New LED Project

turksteelman

Current setup is 400MH for veg then 1000HPS with raptor hood. upright filter which then goes thru my light and then thru the fan and out. I am also using a standalone 14,000cuft A/c to help regulate. it pulls and exhausts through seperate air system. If I were to do  the lighting in LED, what would the recommended setup be? Do I need to vent the LED lights as outside ambient air will usually be around 110-115. I am not dead set on 1000hps equivalent if lesser LEDS can cover a 4x4ft area. Of big concern is the heat which in most cases prohibits me from doing anything from May thru Sept.

Thanks,

• Like 1

I would go for at least 750 or a 1000 watt leds, California lightworks has some nice panels, I think with led direct lighting stands out from this footprint stuff you read and hear about. In that case you need to devide the 1000 over 3 or 4 panels. In a tent when running at night (depending on the season and ambient temperature outside) you might want to blow some fresh air over your panels to cool the panels with. If temperatures outside are low enough and hm levels not to low your good to go with only one exhaust running continuesly, drawing fresh air from outside. When the air drawn in is hot your still stuck in may till december without an airco.

I would keep the 400 HPS and add 600 of LED around ;) or maybe 2 250hps if the space to cover is big to make a more uniform lighting. Unless you reaaaally wanna go Full led i will be pleased to look at it, but i dont have the knowledge in LED to tell you This is better then this blablabla, i know we have a lot of threads talking about itand a lot of membvers using them so i hope you will find what you need ;)

Have a good day

Thanks Dust,

It is a learning curve. I'd imagine in a few years they should be nailing the technology. Just trying to work around heat issues and looking to see if it buys me anything in that realm.

heat is only an issue if the air you pull in is hot air, above 25C otherwise it is no issue but you need to use it right. Led-light could be your solution! But from what i understand itś pretty hot air you pull in! If there is a room with airco pull the air from that room and your good to go!

Woulld be pulling in 80 degree air. Have a standup module 14000 BTU AC unit to compensate for the summer heat out here as it gets between 110-115 most days. I was basically wondering if there was a substantial heat reduction  using LED's when at that same time keeping the same yields as HPS.

Woulld be pulling in 80 degree air. Have a standup module 14000 BTU AC unit to compensate for the summer heat out here as it gets between 110-115 most days. I was basically wondering if there was a substantial heat reduction  using LED's when at that same time keeping the same yields as HPS.

It can be done for sure, with 3rd or 4th generation led lighting. And there will be a substantial heat reduction compared to HPS. But you can t extract all the heat cause the plant needs that heat to sweat moist and grow.

• 3 weeks later...

If you are handy with electricity, I would definitely recommend making your own homemade lamp leds. You can find lots of info on the internet, you need to read a lot and ask a lot, but believe me it will get a high quality LED lamp at a reasonable price. I use a 90w LED Golden Dragon (Osram), no not even need a fan, heat is dissipated by the structure, it's really incredible.

• Like 1