Super lemon haze DWC LED grow

Chris97223

Here is my current grow of super lemon haze. The plant went though 4/5 weeks of 24/0 veg under t5 lighting and Ive switched to a 600w phytomax black dog led for flower.  Im using dutch master gold nutrients with botanicare hydroguard instead of the dutch master zone. Zone works ok but it doesn't stop bad bacteria just slows its growth. Ive had no problems with root rot or mold since switching to hydroguard.  Here is the plant at the start of 12/12.

1p2.jpg

• Like 3

Here is some info on my setup.

Grow area is a 4x4 gorilla grow tent with extension to make it about 8 feet tall.

4 inch exhaust fan with can filter. I use a 6 inch dust shroom on my intake to keep dust out. Works great but annoying to clean and re oil.

1 6 inch clip on fan inside to circulate air around the plant.

The DWC unit is called a Root spa. It has a single port air pump that is connected to the blue water level tube. It pushes air through the bottom creating bubbles and circulating the water. There is no air stone which I like because they can be a pain to use clean and replace. I was worried this wouldn't create enough dissolved oxygen in the water but so far so good the root mass is huge and its currently drinking about 3 liters of nutrient solution per day. I added a drain to the bucket (purple shut off valve in picture) to make nutrient changes easier. I was pulling the plant out and placing it in another bucket so i could just dump the bucket but soon it's size wont allow that and it will be impossible to do after the buds are in a net or tied to keep from falling over.

I put 15 liters in the bucket to fill it to the bottom of the net pot. To the 15 liters I add 45ml DM gold add.27 flower. 30 ml each DM gold A&B  flower. 5 ml DM silica. I then correct the ph as close to 5.8 as i can then add 8ml of botanicare hydroguard. The flower nutrients lower the ph as time goes by so ive been adding my tap water which is around 6.5 without any ph up to keep it from going to low between changes. I would put more effort into keeping the ph perfect but my ph pen went bad so im using the cheap GH ph kit with drops at the moment.

Grow update. My plant is drinking 7 liters a day and the leaves are starting to hit the sides of my 4x4 (121x121 centimeters)  grow tent. So far only a couple leaves have started to wilt because they are covered by upper growth. I'm seeing a-lot of flowering towards the bottom which I know will turn into fluffy popcorn buds that are only useful for making bubble hash. I usually just leave this because I fear stressing the plant and making it turn hermaphrodite. Its way to big to spot male flowers before they cause problems. I would like to ask the experts there opinion. Should I cut the lower flowers to increase energy to the upper growth or would it be a waste because of the healing time and stress  it would put on the plant? I never thought the plant could drink so much at just 3 weeks into flower I am worried about what will happen in week 7,8, and 9 when it might be drinking almost all the nutrient solution since from what I know about hydroponics the plant isn't absorbing all the nutrients with the water meaning if it drinks 10+ liters of the 15  the leftover nutrient solution might have a high ec and ph will be out of control.

Looking great man! Now this is some perfect looking plant ;) You treated her really good and she will give it back to you for sure! And this one is a strecthy  lady so you did good flipping "early" Looking forward to see some nice long nugs in here ;) 

I really like the full pure blend pro line from botanicare if you hesitate on switching i really liked it personally ;) Powderfeeding is also doing some amazing job in Hydro systems.

Have a good grow and keep us updated!

Well normally with SLH it is hard to get mold problem, i dont remember seeing a lot of grows having this problem at least. Not even with super big buds, its probably due to the few sativa traits it has on the bud shape that is not propice to mold development luckily for us ;) 

Have a good grow!

Day 35 of flower.

I have never seen mold on a SLH plant either but the leaves I removed were creating and holding condensation. My led lights put out less radiant heat and are kept 20 inchs (50 centimeters) from the top of the plant so the plant doesn't get that hot summer day like dry heat with the lights like they would with hps.

I haven't seen the roots since week 2 of flower because it's so big and I don't want to damage the roots. I'm very curious as to whats going on in there. The water I drain out when changing the solution is clear with a slightly strange smell that I think comes from all the beneficial bacteria so im not worried about root rot. Ive been alternating between hydroguard and subcultre b when I change out the nutrient solution.

I got a picture of the same bud from the day 28 pictures to show the change better.

w4-2.jpg

w4-1.jpg

w4-3.jpg

w4-4.jpg

• Like 3

Day 42 of flower.
 The side buds are starting to sag so I had to put up some netting and use ties to hold them up and keep them off the sides of the tent. Not sure if I will go 9 or 10 weeks. Anyone ever flower SLH  10+ weeks and notice a difference in the high? Most of the leaves have red stems and some are turning a light color. Not sure if its a nutrient deficiency. Thanks for the comments Dust

w5-1.jpg

w5-2.jpg

w5-3.jpg

w5-4.jpg

• Like 5

Thanks for the comment Sal Ive flushed for the last few days then im gonna try a increase in my flowering nutrients and see how it responds. I feed stronger nutrient levels when I grow in coco so I don't think it will have a negative effect. I really lucked out on timing the flower switch this thing barely fits in my tent.

Thanks jhumbert I was confused after watching the GHS grow video where they state 10-12 weeks at the start. They seemed to suggest you would get better flavor and resin content at 12 weeks but then they harvested at 9 weeks saying it was possible to harvest early in optimal conditions.

Chris,

You asked some good questions.

Whether to lollypop or not - Hmm, I've heard arguements for- and against-.  Mostly, what I do is I remove anything that turns brown.  I allow any yellow leaves to remain until the first touch of brown appears on them.  Principally, the plant tells me what to remove.  This usually results in bared lower branches with stretched tips that do, as you said, produce little popcorn buds (personally, I like popcorn buds).

As the plant enters flowering, I continue same as above, but then I perform a clean-up trimming, where I seek to remove leaves from the lower central region of the plant that are hopelessly shaded by the canopy of the same plant.  Those shaded leaves often also show signs of weakness due to the shading or earlier weakend times of the plant.  My thinking is that such leaves have become a burden to the plant.  Lacking lumens, they cannot contribute appreciably to the growth of the plant or to the flower/seed development; they consume more energy and nutrients in order to survive than they contribute back to the plant. I hope this means that the plant can better concentrate its resources to the upper areas after those shaded, miniaturized, mutanted lower central leaves are removed.

Around the final flush, another clean-up.  If it looks as though it would be a relief to the plant, remove it.

If I find that I must be away for a longer time, I might do a bit more aggressive clean-up in order to avoid a more difficult clean-up upon my return.

Your plant looks great.  By the way, I saw similar holes in my grow once.  During flowering expansion, came suddenly caterpillars.  Wasn't fun.

There could have been scheduling pressures that forced an early harvest.

Day 49 of flower.  Thanks for the comment Cannabissapean.

Flowers are filling in nicely. The light is giving even growth with the buds under the light being the same size as the ones on the outside. The biggest bud is in the back near the side of the tent not directly under the light. Haven't trimmed any leaves lately just pulling out the dead and about to fall off leaves. Started changing res every other day to keep nutrient levels up without feeding a higher strength. The plant is drinking about half of the 15 liters or more every day. Hard to know the exact amount with the roots displacing water as they grow.  Haven't seen the roots in 5 weeks now but no bad signs in the water I drain out during res change.

w6-2.jpg

w6-3.jpg

w6-1.jpg

w6-4.jpg

w6-5.jpg

• Like 5

Nice improvment once again man looking thicker for sure :)

I would say you can start to take away some of the oldest leaves that are really blocking the air and light a bit, more to avoid humid spot tham alowing light to enter. passed 4 or 5 week of flowering i often get rid of all the leaves that are not in buds, most of the older fan leaves, looks cleaner and easier to control, i like it haha ;) 

Have a good grow man shouldnt be too long till the end, and about the 10 week keep in mind that the weeks are not important what you need to look carefully is your plant, once the trichome are ambered remember that you are starting to loose THC everyday so the effect will not get any higher, if you want a higher effect and not too couchlock you need to harvest earlier, but not too early neither ;) I refer more to the white hair growth, once they stop producing new white hairs and start ambering is when i like to harvest.

Cheers

• Like 1

Day 56 of flower

Thanks Dust I usually cut it down when all trichs are cloudy with about 20% amber. I don't like couchlock or being tired soon after smoking. Ill check at week 9 and go from there. The hairs on the lower part are actually mostly dark which is strange to me usually they are the last to show signs of being mature. Smell is strong I will change my filter after this grow for sure. Took a picture of the biggest bud with a normal sized bic lighter to show scale.

w8-1.jpg

w8-2.jpg

w8-3.jpg

w8-4.jpg

w8-5.jpg

• Like 2

The fallen......

First troubles Ive had on this grow. Buds on the edge of the plant that aren't tall enough to be in the netting are falling down from there weight. One ended up pinching itself but doesn't show signs of dieing off so far. One picture shows the pinch and the other shows the bud after tieing it off to the netting.

b1.jpg

b2.jpg

• Like 2

Day 60 of flower. Flush time.

I will start the flushing process today draining the res and replacing it with just water and add.27 initially then I will only add water. At the very least I will flush for 4 days maybe more since the plant looks very healthy and seems to have a-lot of stored up nutrients. The trichs look cloudy to me with almost no amber so far. This is my first dwc and I think because it doesn't have dry periods the hairs aren't turning dark as fast. The calyxes have been swelling and shooting out for a few days which is the usual sign for me the plant is almost ready.

• Like 1

Day 63 Merry Christmas everyone hope your safe and happy :)

The plant has been given nothing but water for 2 days now with no signs of nutrient deficiency so far.  The fallen branch that got pinched is alive and healthy :). The injured leaf in the bud picture is from moving the netting.

w9-1.jpg

w9-2.jpg

w9-3.jpg

w9-4.jpg

• Like 2

haha for sure thats a nice root ball! Congratz on the harvest man and thanks for the photos all the way. The buds were looking super nice and nicely formed with nice resin, i might would have let it mature a bit more but its only a matter of taste ;) So i hope you will have a good smoke with this, but SLH doesnt fail usually ;)

See you on the next grow and with the dry buds photo :P

• Like 1