*BEST BEGINNER STRAINS*

ghetto2190

Hi everyone, I am looking on starting a new grow journal I have all my stuff ready apart from one much needed thing !SEEDS!. But I am stuck on what strain to choose considering there are so many to choose from, as I am new to this whole growing hobbie of mine was wondering if anyone can help me on deciding which strain to choose, I preferably would like a pure indica or a cross between the 2 but a lot more indica than sativa, and the plant can not be to large as the height in my tent is only 1.6meters, so would like a short growing plant.Any suggestions guys

All input appreciated Thanks

*also is it possible to get a strain good for a beginner that does not have so many different phenotypes would prefer plants with the same characteristics, is it possible to get all this from a feminized cannabis seed

Hello Man, well if you want a short strain the FLower bomb kush will be a perfect candidate, you could go for the White widow, white rhino, AMS, Kings Kush, Bubba Kush, basically all the kush of the catalog should fit your room :) and the white family as well.

And if you want to keep them controled a little bit look about FIM or topping, all the techniques that cut a little bit the top to make a little bit more bushy plants will help you, and they will give you more yeild on the kush and indica strains in general, if you keep them low make sure to take the time to develop  a nice structure of branches to hold many buds before flowering :)

Have a good grow !

Money Maker, Caobose, Afgooey...  all good indica dominant hybrids, good yielders, fast and I would say "easy" to grow or "for beginners"

All of them were "elite clone only" strain until Strain Hunters make them into seeds, so expect top class material!!

Thanks for the comments, after some carefully consideration and a lot of reading and watching other peoples grow videos for the past 2 n a half weeks I'm now stuck between 3 either the big bang,el nino or super bud but every time I try ordering them from either the ghsc or an online seed bank there always out of stock

Attitude or Herbie are good wholesalers.

I thought big bang had reputation of being difficult to grow but I never grew it myself so it might be rumors. For GHS stock you had best advice possible all I can add is that White Rhino got amazing reputation for being both simple and great smoke.

Personally for beginners I always recommend Northern Lights, old school, very strong, low smell, easiest to grow I can imagine, big yield, short, great smoke, should be almost pure indica. Also this genetics is so old and stable that almost all reputable breeders sell the same stuff. Saying all that I grew it twice so I would go for White Rhino for a change :D 

I grew one from homegrown fantaseeds and from nirvana. Both were very similar both were excellent (both grown in biobizz soil and nutes), I love Nirvana but homegrown fantaseeds got a bit better reputation (although I personally never had any troubles with Nirvana and I ordered from them in past for my outdoor grows and for all my indoor grows, I always have 1 seed from them). Sensi Seeds have Northern Lights too but a bit pricey if it is your first grow I would go with cheaper seeds, also very often cheaper in this industry doesn't mean worst, especially when it comes to old genetics everyone got more or less the same. Even when I underfed or burned other plants a bit Nortern Lights was never affected. Low smell so if you do something wrong with filter you won't have cops at your place in 5 min and that is the case with some strains who can smell whole place in no time. 

As for white rhino I never grew it but I've heard a lot of good about it and about white shark, Both should be ok to grow for beginner. I have plan to grow one of them, maybe next grow since in this one I already don't have place.

Again website that I already gave you comes handy:

http://www.growweedeasy.com/choose-best-strain-marijuana-beginners

They recommend Jack Herer (I got it for my first indoor grow from GHS, very strong smell, and not very easy to grow but not extremely hard but this smoke is a killer! ). They recommend Northern Lights of course :D And they recommend Super Lemon Haze, I don't know is SLH easy to grow but if it is it would be my first choice by all means. I have friends who grew it and this smoke is unreal, it is on my list for next grow no doubt. So if you want one strain I would go Northern Lights (recommended approach), if 2 : NL and SLH, if 3 NL +SLH + White Rhino or White Shark seems like very good option. But I must say i din't grew last 3 and I only know second hand about last 2 that they are very good smoke.  

I have just been on nirvana website mooching about and I had a very detailed look into both the northern lights and the aurora indica and the 32 pages of reviews about both strain were amazing the only problem I have is a few people saying aurora indica has 2-3 different phenos and they say some have grown over 4ft and looked more sativa like but yet only vegged a few inches or so they say its predominantly indica on there website but its a hybrid, most of these reviews though are over 2 years old so not really fussed, so in a pack of 5 seeds your bound to have more than 1 pheno but who cares because everyone that has grew aurora says the smoke is an absolute head fuck lol and that's what I'm all about after 7pm........so I'm gona go with what you said in your 1st post leyus, northern lights and aurora indica for my 1st grow cheers for helping a newbie out.

A* for your inspiring information and input. And thanks again for helping us out

• Like 1

I have just been on nirvana website mooching about and I had a very detailed look into both the northern lights and the aurora indica and the 32 pages of reviews about both strain were amazing the only problem I have is a few people saying aurora indica has 2-3 different phenos and they say some have grown over 4ft and looked more sativa like but yet only vegged a few inches or so they say its predominantly indica on there website but its a hybrid, most of these reviews though are over 2 years old so not really fussed, so in a pack of 5 seeds your bound to have more than 1 pheno but who cares because everyone that has grew aurora says the smoke is an absolute head fuck lol and that's what I'm all about after 7pm........so I'm gona go with what you said in your 1st post leyus, northern lights and aurora indica for my 1st grow cheers for helping a newbie out.

A* for your inspiring information and input. And thanks again for helping us out

My plan is to grow aurora indica next grow for sure I have room for 8 strains in my growroom and this grow I have AK48 from Nirvana, and next it is Aurora Indica. Northern Lights + Afghani should be fairly short. With most stable strains you can expect few different phenos, read on growweedeasy about LST and topping and size won't be your problem with any indica. You're welcome. 

Aurora Indica and Northern Lights should be very similar so if you have room for one more grab that Super Lemon Haze trust me you won't regret it, especially that both are excellent evening smoke while SLH should be a bit more of a daytime smoke. You can buy single seeds from attitude and few other websites so you don't have to go for whole pack. I never do. 

well yeah the NL big bang and all this strain i have read in the last post are getting a little away from the short indica you wanted ;) Of course they are not sativas neither, but the big bang and NL if you dont know them a little bit you could get surprised by the stretch in 1m60 ^^

Or maybe start to think about growing in SCROG no? like this you could choose more or less any strain you want.

Cheers

well yeah the NL big bang and all this strain i have read in the last post are getting a little away from the short indica you wanted ;) Of course they are not sativas neither, but the big bang and NL if you dont know them a little bit you could get surprised by the stretch in 1m60 ^^

Or maybe start to think about growing in SCROG no? like this you could choose more or less any strain you want.

Cheers

Scrog is a very good idea. But I had 2 different strain in scrog and I suggest sticking with one unless you do separate net for each pot. Otherwise when one finished and other didn't it gave me troubles with scrog. 

I got 1.65 and NL never gave me troubles. Homegrown Fantaseeds defines their NL as 100% pure indica, Nirvana defines it as hybrid but indiscription it says indica and plant is described as short.. NL is kind of famous for staying short and bushy but origins are kind of unknown (not exactly unknown but there is some mistery going on) so I guess there might be some phenos that will stretch but still I doubt it will go beyond 1.6 m. Although it depends from too many things but with some topping and LST there is no doubt you can control it very easily even if you get stretchy pheno. 

I would still try to find some room for SLH this plant is so tasty, I would love someone to comment is it easy to grow it is always good to have opinion from someone who had some experience with it. 

for sure it will not go at 1,65m height, but take away the pots, the light and the plant and you have a meter left more or less probably :) and 1m is easy to reach hehe ;)  I know the NL is not a sativa dominant, but the ones i've grown weren't neither pure indica this is for sure :)

• Like 1

And the SLH is not dificult to grow no, it can trick some growers with the stretch because it can be pretty vigorous sometimes :) But all in all it is a tolerant plant, just dont give her EC too high i think i went up to 1,8 last time i did it, but sure in some conditions she takes more. Did you check the Grow video of Arjan and Franco? you should find the one of the SLH ;)

Cheers

I must check it. I've seen so many of their grows that I can't remember which I haven't seen yet. 

Some topping and should be fine. From my experience with indicas being great for my insomnia and being my primary strain choice (I like 80-100% indica in my plants) there is nothing worst then weekend without daytime smoke :D You can't just wake'n'bake indica unless your plan for weekend is TV show marathon :D At least that result for me :D So if not just 1 strain then definitely I would add SLH there and I will in my next grow. I have same policy with GHS as with Nirvana, I like to have at lease 1 strain from them in my grow because genetics and price are just too good to not have it.

Also when it comes to stretching aurora indica might be actually better choice then NL. I never grew it (yet) but it is one of most famous Nirvana strains.

• Like 1

I think all these strains are going to be to big for my small grow cupboard I think I'm just TNA have to keep looking about for a Xmas tree type small and stocky easy to grow indica, I'm only doing 2 plants to learnt a bit from them and the best way to grow them and gna stick with 1 strain till I have mastered how to grow it, think that is my best bet really also every strain I have had from Barney's like the vanilla kush have always been very short and stocky and very bushy just how I want an indica to be

I think all these strains are going to be to big for my small grow cupboard I think I'm just TNA have to keep looking about for a Xmas tree type small and stocky easy to grow indica, I'm only doing 2 plants to learnt a bit from them and the best way to grow them and gna stick with 1 strain till I have mastered how to grow it, think that is my best bet really also every strain I have had from Barney's like the vanilla kush have always been very short and stocky and very bushy just how I want an indica to be

Vanilla Kush sounds like a good choice. 

I got 1.65 m and I grew in it: Northern Lights (twice), Jack Herer, White Russian, Blue Cheese. Even with 9 weeks vegging I had no problem. Do research on: 12/12 form seed, topping, finning, LST, scrog (it's all on growweedeasy webiste and various forums all over internet). If you investigate those methods you can grow in even much smaller space, some people grow in PC case. That is less then 0.5 m. 

This grow I am going: Arjan's Ultra Haze #1, Kali Mist, AK48, Cheese, Kosher Kush, Afghani, Northern Lights#5 x Haze and White Widow. So 2 almost pure sativas and 3 stretchy hybrids they all have potential to go few meter height. It is not about size of your growroom that much as about how much learning you do prior to it and how much are you ready to control your plant. You are doing same thing as I am doing, you are over-thinking it. Just pick any strain recommended in this thread, all of them will work, be ready to do either SCROG or topping/finning combined with LST and if you really panic combine those 2 with 12/12 from seed and you will be fine. 

Check 12/12 from seed thread in this forum there was a bit arguing going on there but overall there is very good example of pure sativas growed under 120 cm with this method. If someone can control purest landrace sativas in this method to stay in 120 cm growroom you can control anything. Just relax man, have a toke and it will clear your mind from all that stress. 

And if you still really panick do something I normally don't recommend go auto. You really can't go wrong with auto even if you mess light cycle. They stay small, they finish from seed to end in 100 days (or less even those days I think). There is price to pay you have very little or no control over shape and size of your plant and expect less potency and yield then from pheno but if you have to be stressed out about every detail man and analyse it for hours it's better to go extra simple and see it is weed man it can grow no matter what you do to it (almost). 

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

I remember a SensiSeed catalog of mid 90`s were Northern Lights was listed as a 100% PURE INDICA.

well, some 25 years later it has changed to a sativa influenced plant that has not much to do with the NL i used to have back then from SensiSeed.

SensiSeed now list them as mostly Indica..... make your thoughts.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

i took a bunch of unknown seeds from a friend to grow .turned out there was 2 different strains of which I'm not sure wat they are .but man I got them up n running fell in love with the look of the leaves very healthy and responsive .to be honest I'm starting to grow now its not been long but .iv learned quick iv studied the science behind it all .and I must say I'm loving this new found hobby .looking at all these wonderful strains just makes me wanna grow .I try to make things as simple as possible .like the the little things such as little is more for the plants ,don't go crazy ,just be patient and study wat your doing ,take notes .just make it easier on yourself to get through the harvest .