PH up with baking soda

chronixx

Hello my friends, i have a question about using baking soda as a PH up.

i know its better to use the regular ph up and down liquid that most of you guys can buy in the shop or order from the internet but the place where i come from you can totally not get this.... i also have no credit card so ordering it is also impossible for me... :(

my soil is mixt with some coco and hydroballs for the information. the sink water that i give has a PH level of 8.3
the ph level of my soil is between the 5.5 and 6....

when i try too raise my water ph level with the baking soda i can not get it higher then 8.9... no matter how much soda i put in it. believe me... i try alot ;)
so maybe i use the wrong baking soda or maybe there is a maximum high level that you can reach with the baking soda???
i really dont know what to do right now... this is really making me crazy and some of my ladies totally dont grow like they should be...

also when i let the bottle of water with the soda standing open overnight the next morning the PH is abit lower again... i leave it open so the chlorine gets outs abit more. we got alot in it...

i really hope someone can give me some advice on this...

jah bless!!!

• Like 1

raising the ph of the water isnt the solution..

if your water is at 8.0ish.. and the soil is at 5.0.. ish.. then watering with 8.0ph should raise the ph of the soil to around6.5.. ish any way.. so it should be fine to just use the water...to me you need to lower the water ph.. not raise it more..

when you water, do you measure the run off?

if not do so.. if you do then what is that reading?

also a pic might help diagnose the issue..

• Like 1

Do not use such a high pH, it is very bad for plants. You must use a pH of 6 or 6.5 in the water to water, if you use tierracomo substrate. 

IF your substrate has a very low pH, is perhaps better to change the substrate. You should measure the pH of the water, which give below the pot, after watering. 

That town, will give you a clue. 

Greetings! :)

• Like 1

Yes i ask you because i dont see why you would want to go higher, raise the ph of the soil is one thing, but i doubt that the plant will absorb much of the nutrients with  a PH 9 in the water ;)

Water at PH 7 it should be enough to raise a little bit your PH, your plants will not have big big problem with a soil PH at 6 ;) less than with water at 9 hihi ;)

• Like 1

lie everyone stated such high PH is nonsense and harms ur Plants.

As it goes for bakingsoda its deffo not a real solution as it is organic and dissapates pretty quik wich will equal in absolute nonsense..

Where ever u live if u can get Internet u can get PH down

Dont think Ph down is a Growerthing only ;) every pharmacy has alkaline liquids or can order them.

Cheers

• Like 1

damn guys, thank you so much!! i fully mistaken on how to work with the ph of water and soil. i feel stupid now.... but yeah im still a beginners and learn day by day.

i have some that look really good with the 8.0 ph water that i give. liket his one.

image.jpg

these ones has a very low ph but now i will give him a ph of around 7 see how she likes it. im gonna focus on the weak plants with a lower ph in water. i think now that that is the problem...

image.jpg

image.jpg

here another nice pic for the fun .

i think they do pretty good with this 8 ph water. but maybe i should try a lower water ph and they will do even better.

image.jpg

thanks again guys, i will let you know how they will react. i wil start with a water ph of 7.0 for the resally yellow ones.

• Like 1

hey guys, after a nice rain session my plants are starting to look better. last days im looking for some ph down put i really cant find anything... i ask everywhere for some alkaline liquites for they all looking at my like they see water burn.... its a super small world out here. we only have like 3 pharmasys...
we do hqve internet :) but i have no credit card so order something is not gonna work. 
i read some about using lemon juice, but one says its good and the other not... i test it and it dos bring my ph down so i think i will work like this. what do you guys think about this?

i only notice that after a night the water will raise its ph again. so i will bring it abit lower then 7.0 so the next day its more around that.
i will give it a try 2morrow.

thanks for the responds guys!! you saved me and my babies.

bless

Thanks for the news shakur good to see the are still going ;)

For the PH yes they will grow at ph 8 like you can see :) Because you are growing in soil mainly i think, if you had done this in coco or hydro you wouldn't have had plant anymore ;)  This is why it is often recommanded to start growing with soil, it is a very good ph buffer itself, it depends a lot on what you will feed it, and how it is made, but in general soils are made in a way that there microorganism regulate the PH as much as it can. It is of course not 100% error proof, sometimes you fail, but the soil gives you  a nice time of reaction to fix things :)  And for next time with a lower PH they should as well, but with even better bud development ;)

Have a good grow man!

• Like 1

Hey guys i did a few tests and i fully dont understand it anymore...

When i gave my ladies a ph 7 water this happend:

20140803_101331.jpg

So it was to low...

But like you told me to mesure the ph of the run of is the right way to check it.

20140805_092828.jpg

20140805_094225.jpg

So as you can see the water i give is around the 8.5. Would say its really high but the runn off come at 6.2 ish...

Like you told me dust that it would benot right to higher my ph of water but the run off is to low for the flowering stage right?they also dont grow that fast anymore.. im really dont know what to do with this

Am i doing it right or wrong? Should i raise my water? 

• 2 weeks later...

well technically the PH of your runoff is the good one, the problem is just the diference between the income and the outcome, a healthy pot should have a near zero diference.. so what it tells us is there is in your pots something putting the ph down a LOT, did you give them a big flush when you changed the ph? And also you need to change it gradually to not shock the plant, dont go from 8,5 to 6,5 in one time. And if she really dont like it well just keep doing like you were doing she got used to it xD  And for next time we will try to go on good PH from the start ;)

But i prefer the green i see on the leaves now than the ones i had seen before it looked more pale. when did the spot start?

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

Allright thank you dust. So if i unserstand it right if i start a new grow i should start giving them water from around 6.3 ish? That soil bag says the soil is between the 5.5 and 6.5.?? The soil wont bring it more down then the 5.5 tjen right? Im comming up this week wirh some nice endresult pics.

yes in the beginning of the grow if you can in this area, and later in flowering if you are at 6,5 it should be good. The soil always have a PH in these areas, so you will not have problems, after sometimes and especially in outdoor with all the elements, the PH adjust by itself to what you are giving to your plant, if you always give a mix at 6,5 to your plant, theorically the ph of your soil with time will tend to go more on the 6,5 side, but then again with the rain, leaves dieing, sand, everything in the nature the PH of the soil is always changing, like in a forest i believe :)

But in outdoor the ph dont have to be as precise as indoor in the end, if you manage to keep in the range of mini 6 and maxi 7 your plants will be good :)

Good end of grow man ;)

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

After a nice vacation in marocco im back for a new grow and have a small question/problem with the ph water and soil.

You guys teach me alot and im very thabkfull for that. I really start too understand how it all works and now i just need a little more help.

So i planted 3 more babys like a month ago and the plan was too give her from the start 6.2 water(i have ph up and down now).

But sinds i planted them till a week ago it raint alot so couldnt give them the 6.2 water because the rain gave more then enough water.... the PH from the rain water is 6.0 or less. Stupid from me that i didnt messure it myself.... i got this from the internet.

Now that i need to water them bymyself i try one with watr of 7.0 and mesure the runoff wich was 5.8... too low right? Could this be because of the low ph rain water?

Also the plant shows me she didnt like it here a pic. I think this is because the level jump was too high....

Today i gave the other one a ph level of 6.2 and i get the same runoff ph 5.8.

So i hope this is the right PH too give them. I will see how she reacts tomorrow.

And now im wondering because the run off is too low if the higher ph then the rain that im giving now will slowly work my soil PH up too abit above the 6.0 or should i do something else??

I know that dolomite lime would raise my soil ph but i can not find this on my island... is there something else i coild do maybe?

• Like 1

Hmmm... she didnt really like the 6.2ph... i see the one i gave 7.1 is doing the best so now i will do one more test with the 7.0 on a other plant and if she allright tomorrow i think i will stay with the ph7.0 water.

I also have some new seeds comming out and those i will start watering from the beginning with ph 6.5.

I must say its not easy too find the right ph and all....

Yes especially in outdoor, like you said it rained a lot during the first days of life of yoru plant, and they probably grew up adapting to the ph the rain had given to your soil, you oculd try to slowly increase it, like you have seen make a jump of 1,00 in PH in one watering is a big gap, and the plant will not be able to eat correctly most of the time, when you want to modify the PH of your medium, you have to go gradually so that the it doesnt create a big stress for the plant.

I am not a big outdoor grower, i have done a few but not in big scale and not acuratly, it was more like lets put few seeds there and we'll see what hapens. but most of the time people growing outdoor say they dont focus too much on the PH, especially if you grow in the ground directly, in pots it is a little more easier to control but to get it perfect, i dont know if it is that easy. Like i told you before if your tap water stays in the areas of 6-7 try to give it withtou modifying it too much and your plants will probably like it, and if you really want to know more about it, make 1 plant at 7 one plant at 6,5 one plant at 6, and see how they perform compared to each others. It is more acurate to do it from clones, but a little test from seeds never hurts ;)

Have a good grow

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Chronixx!

If you are already growing plants with new soil with a ph around 5.5 to 6.5, this means you don't have to correct it, it's ready to use just like that! If the soil is proper for growing plants you realy don't have to worry about correcting it!  :cool:

The only thing you need to correct is the ph of the water for the feeding solution: Check the actual ph level of the water before start using it (normaly the ph value of the water have a higher value than the plants will need), so, usualy you should put some drops of ph down before mixing the nutrients (around 1 or 2 drops per 1.5L/2L of water), give it a good stir after adding the ph down drops to the water so the ph down acts nicely! Then start adding the nutrients, and after all the nutrients use your ph tester to check what is the ph level of the feeding solution and correct it again to the desired ph level! 5.7 - 6 in Veg , 6 - 6.4 in Bloom (in soil)

It's as simple as this!
Have a good grow!

Take care. :bye:

Ait thanks. Yeah i know about the ph levels but my plants dont react so good around the ph 6. Ph 7 they are doing very good i i think there ia something in the soil that brings the water ph to much down if i feed them the correct water ph.