Kalashnicova & Passion #1 Outdoor Grow 2016

gasmeter

Its time to get the ball rolling and pop a couple of beans, ready for another outdoor grow.

This year I have a plan.

Strains

1 X Kalashnicova = Green House Seeds
1 X Passion #1 = Dutch Passion

Both photoperiod girls

Growing Medium

BioBizz All Mix
Perlite

Plant Feed

Canna Start = seedling
Plant Magic Soil Grow = veg
Plant Magic Root Stimulant = veg & flowering
Plant Magic Soil Bloom = flowering

More updates to follow.

Wednesday 11 May 2016

Today I bought 50 Litres of BioBizz All Grow mix, 20 Litres of Perlite and a cheap propagator.

Started germinating 1 X Kalashnicova from Green House Seeds and 1 X Passion #1 from Dutch Passion seed bank.

Located two small dishes and applied small sticky labels so I can identify the seed and strain folded two kitchen paper towels into little blankets and place one in each dish.

Then added water to soak the paper towel thoroughly then place a seed on the wet paper towel in the appropriate dishes and took a few photos.

Then I folded the paper towels to cover each seed and keep them nice and damp and then I placed both dishes into a drawer where it is nice and dark.

Now I need to think of names for these two likkle sisters.

The game is afoot...

grm_kalashinicova_bean.jpg

grm_passion1_bean.jpg

grm_passion1_kalashnicova.jpg

• Like 1

Thursday 12 May 2016

Checked beans first thing in morning kitchen roll in both dishes still well damp no change, checked the beans after lunch and no change, checked again before I crashed out kitchen roll still nice and damp beans look slightly bigger, popped the dishes back into the drawer.

Updates to follow.

Checked the beans first this morning and both of them have popped, game on!

At first I thought that only the Passion #1 had popped but on closer inspection I could see the Kalashnicova had also popped too.

So I got a magnifying glass and had another look and I could clearly see a beeny tap root peeping out of each of the seed shells, so I covered them up and put them back in the drawer, the kitchen roll is still well damp.

In the afternoon I took both dishes out of the drawer again and peeled back the kitchen roll and took a few photos of the beans.

This morning when I checked on the beans the tap roots were about a couple of millimetres long, when I uncovered them to take the photos I was amazed at how much the tap roots had grown in the space of a few hours.

Yesterday prepared some substrate for the seedlings and for when I repot them, I mixed some perlite with some compost for the seedlings and then I added some to a large bucket of BioBizz which already contains some perlite, but after last year I know it is not enough and it will become compacted.

I also bought a cheap propagator as well and this morning I got some beeny 3 inch pots, so I can pot the seedlings tomorrow which will give the tap roots time to grow some more, at the moment the weather is Iree the sun is shining and its warm outside, no jacket required.

I can put the propagator outside in the back yard during the day and bring it inside at night.

grm_popped_beans.jpg

grm_passion1_popped.jpg

grm_kalashnocova_popped.jpg

• Like 1

Hey guys last year I put some rubble in the bottom of the larger pots I used to help with drainage which unfortunately made the pots heavier, especially the final pot I used.

But when I look at many journals where people use pots outdoors it looks like the pots are just full of substrate, which from the looks of it obviously drains out OK.

Any thoughts or advice will be much appreciated.

hi

Once had it explained to me just like this and you can make your mind up for yourself.

Soil is like a sponge it will only hold a certain amount of water, now if we place a sponge

on a pile of gravel and pour water on the sponge it will only still hold same water it will

not make more drain out.

Anything in the bottom of pots is using valuable root space. make your pot so they can

not sit in a puddle of water and the medium will drain to it abillity.

example- enough drain holes in bottom and a 10mm air gap under pot.

hope this helps.

peace

Hi Old Head, thanks for the upfull advice and explanation that makes a lot of sense, good reasoning man, inner love

Yeah I put the pots on bricks to raise them off the floor so air can circulate under the pot, plus my niece has a Chihuahua who is my little buddy and he ikes to pee against the pots, which on its own is enough reason to place them on bricks the little buggers piss is like a witches brew man.

You can tell where he has peed there are loads of little patches where there is absolutely no algae or lichen, that stuff is toxic man, he does a much better job than me with a bloodclaat pressure washer thats for sure.

Thanks again for the advice it is much appreciated.

Likkle more

Checked the beans this morning and the tap roots on both beans have grown longer over night.

So I took some photos of the beans again and then I removed the labels from the dishes put them on the beeny 3 inch pots and filled them with the seedling compost I had prepared a couple of days ago and then I water the soil with some tap water I put in a spray bottle yesterday afternoon.

I then placed the each bean in their respective pots and covered them over making sure the tap root was pointing downwards, although the Passion #1 tap root was curling back around the seed shell it was easier to place than the Kalashnicova which kept falling over.

But I used a pair of tweezers to hold them both by the shell casing as I placed them and used the moisture in the dirt to stick them to the side of the little hole with the tap root pointing downwards and then I gently covered them with compost and then gave them both a good spray of water.

Then I placed the pots in the propagator and placed a piece of cling film over the tops of the pots to help to retain moisture within the pots, then I placed the lid on the propagator and placed it outside in the back yard in a nice sunny spot and placed a piece of concrete paving on top of the propagator to weight it so it does not get blown off if it gets a bit breezy.

day_4_kalshnicova_passion1_popped_beans.jpg

day_4_kalashnicova_bean.jpg

day_4_passion1_bean.jpg

kalashnicova_passion1_beans_potted.jpg

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

I am a bumboclaat I messed up, so I popped the last Kalashnicova and another Passion #1 bean and they germinated fine the shell cracked on the Passion #1 within 24 hours of placing them in dishes in damp kitchen towel blankets as before and the Kalashnicova popped her shell about 8 hours later,.

Then on Saturday I potted them and made sure there was only about 5 millimetres of dirt above the seed shell sprayed a little water on the dirt and placed some cling film kitchen wrap over the tops of the pots and popped them in the propagator.

Wow on Monday morning the Passion #1 came earth strong with a bullet man, she had bust out the dirt and her stalk was about an inch long and this morning when I checked them the Kalashnicova had come earth strong and her stalk was about an inch long, I have topped up the pots to bury the stems and placed them under a flourescent light where they will live for the next few days.

seedlings_passion1_kalashicova.jpg

• Like 1

haha well shit happens, at least you got the seed problem fixed and you are now ready for some nice ladies ;) 

dont be shy and dont hesitate to ask the people if you have some doubts on the growing techniques, hope to see these ladies flower nicely ;) 

Have a good grow

Hi Dust thanks for the encouragement, inner love man.

Since I was a pickney my perspective as I forward in life has always been this, today I am less of a dickhead than I was yesterday, tomorrow I will be a bit less of a dickhead than I am today,  despite this my stupid switch gets stuck in the on position now and again.

Just a quick update both seedlings are doing fine and the little stems are turning green and the first set of leaves are developing, the weather forcast for the next couple of days is a bit shitty lots of cloud and showers so I will keep them under the flourescent light for a few more days until the weather improves.

seedlings_top_view.jpg

seedlings_under_light.jpg

seedlings_kal_pass_side_view.jpg

• Like 1

Hey guys its been a few days since my last update, since then I have kept the seedlings under a flourescent tube and they are growing nicely.

Today I put them outside at around 6.30am and left them outside in the back yard in the propagator to protect them until about 12.30 then I brought them inside an placed them back under the flourescent tube again, I will keep doing this over the next few days and then slowly increase the time outside.

At the moment I am only giving them water using a spray, I give each about 4 squirts to damp to soil around the base of the stem 3 times per day.

Over the next couple of days I need to bury the stems, either by taking them out of the pots and dusting off some dirt from the bottom so it sits lower and put the dirt back in to the pot to bury as much of the stem as possible, or if I can re pot them in a couple of slightly larger pots if necessary.

I am just wondering how much of the stem I should bury, maybe half or right up to the baby leaves, any thoughts and advice will be gratefully received.

I now overstand why you need to get the seedlings as close as possible to the light source your using.

Both seedlings

31may_seedlings.jpg

Kalashnicova seedling

31may_kalashnicova.jpg

Passion #1 seedling

31may_passion1.jpg

So far I am well pleased with their progress.

Likkle more

Gasmeter

• Like 2

Hello man! Thanks for the update and good to see your seedling are doing good.

Concerning the stem it is really a personal choice, you have to take in consideration that everything you will burry from the stem will most likely sproot some roots from it so nothing is lost ;) 

But you need to think in  a few things before burrying too much, in outdoor usually people like to keep the first sets of leaves a little bit higher from the floor to keep away from rodent and any pest that could not be able to climb on the stem, so the lower your first leaves are the most vulnerable they are to intrusions. but its not like its a super huge deal neither dont worry, i would just put half of this in the soil next time you will repot, but dont rush the babies in a repot just for a stem length problem, you can use some kind of small support to help it to hold up if you see they start weakening, it will at one point become rigid and strong enough to hold by itself ;)

Good luck man have a good grow!

Hi Dust your welcome man, thanks for the thoughts about the stem, I am going to just watch and see how they go, as you say of they look like they are suffering and getting weak I can support them with a little stick.

They both seem to have slowed down height wise at the moment and the stems look like they are getting a little thicker, so I won't rush and let them tell me.

I put them outside again about 6.30am when I got up and it was quite cloudy and sunny until lunch time, then it was nice and sunny with less cloud when I checked them they looked fine so I left them until about 4pm and then I brought them inside and put them back under the flourescent tube to finish the day.

The kalashnicova is slightly taller than the Passion #1 still and as you can see I have had to put pieces of tile under the propagator lid so it is not touching the lid which also increases air flow, which will help to strengthen the stems.

out_doors_june01.jpg

This is the Kalashnicova

kalashnicova_june01.jpg

And here is the Passion #1

passion1_june01.jpg

The weather is supposed to be cloudy and sunny again tomorrow, so I will probably leave them outside most of the day again.

They seem to like the sun, I will update again in a couple of days.

Likkle more

Gasmeter

Nice seedlings Gasmeter.  Always good to hear a grower learning from mistakes.  Distance to lamp is important.

Helpful advice:  Watch-out when allowing seedlings to sit outside.  Slugs and snails love cannabis, and seedlings especially.

And, be careful with the plastic cover; it can allow too much solar heat build-up.  As they look now, I would go ahead and ditch the cover, they don't need the cover, they need to feel the breeze now to help strengthen the stems.

Keep up  the good work...

Hey guys thanks for the encouragement, inner love

Bread_W1nnr you will be glad to hear they had their second feed tonite just before I brought them inside for the night, the dirt they are sat in is for seedlings and has no nutes in it, so I decided to hold off feeding until they started to go yellow providing a visual sign that they had consumed most of the nutes, so I could be sure they are ready for a feed.

Over the past few days I have changed from watering 3 times per day down to morning and night, then just in the evening ready for the first feed as I could see the little beeny baby leaves slowly going yellow.

Cannabisapean thanks for the heads up man, you will be glad to know I use a couple of pieces of slate lath to raise the lid of the propagator because of the height of the seedlings and to provide air flow, each day the gap gets slightly larger, today I left the lid off most of the day it has been hot and sunny, although tomorrow it looks like it will be cloudy and dull so I will keep them under the flourescent light.

I have mixed up 2 litres of feed using a tiny bit of Canna Start and some root stimulant, previously I was using a spray and giving each plant 8 squirts, so I have been using the syringe I use to measure the nutes to squirt 40 millilitres of feed into each pot, the dirt drains really well, so I sit the pot in a saucer to catch the run off and then pour it back onto the pot and repeat until the dirt is saturated.

I have been taking photos every day and I can see the stem is slowly getting stronger and thicker, so I will let them carry on as they are and hold off up potting them until I need to then I can bury some of the stem to reduce their height slightly, but still leave a nice space below each plant.

I have already cleaned up the back yard and removed fallen leaves and dirt and removed shit loads of snails, so it is just a case of keeping of top of things going forwards, those slugs are murderers the little bastards had a munch on Mary last year, but I mashed up their plan with some slug pellets..

Here are some pics the first is both girls outside in the yard just before I watered and fed them.

06june-2016-seedlings.jpg

Here is a close up of the Kalashnicova

06may-2016-kalashnicova-seedling.jpg

And here is a close up of the Passion #1

06june-2016-passion1-seedling.jpg

More to follow in a few days.

Likkle more

Gasmeter

• Like 1

Whappen Greenfinger-devertonian

Yeah man those stems a few days ago just looked impossible like they were defying gravity and the laws of physics they were so skinny.

I love how the stems thickened going downwards obviously using gravity, rather than fighting gravity growing thicker from the dirt up.

Sounds like your not far away on the otherside of the bay just to the left of Wales, I bet if you stand on the roof you can see our house

Last year I did my first experimental grow in order to overstand the plants life cycle, I started late had to chop her and harvest early due to bud rot, but I got just over 3 ounces of small bud and 500 grammes of trim, which I used to make  some butter and made brownies and some qwiso, despite my ignorancey it worked out.

The main thing is your starting at the right time,, it is just a case of making use of the sunlight and getting the plant to fower and finish,, I am light proofing the shed so I can pop them inside at night to control the photoperiod and hopefully trick them into flowering early so they get on with building big sticky buds.

Good luck with your grow.

Gasmeter

Likkle more

Hey guys a quick update on prgress, it was nice and sunny for a few days last week so the girls got plenty of sunshine and then in the early evening after a couple of hours where the sun is not directly on them I put them under the flourescent light until it goes dark outside.

But on Friday and yestaerday it was cloudy and wet so they stayed inside under the flourescent light/tube nice and cozy, one night I was a red an forgot to switch off the light so they got 36 hours of light by the time I switched off the light the following evening, I could certainly see the difference this made to both of them and I can now really overstand why people veg using a 24 hour photoperiod, but  I still thinkit aint Ital.

They do plenty of growing in the dark simply because they are not using light to make and store sugar as well as brun it to build new cells, they can just get on with burnin sugar and building structure which is a restful state for the plant, its just ticking over, ready to hit the loud pedal when it comes light and its work load increases.

I suppose it is a case of moderation and keeping a close eye on the plants if it appears to cause a problem, stop let them rest in the dark.

Anyhoo here are a couple of the photos I took before I watered and fed them tonight.

june12-2016-kala-pass.jpg

Kalashnicova

june12-2016-kalashnicova.jpg

Passion #1

june12-2016-passsion1.jpg

I forgot to resize the images in Phtoshop so they are high resolution so there is plenty of detail in the images.

I will update again in a few days

Gasmeter

Likkle more

• Like 1

Time for an update

The weather has been mixed with lots of cloud and showers so they have spent time inside under the flourescent light, although we did have a couple of days when it was nice and sunny so they got some sunshine and they are both doing great and growing nicely.

I noticed that roots were starting to come out of the bottoms of the pots so tonite I repotted both plants into 10 inch pots, the roots on both plants were starting to swirl around the bottom of each pot so it looks like they were ready for a bigger pot, I buried some of the stem to about the same point on each plant.

In the smaller pots I was using a 5ml syringe for measuring medicine and squirting 40ml into each pot with about 8ml run off and each night the pots were nice and light.

So after repotting when I watered them I gave them about half a cup of the Canna Start mix which I poured gently around the base of the stems to soak the roots, the soil in the new pot is BioBizz All Mix which contains some nutes so I will give them just water tomorrow, I don't want to hurt those beeny roots.

So here are some photos starting with the Kalashnicova ready to repot.

kalashnicova.jpg

The Kalashnicova's roots

kalashnicova_roots.jpg

Passion #1 ready to repot

passion1.jpg

Passion #1 roots

passion1_roots.jpg

Passion #1 and Kalashnicova in new 10 inch pots

passion1_kalashnicova_new_pots.jpg

Close up of the top of the Kalshnicova

kalashnicova_close_up.JPG

Cose up of the top of the Passion #1

passion1_colse_up.jpg

I tried to post last night but for some reason I got logged out and it was late and I was red so I left it and got some sleep.

I left them outside until it got dark then I put them in the shed next to the window and early this morning I put them outside again and the waether this morning was cloudy and sunny and now after lunch there is a lot less cloud and plenty of sunshine so they should have a good day.

Although it looks like it will be cloudy with some more rain over the next couple of days, but then clearing up with sunny weather to follow

This morning I noticed that on the fourth node on both plants they have thrown 6 leaves on one side and the Kalashnicova has thrown a 7 on the opposite side, yet the Passion #1 threw a 5 and the 6th leaf is not as clearly formed on the Kalashnicova you can see it in the image above.

Likkle more

Gasmeter

Hey guys I got a couple of questions I need help with.

First when or at what stage is a seedling not a seedling?

Considering that the BioBizz All mix contains some nutes should I carry on using the Canna Start and Plant Magic Root Stimulant I have been feeding or start to feed the Plant Magic Soil Grow and Plant Magic Root Stimulant instead?

At the moment the mix I have been feeding is weak at about half what is stated on the labels, any thoughts and advice will be much appreciated.

Likkle more

Gasmeter

When is a seedling no longer a seedling?  Hmmmmm, kind of a gray area, but I usually look to the cotylin leaves (baby leaves) that came out of the seedpod.  When they turn yellow or brown or fall off, then I consider my plant no longer a seedling.

Regarding the All-Mix question:  I think you have made the exact correct decision.  And if the girls are happy with the half-strength mixture, stay with that.  Let the girls tell you if they are hungry.  And if there are no signs of deficiency, alternate-in a feeding of just clean rainwater from time to time to allow the roots to use-up what is remaining in the All-Mix.  This will also act to help flush-away any excess salts from the root-ball.  Just remember to allow the run-off to go away from the plant most of the time.  Cannabis roots don't like to sit in water unless it is highly aerated.

• Like 1

Hi Cannabissapean, thanks for your thoughts on my question about seedlings that makes sense, by the time the baby leaves have gone yellow the plant has produced the first set of true leaves and a couple more sets, I think this is a great way to measure when it is not a seedling, just wait and she will tell you.

So far they are doing great with the weak Canna Start and Plant Magic Root Stimulant feed solution so like you say I will keep giving it to them, I was thinking the same about giving them just water every few feeds to flush the soil and as you say this will help it use up the nutes in the soil, which drains well I added more perlite to it.

Last night I gave them a mug full of water each before it went dark and then I left them in the shed over night and put them back outside this morning, it was cloudy with a bit of sun all morning but mid afternoon is started to piss down, so I put them in the shed under 2 flourescent lights, I have them sat on top of a pair of step ladders perched on a piece of wood so they are close to the lights, tomorrow it looks like it will be cloudy but sunny again.

When I watered them there was no run off because of the small amount of water compared to the soil, so I wont give them a feed until tomorrow or the day after, depending how they look.

Likkle more

Gasmeter 

• 2 weeks later...

Hey guys time for an update on progress, the weather has not been too bad over the past week it has been mainly sunny and cloudy with a few days of rain and showers.

On the days where it has been overcast with rain showers I have put the girls in the shed under two 4 foot long flourescent lights, to ensure they are getting a better quality of light and that stay dry and don't get battered about if it is a bit windy and they both seem to be thriving well, they seem to have enjoyed the past couple of days of sunshine and producing lots of new growth.

I mixed another 2 litres of nutrients and I have upped the amount of feed to 300ml per plant every 2 days, at the moment there is still no run off from the bottom of the pot due to the size of the new pots and the amount of dirt to the volume of water and nutrients, but I can see when I do water and feed them they are soaking up the liquid a bit quicker each time.

Tonite I will use up the last of the 2 litre nutrient mix so in 2 days I will just give them a good drink of water until I see a little run off to flush any nutrients building up lower down in the dirt where the roots have not reached yet.

Here are a couple of photos I took of the girls last night.

Kalashnicova

27june-2016-kalashnicova.jpg

Kalashnicova close up

27june-2016-kalashnicova_close-up.JPG

Passion #1

27june-2016-passion1.jpg

Passion #1 close up

27june-2016-passion1-close-up.jpg

More updates to follow soon.

Likkle more

Gasmeter