  Our argument was we have been growing our own medicine since 2001 and we have developed strains that meet our individual medical needs, these new legal growers will not be able to supply all the patients with the strains they use to treat their individual  needs.  We also challenged them on costs, to the patients.  These new medical marijuana suppliers will be from what I've seen so far, be charging anywhere from $4.50-$9.50/gram.  People with, say like me with a 5 gram per day(my doctor increased my dosage) prescription will cost up to $45.00 per day to buy, where as when I grow my own medicine in my back yard the cost last year was $0.12/gram and an indoor grower would spend no more than $1.00/gram.  Many people will not be able to afford their medicine or will have to go back on pharmaceuticals including opiates as these drugs are free in Canada, Marijuana has yet to be given a "DIN" Drug Identification Number by the government so it can not be paid for by our drug plans.

The judge saw things our way and has stopped the new laws on cultivation from being unforced until the case goes to court sometime in the next 9-12 months and then there will be appeals all the way to the Supreme Court of Canada if needed.  This case will be tied up in the courts for the foreseeable future.  So anyone who had a Cultivation License as of September of 2013 can legally continue to grow. 

I'm sure I'm not much different from many others, I was not going to let the governments  stupidity stop me from gowning as I've done for decades, but now it would have been illegal.  I need the strains that work in treating side effects of cancer and the treatments, I would have welcomed my day in court.  But now I'll be able to legally continue to grow my medicine until the case gets resolved in the courts of Canada. 

Now I need the boys of the Strain Hunters to come back to the show here in Toronto again this year in May and to bring more Powder Feeding with them to sell.  I can't get it here in Canada.  A person I know had signed up to be a distributor, the Powder Feeding was shipped but got turned back as it had only English and no French, we are a bi lingual country and all all labels must be in both languages.  My friend was told they would add French and return the shipment, but it just didn't happen, so I need Powder Feeding really badly for this summers grow as it worked to perfection last summer, use it you will not be disappointed.

• Like 2

Bad news for everyone. Governments always want to exploit the resources themselves, to rob the citizens with abusive fees. 

It's the same with alcohol and snuff. You can not add a distillery at home is illegal. But they do and can also sell ..... 

Sorry friend, is certainly very bad news.

• 4 months later...

We have launched a lawsuit and. a judge granted medical growers to continue growing under the injunction . we expect to beat this unjust law that will force patients who already grow there own to pay high prices for a medicine they need daily .and really don't be able to afford period. So ya they have tried but looks like it will be a fail. Plus with Marc Emory out of jail and justin trudea running with a complete legalization agenda I believe we may see full legal by next year. Godspeed all!?!

• Like 1

• 2 months later...