Mapito 1st run - Blue Dream

SantaBuds

They just got a bit burn nothing serious, whenever it happense remember that a good flush and go back to regular feeding schedule will soleve most of your problems ;) 

But here i dont think you have some big risks if you are sure it is only due to the bulb beeing to close.

Have a good grow!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Wow, mapito seems to be a good medium for fast growth.

Now I understand the reason why you flip to 12/12 so early in the plant's life.  I would imagine that if the plant were vegged for 30 days or more before flipping to 12/12, that the plants might become too top-heavy in comparison to the stability of the mapito medium that they are standing in, such that they might begin to fall over uncontrollably upon reaching the flowering phase.

I definitely want to try a run of mapito-grown ladies after seeing this.

• Like 1

I am really loving this set-up, and therefore I have lots of questions so that I can fully understand how it is working.  Also to add to my knowledge for use in planning my own version of this set-up:

You said this is a flood-table and that aside from the first few days where drippers were used on the newly introduced clones, the plants are thereafter fed from the bottom (assuming ebb-n-flow).

I am assuming that you are using some sort of timer to control the movement of water and nutrients with pumps.  You mentioned the use of a reservoir. 

1.  Is your reservoir located at a level above, equal or below the flood-table? 

2.  And is it inside or outside the grow area? 

3.  Are you having to perform some sort of extra cooling of the reservoir to keep the water cool?

I see, in one of the earliest photos in this thread, a pump sitting in the floor of the flood-tub. 

4.  Does this mean that you must pump the water out in order to empty the tub? 

5.  Had you considered installing a controllable valve for the outflow of water?, such that the valve would close during feeding (valve-solenoid ON), and then open when feeding is completed (valve-solenoid OFF), thus gravity could return the water to the reservoir (that is, if the reservoir is located below the flood-tub).  (This is a feature that I think I might try to do.)

I would like to see some pics of the feeding set-up.

Thanks, SantaBuds.  Very interesting and informative.

• Like 1

hi brother.. i can answer all your questions... it's really simpler than u think...

On 11/5/2016 at 9:12 AM, Cannabissapean said:

I am really loving this set-up, and therefore I have lots of questions so that I can fully understand how it is working.  Also to add to my knowledge for use in planning my own version of this set-up:

You said this is a flood-table and that aside from the first few days where drippers were used on the newly introduced clones, the plants are thereafter fed from the bottom (assuming ebb-n-flow).

yes.. its really simple flood and drain table... or ebb and flow.... principle of feed is... fill the table up to max 1/3 of your pot size... plants won't drink the whole water.. so you get water back to res...

I am assuming that you are using some sort of timer to control the movement of water and nutrients with pumps.  You mentioned the use of a reservoir. 

1.  Is your reservoir located at a level above, equal or below the flood-table? 

mine is outside tent... same level as the table... i use bilge pump to get water out, from res to table or from table to res... mine is really simple boat bilge pump... something like this:

4334926.jpg

2.  And is it inside or outside the grow area? 

answered above... mine is outside tent..

3.  Are you having to perform some sort of extra cooling of the reservoir to keep the water cool?

no extra cooling on the water.... i couldn't perform on dwc due to water temps...

I see, in one of the earliest photos in this thread, a pump sitting in the floor of the flood-tub. 

4.  Does this mean that you must pump the water out in order to empty the tub? 

yes... :D

5.  Had you considered installing a controllable valve for the outflow of water?, such that the valve would close during feeding (valve-solenoid ON), and then open when feeding is completed (valve-solenoid OFF), thus gravity could return the water to the reservoir (that is, if the reservoir is located below the flood-tub).  (This is a feature that I think I might try to do.)

yes i've thought of that.. but... but it's really simple as it is... if i had a huge room maybe it would be worth the trouble.. i barely do much as it is now... if i had things automated than i wouldn't need to do anything...

with res under table, it's easier to automate.. since you only need to turn pump on and water would use gravity to go back to drain on the same hole it came out... but again if u using a tent and depending on the strain you would loose height... i opt for the other way.. simpler... 

I would like to see some pics of the feeding set-up.

Thanks, SantaBuds.  Very interesting and informative.

i will make some.. whole process doesn't take more than 10 minute when feed is ready... if res is full.. i place pump in the res and turn switch on till 1/3 of crates size... than i take pump out of res, place in table, and do reverse process.. they drink maybe 20L per feeding...

peace, SB.

• Like 1

Thank you very very much for the answers, SantaBuds.  Your journal is very informative.  I am seeing some techniques I've not seen before.

On 29 August (in the first run before the infestation), you had said that you flood the table every third day.  Is that also the same for this 2nd run?  And is that the case still after the girls have reached this size?  Reason I ask:  I had been flooding my plants 3 times a day in my Ton Balls flood-n-drain in accordance with the original guidance from Mr. Green ("I Grow Chronic" on youtube), but I didn't have nearly the growth rate that you have achieved.  (And although I had reported my flood-rate, to my knowledge, no one had ever complained or attempted to correct me.)  Maybe I was flooding too often.

You had also indicated a 10 Liter consumption at each feeding when the plants were smaller, and after the plants became larger, a 20 Liter consumption per feeding.  And that occurring out of an 80 Liter reservoir.  I assume that you are re-using the run-off fluids - Are you re-mixing by adding additional nutrients & water?  And re-measuring and adjusting the EC & pH before each feeding?  And do you ever throw-out the remaining reservoir fluids?

Really stoked by what I am seeing here.

And OMG.  LOL.  Now I see the foil....   hahaha  It is almost invisible...    I couldn't understand what you guys were talking about earlier.  I thought you fellas were talking about some kind of opaque foil to be placed over the mapito to prevent light reaching the mapito to prevent algae, so I was waiting for those photos.  LOL  Then today, suddenly I see the CLEAR plastic foil ABOVE the plants.  ABOVE the plants? - Never seen that before.  Did anyone else also not see that? LOL        Is the purpose of this foil to prevent burn from the lamps?  Or does it have something to do with preventing the infestation? or preventing algae?  I read that you think it might have had a secondary effect of slowing the stretch and broadening the growth of the plants.

Keep up the good work, SantaBuds.

Looking forward to more photos and answers.:party:

• Like 1

On 11/7/2016 at 5:23 AM, Cannabissapean said:

Thank you very very much for the answers, SantaBuds.  Your journal is very informative.  I am seeing some techniques I've not seen before.

On 29 August (in the first run before the infestation), you had said that you flood the table every third day.  Is that also the same for this 2nd run?  And is that the case still after the girls have reached this size?  Reason I ask:  I had been flooding my plants 3 times a day in my Ton Balls flood-n-drain in accordance with the original guidance from Mr. Green ("I Grow Chronic" on youtube), but I didn't have nearly the growth rate that you have achieved.  (And although I had reported my flood-rate, to my knowledge, no one had ever complained or attempted to correct me.)  Maybe I was flooding too often.

hey bro... yes i  still feed it every 3 days.. that's a cake recipe i follow... mapito has the fastest growth rate of any medium...

You had also indicated a 10 Liter consumption at each feeding when the plants were smaller, and after the plants became larger, a 20 Liter consumption per feeding.  And that occurring out of an 80 Liter reservoir.  I assume that you are re-using the run-off fluids - Are you re-mixing by adding additional nutrients & water?  And re-measuring and adjusting the EC & pH before each feeding?  And do you ever throw-out the remaining reservoir fluids?

Really stoked by what I am seeing here.

yes, i found that 80L is too much, specially for the beginning.. now i make 60L res and keep refreshing it when it's like 10 or 20L... for the beginning it's best to prepare only 40L. Plants like fresh res, even tho it's been aerated... so it's cool to be preparing it at least once a week... i also never throw the nute away.. just keep refreshing the res...

And OMG.  LOL.  Now I see the foil....   hahaha  It is almost invisible...    I couldn't understand what you guys were talking about earlier.  I thought you fellas were talking about some kind of opaque foil to be placed over the mapito to prevent light reaching the mapito to prevent algae, so I was waiting for those photos.  LOL  Then today, suddenly I see the CLEAR plastic foil ABOVE the plants.  ABOVE the plants? - Never seen that before.  Did anyone else also not see that? LOL        Is the purpose of this foil to prevent burn from the lamps?  Or does it have something to do with preventing the infestation? or preventing algae?  I read that you think it might have had a secondary effect of slowing the stretch and broadening the growth of the plants.

Keep up the good work, SantaBuds.

Looking forward to more photos and answers.:party:

yeah, i used the foil this time.. i have the impression plants grew much more wide.. i think it was a mistake to bend them... maybe using foil itself would make plants go bit higher and less crowded... its my 2nd run on mapito but this will be my 1st harvest with it... learning also that plant needs mg around 1 1/2 week of 12/12.. maybe could have raised the ec.... 

dunno...

next post i will upload some pics...

peace SB.

well for sure it looks like its snowing in your room hehe, good to see the mapito is doing its job properly! I think the space could have been filled a little bit more maybe to really use all the spare space, but at least now they can grow freely without molesting each other! 

Have a good flowering and thanks for the news ;)

• Like 1

On 11/15/2016 at 1:02 PM, Dust said:

well for sure it looks like its snowing in your room hehe, good to see the mapito is doing its job properly! I think the space could have been filled a little bit more maybe to really use all the spare space, but at least now they can grow freely without molesting each other! 

Have a good flowering and thanks for the news ;)

it's my 1st real run on it dust...1st run i didn't go all the way thru and  i think i haven't done the best job nutrition wise... i needed to act much faster than soil... PF also quite new for me... 1st run with it...  but i'm quite happy with mapito... made the new clones yesterday and i will be ready for next round as soon as i harvest it. :D

next round will have different plant... since i fucked up blue dream mothers and won't have enough clones to fill the tent... but next time i wanna do few things differently regarding space... maybe i won't bend them... or maybe i will top them... lets what i will be able to do.... :D

thanks 

• Like 1

Hey brothers,

8th week almost gone...  expected them to be bigger... i'm not sure where i've gonna wrong with nutrition... i used soft water with pf without suplementing the calcium... i only started supplementing calmag later and i think i've missed the window... already took clones for next round... in 4 days they gonna be probably rooted and i will start pre veg... next round i change the strain also.... 

IMG_6772.jpgIMG_6774.jpgIMG_6776.jpgIMG_6778.jpg

that's it for now.... 

Peace, SB.

• Like 1

I see what you mean SantaBuds.

If you have been intensifying the nutrients, then I would say, "Back off from all nutes, and flush.  Let it run with just water for a week, then read the plants again.  At that time, remove all the yellowed fan leaves.  If you return to feeding, then only 1/4 strength the manufacturer's dosage.  If that shows no further weight gain after another week, then flush and then harvest in another two weeks time.  You still have bud to save and harvest...

What does the seed supplier for Blue Dream say?  Is it normal for Blue Dream to give-up like this?

• 2 weeks later...

hey guys... about to chop plants...

they didn't end like i expected... fucked up on nutrition at some point and maybe they need couple extra days of veg.... waiting for clones to root before i can start new round...

here last pics before i do chop em..

IMG_6795.jpgIMG_6797.jpgIMG_6801.jpg

Peace, SB.

• Like 2

Hey buddy interesting grow with the mapito.

I grew some blue dream and was very disappointed. No blue or purple color. The plant grew fine but started cannibalizing itself about a 2 weeks before it was ready. Ended up having to harvest early and cut out yellow leaves that made the buds look bad. Maybe it's more bad or unstable genetics rather than a nutrient problem. Mine was a humbolt seed organization blue dream that I will never grow again.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the news man, sorry it didnt reach what you expected but it was the first run and next one will only be better with the experience ;) Nutrient is something easy once you get the hand on how your system work, each places in the world will be diferent for this no guide will tell you how to do it perfectly but with experience you will know your space :)

Have a good grow

• Like 1