Lighting Question.. Please help

shn3ak

Hi Guys,

I am trying to work out the best size for each of my flowering rooms. Just for some background I plan on using DWC buckets in a scrog setup and a 600w HPS light in each room. At the moment Ive worked out each flowering room to be 2m x 1,3m (6,5 x 3 Feet). In the room I will also keep the reservoir that feeds the dwc buckets. Im hoping to keep at least 5x 5 gallon grow buckets in each room. I need to know approximately what coverage will i get using a 600w hps with butterfly reflector. 

Am I on the right track? will i fit 5 plants comfortably in this space under this light?

All help is much appreciated.

well to be honnest, and without any scientific arguments lol, i think the space is too big for 1 600. i would put more 2x400 or even 2x600 if you feel like it, then it would be perfect. A 2m room with only 1 600 in the middle will work for sure, but it wont give you the best yeild you could get i think, especially on the edges. Maybe a Lightrail would help a little eventually, if no i would add a little something :)

For my personal test the 600w bulbs are perfect for 1 square meter, above i suggest to add a little wattage  :) but its all personal opinions ;)

• Like 1

BIRDWING

HI guys, Here is the picture of the reflector I want to use. 

Hey dust thanks for that, I think then my room is too big, I am trying to set up a sort of perpetual grow, So ive actually got 4 flowering rooms. The only problem with additional lights is the additional power suck. So for now I think I will reduce my room size or grow area in each room to one square meter as you mentioned. Thanks for that explanation, exactly what I wanted to know. Might look into light rails at a later stage.

for that room size...even 3 600w wouldn't do the magic...

just some oldshool knowledge: optimum coverage for 600w hps is 70x90cm (60cm from the bulb) for achieving the ideal lumen. nothing will help that fact, not even 500€ aircooled reflector. so, good, stick to those cheap mofos :) it's all you need. 

now to the room(s). if I were you I would go with 3 or 4 600w per room. depends on your wishes and skills. if you have the height, go with 4 and grow sativas. if height is the problem, go with 3 and indica/hybrid. veg for 3(-4)weeks and use 3gal coco from start(clone). you can fit 25-30 in there.  just ONE SMALL reminder... 1 600w lamp requires AT LEAST 300m3/h vent. so think about it and hit us back with your decision. we're here to help :)

but 1 600w in that room... it's just pointless ;)

bless

man

• Like 1

Well Thanks guys,Im definitely going to reconsider my setup now. Im gonna do a detailed post of my entire setup, since this is my first indoor grow my setup is based on info from reading forums and researching which is never as good as experience. Im sure I can get some good insight from the pros here and ensure a more efficient grow.

• Like 2

it all depends on what you want the outcome to be. if you want a personal grow one room and 2-3 600w is enough, if the op is more comercial go with as many as possible.

I can give you plans and instructions for couple of rooms in that size from 2-6 lamps. but first tell us what you try to achive here :)

also if you are first time indoor go with coco handwater/drip/f&d. IMO it's a lot easier that dwc...

and if you have some photos of your room that would be great to see and give you more intructions on that :)

hit us back

peace

man

• Like 1

Ive basically got a room thats 7.5m long and 2,9m wide. At the moment its just a shell, just fitting new  exterior doors on before I start building the inside on the weekend. Ive planned for 4 flowering rooms and one Veg room as well as a drying room. I've got chemdog and jack herrer strains from GHSC to start with. On inception of this project my requirement was and still is around 500grams every two weeks. I will take some photos today and put them up aswell and as i go along with the build.  Im working on drawing a detailed sketch of proposed setup showing everything including fans, lights, plants, and details, il put it up later today soon as ive completed it. hoping to get some good critiscism/advice on that.

Thanks for your replies man! much appreciated

• Like 1

man I will really appreciate that. 

the height of the room is about 3,1 metres, but I am going to put in a ceiling at about 2,4m, which I will hang lights from etc, the space above will be for all the ducting,wiring etc.

I was thinking not more than about 4000w including fans, lighting, pumps etc. For the veg room i was considering using CFL's aswell but not 100% on that yet.

• Like 1

shn3ak

I lost my nerves with this computer tech and shit...so I'm just gonna explain to you and maybe I could do some simple sketch in paint if you wouldn't understand :)

so I came up with this kind of a plan:

- first, I think your romm is WAY too big for that wattage so we will take just 2,9m x 4m.

- on one side you gonna make 2 rooms, each 1m x 2m, together 1m x 4m

- the other side will have 3 rooms: first is veg room 1m x 1,5m, mother room 1m x 1m and dry room 1m x 1m

- the veg/mother/dry rooms:

from dry room small vent(150m3/h) to mother room, from mother room(200m3/h) to veg room, veg room vent out(300m3/h). lights: mother 600W MH, veg 2 x 400W MH or 600W MH

flower room will have switchable vents and lights and constant on 12/12:

room A light on, vent on to room B

room B light on, vent to room A

"this way you will give plants natural co2"

both rooms 2 x 600W HPS and 600-800m3/h

in each flower room you can fit 8 DWC buckets or 16-32 pots, veg room can hold 4 DWC buckets or 16 pots

this way you could harvest half of flower room every 2 weeks, put in to dry room, veged plants into flower and new clones into veg(rooting)

electrical panel for flower rooms should be outside in the "hallway"

if anything else just ask :)

hope this will help you!

good luck ;)

man

room 1.bmp

• Like 1

just few extra notes :)

-in flower rooms do ventilation like this:

leave the fans on the wall between the rooms but add 2 more to vent out. for both rooms use 300-350m3/h you'll need 4 but just 2 filters. make two covered wholes on the side as low as possible to suck air in.

12:00 room A light on, A-B vent on, B vent out on, B-A vent off, A vent out off

24:00 switch whats on-off and whats off-on

use a 12/12 switcher for that. he ballasts will never turn off it will just switch to other lamp

-tank(s) of 100L can be outside in the "hall" but use the remaining space for one big one(next to veg room, 100x50 x 100 height is 500L)or just expand the room for 500l plastic tank

-you will need a additional vent for the whole room(4x2,9) and set it to turn on when temp rises above 25

-small cuttings can be with the mothers but make a smaller closet under the mothers(separate the mother room 80cm from ground) and use t5 4 x 90cm cool white. use 4 good mother plants and replace them with "best clone" after half year(or don't :))

-two weeks of good and well-treated indica veg time in dwc will eventuall give you around 100-120g per plant which will make your twoweekly harvest 400-480g / f&d sog with 50 sativas per room will give you more but that means "rotation*" every 5days (which is a full time job for 1 man but all can be done :) ) or 25good rooted and 5 days veged clones every month and half *make clones-put rooted in veg-put veged in flower-harvest whats done-trim...-take the dried out and put new in...

that was a long one again...but did setup a similar one once for a friend and it was smooth as a baby s ass ;) I have to stop smoking but this strawberry haze is still sweet as a mofo ;)

there are many ways to grow but we all get high just the same :)

bless you Jamaica friend

peace

man

• Like 2

Hey manUbuntu,

Thank you for these incredibly detailed posts, super informative and answered a lot of my questions which I hadn't even asked yet. Definitely some good thinking and fresh perspective. Now that you explain further the ventilation system it sounds amazing and am keen to try it. I am going to do a grow journal when I start up so you will be able to see the system in action. Thanks again bro for your time and advice.

One love

Ciao

• Like 1