Need opinions on best strains for high altitude mountain outdoor growing

Turtlespeed99

So after watching the Strain Hunters expeditions (especially the Jamaican adventure) it go some ideas going off in my head. I have a friend with 4,000 acres that his family has been on since the early 1900's. He has given me the green light to do some growing, but obviously can't use a tiny portion of that and must be gorilla style sites.

So next summer I want to do some more outdoor plants/ sites, but fully outdoor and not just in a greenhouse. I want males and females, and want to start breeding, hybridizing, acclimating, landraceing, etc, a couple strains for myself and local farmers to start growing every year, season after season. Maybe become a seed bank for local farmers? Maybe start breeding a wild strain? Not sure how it will evolve. I just want to get away from grow JUST growing for fine cannabis and start doing something to for the better of the plant and my fellow neighbor.

Since most our "WILD" cannabis was heavily eradicated in the 1930's, we don't have anything to work with as a base. Plus here the in my country our "WILD" cannabis was mostly just hemp. There is still some of this that is know as ditch weed, but is not of the rudrail type. Plus this stuff does not grow in my state.

Here are so specs on my climate/ area/ location to help with opinions:

Elevation: 6,000-7,000 ft

39-40 degrees north longitude 

Last snow fall/ frost till mid- end May. First snow/ frost mid-end of October so 3.5 maybe 4 months of growing time.

Low humidity, but starting to hit a wet period for 2 summers now. Probably 5-7 more to come before drought period kicks in.

Average of day temp 75-85 degrees F and 45-60 at night. Both in summer.

So now this where you come in! I need opinions on strains good for high altitude, rocky mountains, cold nights, and mostly short growing season. READY, SET, GO. What you think I should GRO?! Even if you just got ideas, I'm all ears!

Thanks in advance

Sounds like the perfect example for 2-3month auto flower plants. I've seen these plants go thru hell and make it. And this is the best site to find the best auto flower plants. I myself am putting in a order for some auto skunk seeds. I have to try it I hear so many amazing things about them!

Well that's interesting you bring this up because, both my greenhouse have 6 auto's in them. I herd great things too so I decided to try them out. I'm doing Dutch Passion's 3 Think different, 3 Mazar, 3  Snow storm #2, and 3 CBD CREW's MED GOM 1.0. What really has my eye is the Snowstorm #2 as it is specific for High Altitude. It's a Orange bud x skunk hybrid. I have 2 other growers trying these outside as well.

So this will probably be my base strain, but this strain and most autos are female only. There are some regular auto seeds out there, but who knows how well the genetics are. Plus I want to start breeding my own strains off of the SS#2 and grow for seeds. So I need good suggestions for photo strains that are good for high altitude as well. Father plants.

I was thinking a Hindu kush, bubba kush, or OG kush maybe. Something in the kush lineage is where I'm leaning towards.

I swear I was half way through your post and was going to suggest a heavy Indica strain. I grow bubba kush all the time, you could puss in that pot and crop amazing weed (over exaggerating lol) but you get my point? Low yeilder tho, OG Kush is another amazing indica hybrid, just cropped some and yielded me 1 1/2 pound in 4x4 area great yield and smoke. Good luck with the breeding, maybe you can send a few seeds to your boy here in California when you get it down :) lol

O for sure I will. That is actually all part of the mission I have in mind. We need wild cannabis( not just hemp/ ditch weed) growing all over north america. And I highly recommend the DP SS#2. Dutch passion is top notch genetics right up there with GHS I'm sure. I haven't grown any GHS strains so I can't speak on there quality, but I don't doubt there quality either. And I know this is a GHS forum so I don't wanna step on toes, but Dutch Passion also has 2 other  high altitude outdoor PHOTO strains called Parimar Gold form the Himalayas, and Snow bud, witch is very close to the SS#2. But once again, Female only :-( but a good base start to my mission.

Also, besides a kush linage, witch other linage would do good in the rocky mountains? What do you think of blueberry???.... I could go double dutch's and maybe cross again with a skunk.. Maybe even with a GHS skunk?... Hmmmmm  Sorry this Bruce banner got me thinkin right now! lol 

Hahaha I love Bruce banner, Amazing high! Seems like you want to star breeding, honestly I would love for GHS would take a strong girl scout cookie male and cross it with all there strains they find on their missions. Get some girl scout cookie seeds and cross breed. The best indica strain in the United states where we love our indicator!

Sorry I had to read your post again. I thought you were telling me to crossbred GSC will the of the GHS seeds from their expeditions... But on of my TOP favorite strains is Lambsbread or as we call it, Lambsbreath. I'm growing this strain as I type this, but clone only and only female. I need male!!! Plus I can't find this strain on any seed websites.