PH 5.5?

BobbyCat

Hello hello,

I've been following the growing videos of Arjan and Franco  and trying to apply their method with 5 White Widows and 3 Big Buds.

Ending Week 6 of flowering and my 8 plants are looking real good. At least I think, since this is my first grow.

Now I have a sudden huge doubt: everybody says PH in the nutes water should be around 6.2-6.8, while I've been using PH=5.5 ( EC=1.8 ) as recommended by Arjan and Franco.

So:

1) Did I misunderstand the advice in the videos ? Should I raise all future waterings to PH 6.2-6.5 ?

2) Is it OK to change the PH while there's only 3-4 weeks left before harvest?

Any opinion on the matter greatly appreciated, I'd hate to ruin everything in the last moment.

Peace.

PS. I'm using BioBizz nutes in soil.

In General,

5,6 to 5,8 is the optimal pH range for hydroponics.

6,2 to 6,5 is the optimal pH range for soil.

There may be some minor differences in the optimal pH ranges depending on the particular strain.

pH fluctuations are normal, and some mild fluctuation is healthy, allowing various minerals and nutrients to be absorbed at varying pH values.

Just dont forget to perform a flush in the last 2 weeks before harvest to help rid the plant of excess nutrients and salt build-ups.  Otherwise, residual nutes and salts in your harvested plant will result in a harsh bad-tasting smoke.

Good Luck

• Like 1

Thanks Cannabissapean for making things even clearer.

I got first confused by the video: there's a text running under during the whole report that says PH = 5.5.  I didn't realise this should only apply in the beginning, that the number had be raised to 6.2-6.5 under flowering!

Fortunately I still have 2-3 weeks to go with the correct PH. They look great already :)

Thanks again, and take care.

• 2 months later...

Franco has written it all down in very nice and easy words, just follow Franco's tips if you get lost :)

veg = lower PH value inside your medias range ( = better N intake )

flower = higher PH value "                       " ( = better P K and trace elements intake )

example:

soil , hybrid, PowderFeed:  start with around 5.8-6.0 in veg and when you reach flower you increase PH to 6.0-6.2 till week 2-3, then 6.2-6.4 week 3-5, then 6.5 till end

hydro...same game just start and end lower, depending on media.

roughly:  veg -2- flower

soil  5.8-6.5

coco 5.6 - 6.3

rockwool 5.0/5.2 - 5.7/5.9

that is what I apply

• Like 2

• 4 months later...
On 18 February 2016 at 1:43 PM, FIM said:

Franco has written it all down in very nice and easy words, just follow Franco's tips if you get lost :)

veg = lower PH value inside your medias range ( = better N intake )

flower = higher PH value "                       " ( = better P K and trace elements intake )

example:

soil , hybrid, PowderFeed:  start with around 5.8-6.0 in veg and when you reach flower you increase PH to 6.0-6.2 till week 2-3, then 6.2-6.4 week 3-5, then 6.5 till end

hydro...same game just start and end lower, depending on media.

roughly:  veg -2- flower

soil  5.8-6.5

coco 5.6 - 6.3

rockwool 5.0/5.2 - 5.7/5.9

that is what I apply

I found this topic extremely usefull especially this response 

I had made the same assumption as bobbycat

Hello guys,

and on a sidenote because i see it hasnt been said, if you have been using the wrong PH for some time for whatever reason and need to adjust, make sure to do it step by step , dont give big PH fluctuation to the plant it is better. Going 0,3 by 0,3 is more or less safe. Some plant of course will not care and just take it, but to avoid problems like locking nutrient absorption or stress to the plant better go step by step ;)

Have a good grow everyone

• 1 month later...