Ready for harvest?

Ram Tegia

Ram Tegia,

You must be in the southern hemisphere, harvesting outdoors at this time of year.

In my opinion, this plant still has some time to go.  Definitely stop giving the Miracle-Grow fertilizer.  At this point, you want to stop giving nitrogen(N), and increase the P & K.  But, there is still plenty of all 3 (NPK) in the ground from previous feedings.  I would now feed it only water when it appears thirsty to help the plant to flush-out the fertilizers from its tissues.  The more salts and fertilizers that the plant can get rid of, the better the smoke.  If the salts and fertilizers remain in the plant, then the smoke will be  harsh, the taste will be bad, and the dried material will not burn well. 

I usually allow the plant to tell me when it is ready to harvest.  The best time to harvest the plant is not while it is all green and healthy-looking, but rather when it is matured after it has completed a green and healthy life. 

I watch the pistils (little white hairs).  As long as the plant keeps throwing new pistils, then it is still producing flowers and putting on weight.

I watch the Trichomes (tiny resin balls on the flowers and flower-leaves).  As long as they are still clear, it is not yet finished.  When they turn milky, then it is getting close to harvest.  When they start to turn amber, then harvest.

I watch the fan-leaves.  Not the leaves at the bottom of the plant; they die off because of lack of light or age.  I mean the fan-leaves extending  outward around and just below the colas.  When these leaves start to yellow, then the plant is drawing the last sugars and energy out of those leaves to deposit it into the colas.  That is also a sign of harvest time.

It looks to me like your girl can still put on some weight, and helping her to flush away salts and nutrients will make her smoke sweeter.

I am happy that you have opened a grow journal.

• Like 1

By the way,  here's a tip to help you with uploading pictures.

You may have been rotating your pictures within your explorer so that they are properly oriented on your computer, but after the upload into the forum, they appear in the false orientation.  That is because the forum's server ignores the explorer attributes.

To correct this, for each picture that you correct the orientation, you need to open the corrected picture with another app, such as Paint (among others).  Simply open the picture in Paint, then save it.  Now upload the picture to the forum, and its new attributes will be recognized by the forum's server and it will appear upright in the thread.

• Like 1

The more I study your pictures, the more I think I may have suggested flushing a bit too early.  If you were feeding BioBizz or GH Powderfeeding, it appears that the plant could benefit from some further feeding, especially using the Bloom and TopMax solutions from BioBizz.  The flowers appear to have further potential to grow and expand, and then after a bit more weight gain, return to flushing.  But, you are using Miracle-Grow.  I've never used that for Cannabis, so I don't know how much residual nutrients remain in the soil around the plant.  You'll have to be the judge, though.  You have eyes on the plant. 

Many of us here have heard that Miracle-Grow is OK for decorative flowers or for garden vegetables, but that it is not fine-tuned for Cannabis.  Additionally, the use of Miracle Grow soils is often discouraged because the Miracle Grow nutrients in those soils are time-released, and therefore unpredictable, sometimes to the point of deficiency or toxicity.  So it is possible that this plant may not reach its full potential for a heavy harvest.  For your future grows, I would recommend the use of nutrients that are more tuned for cannabis.

Not knowing where you are, I don't know whether you can purchase GH Powderfeeding or BioBizz nutrients or Fox Farms soils/nutrients or Happy Frog soils/nutrients or Plagron soils/nutrients or HESI, Remo....., etc.   Powderfeeding is available here at GHS/SH.  For the others, just use your search engine to find their websites, study their products and find suppliers near you.  There are many nutrient producers around the world; I do not know them all, but the list above is a good starting-list for research.

It has gained weight in the last week. Your help is greatly appreciated and I enjoy learning about this excellent plant. I will use one of the tuned fertilizers for my next foray. I have ceased the use of miracle grow, and will continue with compost tea made from gras clippings.

The compost is brewed with rainwater. I also have access to artesian well water. I do not know if this is a coincidence but as soon as I used the artesian water the flower growth increased. 

What do you think about a garden store brand of 00-10-10 fertilizer to finish this plant?

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

I would be tempted to mix 2-Liters compost tea with 8-Liters artesian water and 10-ml 00-10-10 for feedings.

If she responds well and produces more pistils or gains weight, then continue.

If pistils start to amber or trichomes start to milk, then reduce compost tea and 0-10-10 by half.

When the fan-leaves around the colas yellow, or the trichomes are all milky, or the pistils stop new generation, then just pure well water til harvest.

P.S.  I like your tea-service.

That is the black water hose and shovel tip placed perfectly. I did not see that! When I first took the pic, I noticed the frog's eye; had to go get a flashlight to see the animal. 

"Growing outside is like a box of chocolates; you never know what you gonna get."- Forrest Gumptafarian

• Like 1

It IS fun, isn't it?

Oh, maaan.  You got Fox Farm's Tiger Bloom.  I'm so jealous...  Is that one quart?

Neem Oil is a good purchase.  I use that too from time to time.  I guess the soap is also against aphids, etc.?

Looks like you're planning to expand the operation.  Are more germinations planned for the near future? 

If so, please keep documenting and I'm gonna pull up a chair, take my shoes off and stay a while. 

Your posts are a lot of fun to read.  I'm adding you to my friends list if that's OK with you.

You mentioned earlier an indoor fluorescent lighting used for germination.  If you would like to see a highly informative and entertaining video on setting-up an indoor hydroponics operation, check-out on youtube "Mr. Green - I Grow Chronic".  It is 9 parts, each about 15 minutes.  His video is the basis for my indoor set-up.  And it works well.

P.S.  The doorbell rang just now, and my package from GreenHouse has arrived.  I'm gonna open it.  Can I post pictures of the unboxing here in your thread?