Super lemon haze DWC LED grow

Chris97223

Chris,

I must say, whatever you are doing to achieve a rootball and beautiful plant like that, you are doing it perfectly.

I wish I could install sensors throughout your setup and record the data (pH, temps, EC, feeding, lighting, humidity, a complete work-up) using a data-logger set on hourly recordings.  What are you using to automate this?  It looks as though you are using only a set of timers, and you are mixing and timing your feedings and performing water adjustments all manually by feel.  If so, then you have your regimen down pat.

You have learned the craft very well.  I am highly impressed.

Thanks everyone for the positive comments I am really happy with this considering it's my first DWC grow. The plant size turned out perfect for my tent.

I didn't use a TDS/EC meter but according to the nutrient calculator on the dutch master website it should have been around 1.6-1.8 EC.

I didn't spend much time monitoring PH in the res just checked it 2 or 2 times and went off past experience. I always checked the PH of what I added and adjusted to what I thought the plant had absorbed. At res change I would always make it perfect at 5.8 and then add water with a PH around 5.5 between res changes because the flower formula I used would make the PH high. After a few weeks of flower I was changing the res every 3 days because the bucket only held about 15 liters. I have used dutch master nutrients for a few years and have a good feel of how much PH up or down to use so I can't give any advice on PH besides pick a good nutrient and stick with it till you understand the PH fluctuations you get from it. Everything was hand fed with no outside res because the bucket was not big enough for a float valve to slowly refill as needed.

Temps were kept around 21 Celsius with DWC temps are very important because the water temperature has a big effect on dissolved oxygen levels in the res. The lack of airstone had me worried for awhile but the rootspa system (look up rootspa on youtube to see)  worked great. I think airstones puts more work on the air pumps making them run hotter which in turn makes the air pushed in warmer and less able to hold dissolved oxygen. I think if I had 3 airstones it would have less dissolved oxygen because of the heat produced by the air pumps.  Humidity stayed around 40-50 percent.

The timer on my light is the only automated part of the grow. 24/0 veg 12/12 flower no slow progression and no extra 48 hour dark cycle at the end.

Im sure it could have gone 2 more weeks but I prefer the mental high above the physical high which for me turns into being tired if I smoke early in the day.

Now the bad news..... I found mold. Not much but I did lose about a 1/4 oz of top buds. The mold was on the inside where the bud was growing against the stem.

I cut and hang upside down single steams well spaced and with a small fan on low moving the air around which usually makes them dry on the outside in a few days then I put them in a container to allow the moisture inside to come out and then I place them on paper or cardboard on the bottom of the tent till the outside feels dry then back in the container till moist again. I keep doing this till the plant doesn't feel moist after being in a sealed container for 24+ hours. This has always worked perfectly for me in the past making the final bud not to dry or wet and a very clean taste. I think the problem is I usually grow with coco and when I do I harvest when the coco is dry. With the DWC  system I didn't drain it and let it dry out because I wanted to keep the roots healthy so I could see what they looked like.

Here is a picture of the mold. I will post bud pics when drying is done. I will be doing a new grow after with more detail.

PS it stinks so good in my grow room lol.mold1.jpg

• Like 2

Absolutely amazing that you did that basically by feel.

Not just your thumbs, but your whole body is green...

Thanks for the great explanation. 

I have a feeling there wiil be some more members here

interested in studying that equipment and nutrients you used, so leave those references in...

• Like 1

Finished drying a few days ago and Ive already given away 3 oz's. Everyone loved it. The taste is great and the smell is very strong buds were dense. Great high with no feeling of being tired or couch locked. I did find more mold on the biggest buds and lost about 2 oz's :(. The molded areas were small maybe the size of a q tip but I didn't take any chances.

Not sure what the total weight was because of the mold but the weight of the good buds that were dense and mature was about 13 oz's not including the moldy buds.

As of now I have just under 10ozs left which is the legal limit here.  I had a ton of fluffy popcorn buds about 8 oz's  I had a friend make bubble with.

The picture shows the 10 oz I have left.

Thanks to everyone who followed along and commented :). I will post my next grow with more details.

h1.jpg

h2.jpg

h3.jpg

h4.jpg

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...