Drying Plant to get Oxygen to the roots during Flowering

silclay

In a lot of the grow videos they mention that several times during flowering they allow the plants to get almost totally dry by not watering for 5 days.
With my plants (outdoors in large containers) if I miss more than a day watering they wilt horribly - how do you allow to dry without killing the plant?

• 3 weeks later...

i started my journey into all of this a few weeks ago when i discovered a bag seed plant in a 1 gal bucket had flowered up...now, she is stunted and crazy looking because i mostly ignored her all season...it was a whim, just to see if it would do anything at all and i had 100 other things going on...

i often let her go dry, just didn't get to her with the hose and that probably accounts for the stunting in large part...but she DID flower up and live through despite my neglect and almost no nutes...i will be harvesting her in about a week...i can speak to the technique with other plants as well (i do roses, lilies, veggies)...letting them go dry can be very helpful...they glug up what you do give them when you do, as a survival mechanism

that said, do not let it go to the point that your plants are badly wilting...a lil is ok, it will jump right back when you water/feed, but a lot and you are stressing them out