How many litres sog 3 week veg?

Doc L

I am planning to run my 3 square meter space a little differently with having only short uniform strain seeds, im looking at maybe 30 - 10 litre pots in the 3 square meter space, although im only looking at vegging for 3 weeks. would this be to close?

any help is appreciated

Are you growing from clones or seeds?

I assume you are using soil being that this is posted in the soil section. What kind of soil? Any amendments or do you plan to use water soluble fertilizer? How much light are you going to have?

Seeds with the first lot then i'll do a perpetrual cloning system.

Soil I'll be using something like 25% compost 25% Perlite 25% coco coir

other 25% would contain composted worm castings, sea weed meal, blood meal and tnc trace minerals

hey Doc L,

that is pretty close together for a single independant pot setup.

it does work with non-bushy strains, untopped and vegged only as long as the strain needs to show pre-sex signs.

as you have 50% non-soil in your pot it will require fequent waterings, aka short cycles.

if that is what u want and expect it is ok, otherwise rethink, maybe use larger pots to stretch cycles and select strains made for this.

i have come to the conclusion that 4 plants per sqm is min to get fully developed plants, if you go under that yield may not rise but work does.

if you want them fairly close and in small pots I'd do coco/perlit alone and dont top them or they will cover too much space and have too many buds for the smaller root ball.

in the end, tighest you can go that i know it works is 40 plants in a 90x130cm ebb&flow table in 7.5cm rockwool cubes. that is as dense as i dare to go, needs little work

but a good ventilation and calibrated meters for ec and ph. that yields alot due to full hydro but taste may suffer.

i only do soil for a couple years now with 1 coco exceptions. i stick to soil for now with the tendency to go bio .....

• Like 2

Ahh okay FIM, yeah I was thinking of using like a cheese type strain, I reckon at 3 weeks of veg it would be touching fan leaves with only 4 or 6 per sq meter?

I did try hydroponic once and I was not successful with it, even though I understand ppm, ec levels etc..

Give thanks for the reply! :)

What FIM said and I'd just add that things will go much differently from seed to clones as a clone will be much larger in 3 weeks than a seeding and depending the mother's age, they will start to flower faster once induced. I wouldn't even go with the seedlings in the first run. Make them mothers, take clones from them all, run them, then save the best plants as the primary mother(s). It will also give you more info about how the next set of clones will grow.

If you are absolutely set on going SOG, than you might want to consider one large raised bed or container like a kiddie pool, than move the light instead of 30-40 pots or whatever.

I can't count the number of people like FIM or yourself that have tried hydro and went back to soil. Even if you know all there is about ec/ppm, ph etc. all of those factors need to be checked daily and nutrient demand can differ from strain to strain. Any of those fall out of wack and things can go real bad real quick.

Yeah that is so true, i got some delahaze and cheese vegging at the moment, spreading them out over maybe 2 sq meters, gonna be another 2 or 3 weeks more veg i reckon.

I could make the cheese mothers, although at there size i think 6 would take around 5 weeks veg per sq m?

Really having problems figuring out a short 3 week veg plant in sq meter, as I dont want to be watering every hour with 30 plants in 1 square meter lol. Maybe like a daily thing ya know? Breath and talk to the babies

"

I can't count the number of people like FIM or yourself that have tried hydro and went back to soil. Even if you know all there is about ec/ppm, ph etc. all of those factors need to be checked daily and nutrient demand can differ from strain to strain. Any of those fall out of wack and things can go real bad real quick.

"

Yes PHDin420,

I went back to soil not because I screwed Hydro, it ran real fine, but for simplicity and forgiveness on one side and because Bio is somewhere down the soil road, not the rockwool street.

There is no doubt from my perspective that the yield per square meter is max with ebb&flow tables. I have seen many indoor plants, soil, coco and hydro water farms but that ebb&flow 

is faster and produces more per sqm in time than all others imho. The downside is a mechanical grow style, mostly a not so nice taste as with soil.

The benefits of hydro is less work. Honestly, if I get older I need to grow hydro again as it eliminates most of the hard and heavy soil work and moving pots around.

Hydro indoors for self consumption is less mess if done right, less work, if done right, and more yield, if done right.

What I never managed myself was to achieve a decent taste that matches a good indoor or even outdoor grow. It might have been me as that hydro ebb&flkow is two decades back

and my flushing improved (  LOL ) over the years and fertilizers got better.

I havent done DWC myself. I had a couple Waterfarms from GH coupled with 100l barrels in a ring, a setup they sold. It was ment to hold mother plants back then and worked great, too well, they grow to fast to keeep under control  lol.  I used one farm again 3 years ago for a sativa and was amazed how it outran any other in the room by far, with height, stem width, leave size, just plain everything was faster better bigger than soil. Well, still, it caused so much work, this one waterfarm, I harvested that plant and every since I am on soil and avoid

other as far as possible and have one eye on Bio.

Quality of Quantity 

Fim

If you want to water less, you either need to take out the ingredients that are providing more aeration or use larger containers. Another thing I have had success with is the use of a hydrogel like Terra-Sorb, then you kind of get a mix of both wet and airy in the same container. I use a mix with this in it in large 10 gallon containers outdoors and not have to water for the first 4 weeks, then every 2 weeks for 6-8 weeks and once a week for a couple of weeks once they are flowering and that is taking no rain into consideration and have had wet enough years where I watered them only a few times total.

If you want to use soil and water less, than I would recommend you do a SCROG instead using larger containers and try to get a 2' x 2' canopy out of each. Then use a container as large as you want to maintain, meaning if you don't want to water or just want to use water without any supplements than, use the largest you can and vice versa. It may take longer to grow and train them in the veg but the yield will be greater and if you use large containers with the right mix, almost zero maintenance. 

If you stick with your current mix I would add some dolomite lime in the mix, especially with the coco, because it can turn acidic, especially if you add anything acidic to it whether it be plain low ph water or from water soluble fertilizers and the lime will keep that in check.

"

"

Yes PHDin420,

I went back to soil not because I screwed Hydro, it ran real fine, but for simplicity and forgiveness on one side and because Bio is somewhere down the soil road, not the rockwool street.

There is no doubt from my perspective that the yield per square meter is max with ebb&flow tables. I have seen many indoor plants, soil, coco and hydro water farms but that ebb&flow 

is faster and produces more per sqm in time than all others imho. The downside is a mechanical grow style, mostly a not so nice taste as with soil.

The benefits of hydro is less work. Honestly, if I get older I need to grow hydro again as it eliminates most of the hard and heavy soil work and moving pots around.

Hydro indoors for self consumption is less mess if done right, less work, if done right, and more yield, if done right.

What I never managed myself was to achieve a decent taste that matches a good indoor or even outdoor grow. It might have been me as that hydro ebb&flkow is two decades back

and my flushing improved (  LOL ) over the years and fertilizers got better.

I havent done DWC myself. I had a couple Waterfarms from GH coupled with 100l barrels in a ring, a setup they sold. It was ment to hold mother plants back then and worked great, too well, they grow to fast to keeep under control  lol.  I used one farm again 3 years ago for a sativa and was amazed how it outran any other in the room by far, with height, stem width, leave size, just plain everything was faster better bigger than soil. Well, still, it caused so much work, this one waterfarm, I harvested that plant and every since I am on soil and avoid

other as far as possible and have one eye on Bio.

Quality of Quantity 

Fim

Yes I agree, what I had was a hydroponic 10 (26L) pots, I dont know how it started but just very slow growths overall, then I had different type of slime growing around but not affecting roots.

I think a good taste is down to flushing and also adding of micro nutrients, a good microbial soil and molasses.

If you want to water less, you either need to take out the ingredients that are providing more aeration or use larger containers. Another thing I have had success with is the use of a hydrogel like Terra-Sorb, then you kind of get a mix of both wet and airy in the same container. I use a mix with this in it in large 10 gallon containers outdoors and not have to water for the first 4 weeks, then every 2 weeks for 6-8 weeks and once a week for a couple of weeks once they are flowering and that is taking no rain into consideration and have had wet enough years where I watered them only a few times total.

If you want to use soil and water less, than I would recommend you do a SCROG instead using larger containers and try to get a 2' x 2' canopy out of each. Then use a container as large as you want to maintain, meaning if you don't want to water or just want to use water without any supplements than, use the largest you can and vice versa. It may take longer to grow and train them in the veg but the yield will be greater and if you use large containers with the right mix, almost zero maintenance. 

If you stick with your current mix I would add some dolomite lime in the mix, especially with the coco, because it can turn acidic, especially if you add anything acidic to it whether it be plain low ph water or from water soluble fertilizers and the lime will keep that in check.

Yep i'll upload a pic of how they are soon, Ive already top dressed with lime, blood meal and TNC micro nutrients

• 2 weeks later...