Gordon's Guerrilla Grow 2014

Gordon

Dear friends,

I've promised you some pics but didn't have the time to up them. Since then some time passed and I took more and more shots so I decided to put up a grow journal although the grow is already over so it's more like a grow report.

This was my first outdoor grow after 6 years (grew some 2-3 times back then) so there were many mistakes involved and I'd call it a fail but I harvested! ..and that's what counts.

I started with:

• 5x Aurora Indica fem by Nirvana Seeds

• 5x Urban Poison fem by Nirvana Seeds

• ( 10x freebies)

I treated the seeds with wet towel method, all seeds germinated except 3 AI that I watered too much (I had to leave them for one week and overestimated their water needs) and they rotted. Although, I did it way too early as it turned out later on. Seedlings were extremely weak with long long stems, laying on the ground, it was pain looking at them, I had to provide them with support. They were on the window and the sun wasn't that strong back then so that's why this happened. I moved some of the freebies and all UP outside on the spot, the rest under 250W HPS in a tiny closet, where they recovered. When the 9 plants started to run out of space, I planted 6 of them outside at a different spot, leaving 2 freebies and 1 AI indoors. As it was my very first attempt at indoor growing, I left them on veg phase for too long and had problems with insufficient space and light burn was a threat since some of them were almost touching the light (which couldn't go any higher). The freebies turned out to be some crazy sativa-dominant plants that filled the closet with long branches and very small buds. Also, I apparently gave them too small pot because I could observe the signs of unhappy root system, as I've seen it a couple of times before when I was late on re-potting. The plants were suffering severe heat stress and combined with the small pots they didn't seem to want to finish so I harvested them early to stop their suffering. The freebies' harvest isn't worth mentioning and the AI yielded something between 20-25g.

Meanwhile, in the outdoor garden, 2 out of 5 UP got killed by deer. They pulled them out of the ground and I haven't found them. The remaining 3 were laying all around the spot, so I collected them and replanted again (I was lucky it was raining all week long so they didn't dry out laying on the ground with bare roots). Turns out that this spot was way too guerrilla and while nobody could see anything from anywhere, the Sun couldn't see the plants either. So I took 2 of the 3 remaining UP and planted them elsewhere on a sunny side of the hill which turned out to be the best spot of all. The soil there was very heavy and clayey. The plants were stuck. I guessed the roots had no oxygen and that's why they refused to grow. I took the plants out of the soil again, put some regular peat-based light substrate into the holes and planted again. Within the next week one of the plants got murdered by the bloodthirsty deer. Luckily, they didn't see the other one. Next week the plant finally started to grow at a rather rapid rate. Somewhere around this time the 3rd UP that was left at the original spot got pulled by the deer too. There was only one freebie left at that spot, which turned male later on so only 1 UP remained from the whole batch. It grew and flowered very nicely despite the low quality soil, in the final phase of flowering it got mold but only a tiny bit, not more than 5% of the flowers were infested. Not gonna say more about it, you'll see it in the pictures.

On the other spot with 5 freebies and 1 AI, 3 of the freebies turned male. The rest didn't want to flower at the end of September. I think this was caused by the strange freebie genetics + over-fertilization with N + too early planting. They all grew around 3m but nothing of them. AI did flower, but with rather small buds. I think AI is not good with colder climates such as mine, also as the year came closer to its end, the sun went lower and this spot didn't get enough light in the part of the life cycle where the plants needed it the most. The soil was rather dead, the root system wasn't as rich so the plants were often bending down to the ground which happened to the AI when I wasn't around and this resulted into her getting attacked by mold. I was able to save like 70-80% of the flowers to it wasn't that bad. More in pictures.

The lesson learned from this grow: NEVER DO A FREEBIE AGAIN.

Pictures (in the order they were harvested)

Aurora Indica (in):

post-35384-0-86547900-1414353482.jpg

post-35384-0-24277700-1414353515.jpg

post-35384-0-55328000-1414353530.jpg

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Thank you for sharing your outdoor session with us man :) Looks like it has been a pretty nice year for you :) the plants are looking happy and healthy till harvest :)

I suppose you must be smoking all this by now, so Have a good smoke! :)

• Like 1

Hey Dust,

thank you for the reply. You're right, it's been a great year for me, I had a lot of fun. Although it was more like a test run for me after the long break. I tried different spots, found out where it's best to plant to get as much sun as possible (especially in autumn), saw why I should never grow no-name freebies ever again (pretty obvious, I know), understood the huge importance of having a real 100% outdoor strain for my climate, and much more lessons were learned. Now I'm even more pumped for the next season and I REALLY can't wait for it to start. I'm going to have more strains and (hopefully) a much more detailed journal. There's gonna be a lot of variety and a bunch of new stuff I'm going to test so it's sure worth looking forward to.

Smoking, yeah. :) I liked (I already ran out of the one that lived under the roof) the Aurora a lot as it gave me no wall of thoughts, no paranoia, no confusion or anything like that. It started as a little energizing high for the first half an hour and then it turned into a pure relax with a pleasant body stone yet not a total couch-lock. Good for evenings to do some activity for a short period of time before you go to bed. Not very suitable for sessions with friends, as it puts you to sleep with certainty. Every time we tried to watch some movie, I saw maybe first 15 minutes at most before taking a super fast Aurora flight to the dreamland. Excellent for insomnia.

Urban Poison - a good high. Sweet, luscious taste. A very clear, uplifting experience that breathes some more life to everything around you. Out of all the strains I've been smoking lately, only this one was able to keep me awake and alert during the whole duration of a movie and I didn't lose track of the happenings once (even though it was late at night). When I smoke alone, it makes me really sensitive, creative and inspired. I also feel more linked with the world around me, standing with my feet firmly on the ground, not getting dragged away into cloud castles and lost in thought.

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...