First Journal - Coma Kush, BCGB, Quarter Pounder

Cropsicle

This is a journal for 3 separate strains that I started at the same time. This is as stated my first journal and I should include my first crop in 20 yrs. I took a break for awhile but decided to start growing again. Times have changed and its much easier to do now.  The strains this journal will be focused on will be BC God Bud regular, Coma Kush Elite Strain Feminized, and Quarter Pounder auto/fem. 

They will be Indexed as such

BC God Bud - BCGB-1 , BCGB-2   (2 plants)

Coma Kush Elite Strain Feminized - CK-1 , CK-2 , CK-3   (3 plants)

Quarter Pounder Auto/Fem - QP-1

I thought I would give you a run down of the room I am growing in. I consider it an ever changing thing, always trying to improve it. I currently have 4 DWC tanks with 2 slots each in them. Each chained together with downhill flow to the reservoir. My nutrient delivery line runs through my return line which is twice the size. The delivery line splits inside the tanks, comes out the top of the lid, reduces and splits again to each plant. Feeding is on a timer to feed 5 different times a day for 1/2 an hour at each interval. I have 2 air stones in the reservoir and 1 stone in each of the four tanks. There is 1 pump delivering nutrients to the plants and I have an additional pump to keep a turbulent circulation in the reservoir. You will see a few older plants in the set up they will not be included in the journal. the 2 larger ones I posted pictures of in the "other picture and video" section if you would like to see them closer. I'll post pictures of the strains in this journal after the room pictures.

dwc-airpump.jpg

dwc-chain-return.jpg

dwc-inside-1.jpg

dwc-inside-2.jpg

feedlines.jpg

reservoir.jpg

reservoir-inside.jpg

tables.jpg

• Like 2

I will keep this pretty simple at first. I started my seeds in a bowl of RO water for the first 12 hours, I folded 2 full paper towels together twice, then poured my contents of the bowl onto the towel and did a tri-fold to close them in. After 3 day from seed I had 18-25mm roots. I put them into peat pellets that soaked in RO water, and placed them in a domed tray for another day and a half untill they sprouted and shed there seed shells. I put them into their spots the next day. I have posted 1 picture of the seedlings from each strain I will get more detailed with each plant as this progresses.

BCGB-papertowel-germination.jpg

BCGB-10day-seedling.jpg

Comakush-10day-seedling.jpg

QuarterPounder-2week-Seedling.jpg

W1-roomstats.jpg

• Like 3

Very nice start to your journal

and WOW, detailed description

I must say, I have never heard of someone running the feeding tube right through the return hose. Unique!  Where did you learn that, and is there an advantage to that?

Your setup is an ever-changing thing, thats not bad.  Improvement cannot occur without change.

BC God Bud regular, Coma Kush Elite Strain Feminized, and Quarter Pounder auto/fem.  These sound Canadian or American.  Who are the seedbanks for these, please?

Looks like some good things about to happen in here. 

Thanks Cannabissapean, the feed line through the return line I learned way back when i first started to grow. At that time, there were no black feed lines only black return lines. so your feed lines were clear and bad for building up algae. We decided to feed them through the system to stop the algae growth. It also served to keep things neat and tidy as well as reduce any feed line leaks you may encounter, it would just leak back into the drain flow.

The strains did come from a Canadian source. True North Seed Bank is a multi seed vendor seed bank. its where I plan on getting my GHS SSH and SLH cause I might have problems getting directly from GHS. They give free seeds with every purchase. The quarter pounder was one of the free seed I got, but I will say the seeds I paid for had 100% germination while the free seeds only had a nominal germination rate.

• Like 1

Thanks for sharing your journal with us man! Hope the 3 strains will turn out good for you. And for GHS in Canada, last time i asked i think they had some oficial distributors there but that they could not send it themselves. https://shop.greenhouseseeds.nl/canada-en.html Here you have the list of distirbutors but i dont know if it is updated reguraly.

Have a good grow with your ladies i will stay around to see how it turns ;)

• Like 1

Update

Everything seems to be going well so far. All the little ones are progressing at a good rate.  My pH seems to go up 0.2-0.25 base points on a daily basis. Ive been staying on it everyday to keep it between 5.8-6.0. I changed the nutrient solution today, the end of week 2. Here are the room conditions for the last week.

room-conditions.jpg

The BC God Bud seem to have the fattest fingers. Quite wide even at the tip.

BCGB-1

BCgodbud-BCGB1-plant-stats.jpg

BCgodbud-BCGB1-2weeks.jpg

Now BCGB-2

BCgodbud-BCGB2-plant-stats.jpg

BCgodbud-BCGB2-2weeks.jpg

Coma Kush - all 3 seem to have a slightly different appearance to them. The third one being the most dramatic, looks umbrella like, yet I don't think its sick. It looked like that right out of the gate and stretched an unusual amount compared to the rest under the same conditions. I will monitor it, to see what happens. I'm not sure what the "Elite" part of the name means, but I think it refers to the pheno's you typically see in an F1. I assume that's what this is. So I hope I get some good ones.

CK-1

Comakush-CK1-plant-stats.jpg

Comakush-CK1-2weeks.jpg

CK-2 - first couple leaves look slightly deformed. Could be just stabilizing. We'll see how it goes.

Comakush-CK2-plant-stats.jpg

Comakush-CK2-2weeks.jpg

CK-3 - Here is the Umbrella tree. the largest of the Coma Kush.

Comakush-CK3-plant-stats.jpg

Comakush-CK3-2weeks.jpg

On to the Quarter Pounder auto

QP-1 - Seems to be doing great. its picked up the pace in growth. This little lady is about week ahead of her rivals. Although she is 3 weeks old I only have the last 2 accounted for in my logs.

Quarter Pounder-QP1-plant-stats.jpg

Quarter Pounder-3week.jpg

So far, so good. Sorry about the color correction,  I did it manually, so it might be out a bit.

• Like 1

@Dust Thanks for the Links to Canadian GHS distributors. I appreciate it man.

I'd like to also thank anyone that is following this journal, the interest is also appreciated.

So lets get started with week 3.

I have a correction to make from last week. My individual plant stats spreadsheets have an improper value in the "Stem Width" column. I have a misplaced decimal, They should all be one placement left. I have corrected them since and will show correctly from here on.

The Ladies have been working hard this week. They seem to be doing alright, although I think I'm seeing the start of a Potassium excess. So I'm going to do a flush for week four. Here are the room conditions for week three.

room-conditions.jpg

BCGB-1

BCgodbud-BCGB1-plant-stats.jpgBCgodbud-BCGB1-3weeks.jpg

BCGB-2

BCgodbud-BCGB2-plant-stats.jpgBCgodbud-BCGB2-3weeks.jpg

Coma Kush - I still suspect these are F1 seeds. They have fairly vigorous growth and one of them has a slightly different appearance. They seem to be expressing the Hawaiian leaf shape. It looks very similar to one a grew in the 90's.

CK-1

Comakush-CK1-plant-stats.jpgComakush-CK1-3weeks.jpg

CK-2

Comakush-CK2-plant-stats.jpgComakush-CK2-3weeks.jpg

CK-3

Comakush-CK3-plant-stats.jpgComakush-CK3-3weeks.jpg

QP-1 In the fourth week for this one and doing well.

Quarter Pounder-QP1-plant-stats.jpgQuarter Pounder-4week.jpg

• Like 2

Week 4 Update

It's been an up and down week. I mentioned last week that I might have a Potassium excess. I'm still not sure if that was the real issue or not but I flushed for five days and noticed the lower primaries experiencing interveinal chlorosis. The centers were greening up so I fed them some cal-mag for the last 2 days of the week. They seem to be recovering. I'll know better next week if they are past the problem. The BC God Bud as noted by the producer, it can be difficult the first time you grow it. They did seem to stall a little this last week but are greening up now.

room conditions.jpg

CK-1 looks a little mutant compared to the others.

Comakush-CK1-plant-stats.jpgComakush-CK1-4weeks.jpg

CK-2

Comakush-CK2-plant-stats.jpgComakush-CK2-4weeks.jpg

CK-3

Comakush-CK3-plant-stats.jpgComakush-CK3-4weeks.jpg

BCGB-1 You can tell these have Hawaiian in them, very rounded overlapping indica. You can see the interveinal chlorosis on the bottom in this pic. They also seem to have a very rubbery texture to the leaves

BCgodbud-BCGB1-plant-stats.jpgBCgodbud-BCGB1-4weeks.jpg

BCGB-2

BCgodbud-BCGB2-plant-stats.jpgBCgodbud-BCGB2-4weeks.jpg

QP-1

Quarter Pounder-QP1-plant-stats.jpgQuarter Pounder-5week.jpg

Thats it for this week. take care everyone.

• Like 1

Cropsicle, sorry, but I am scratching my head on this one.  Your girls are definitely having a problem and I dont know how to help.  I think you may have multiple problems going on here.

Maybe you could open a Topic over in "Weed Infirmary", write a very detailed request for help, post a link to this thread to bring the readers in here. 

Hopefully you can attract the attention of some experts in here.

In addition, I suggest that you send a message to each of these fellows asking them to come in here and help:  Jan.gh, Jankahar, Nordic Grower, HC01, Mykol76.  If you studied a bunch of the topics in Weed Infirmary, you might discover some other members who might be experts as well.

Click into Messages, click on "Compose", write their names, each name followed by a comma (,) to activate the name, then write your plea for help and give them a link to this thread as well.

You might could also ask the other Moderators, Dust and Jose.gh if they could help or if they could suggest who might be an expert available to help.

I think your girls are not in imminent danger of dieing, but I definitely detect lots of stress, and if this doesn't get corrected, it wont be good and your quality will suffer.  I dont want you to lose these girls.  After asking for their help, be prepared to answer a lot of questions.

After raising your flags for help, while you are waiting for the cavalry to arrive, you can google-up some articles with diagnosis pictures and corrective actions.  "cannabis diseases"       "cannabis deficiencies"    etc. 

When you find a good one, print it out in color and add that to your grow library for future reference.

It would also help us to better diagnose the health of the plants if your future pictures were taken with the LEDs turned off and using a more natural light.

Thanks for the news man really nice infos and details. how far are your plants from the lights? Maybe it would benefit to you on the first 2 weeks of life to use some kind of T5 neon or something similar to allow the plant to have a good initial growth and stretch and then reduce the internoedal distance from week 3 with the LED, plants eat diferently as well with LED so it might get the start a little bit easier to handle ;) 

For the problem on your plants it does look like another member before like Cal/mag problems, if you are using RO water or really soft mountain/rain water make sure to give every week or 2 week a bit of calmag depending on waht nutes you use. Hydro is tricky for this you dont have much room for mistakes :rabbi:

Have a good grow man and good luck !

• Like 1

Thank you all for your input. I think your right Dust, my cal-mag was deficient. I kinda suspected that to start since my EC from the beginning hasn't gone above 0.6. I usually keep it low to start cause it's always easy to give it more than to try and correct an overage. My lights were approx. 35cm from the tops, Ive since moved them to 70. The interveinal chlorosis is unmistakable. the veins in the leaf stay green while the tissue between is affected by the migration of magnesium. magnesium is highly mobile, so a deficiency takes mag from the lower foliage and sends it to the top where its needed.

Sorry I couldn't reply sooner Ive been sick all week with a bug.

take care everyone and see you on the next update. hopefully things will look a little better.

• Like 2

Nice work man,

but FLUSH this plants, maybe a couple of days only water, a proper ph, it could take away excess salts from the plant.

and working with a lower EC.

I'm no hydroponic grower, but I think this is the right way.

good luck, keep us updated.

Fantastic! thank you all for your input and joining in.

@Mykol76 Thanks man, I did flush for a couple days and then gave them a feeding of Cal-Mag and some Micro.

@Afghi420  The BC God Bud is a mostly Indica 75/25 a mix of God x Hawaiian x Purple Skunk. The (God) is a Canadian developed strain from what I understand. Finish about 36-45cm tall. Small but sticky and upwards of 25% thc.

@Cannabissapean I did manage to find a great chart a while back that I downloaded and has been very helpful in seeing deficiencies and excesses. This is a HQ photo if anyone else would like a copy.

marijuana-deficiency-chart-jorge-cervantes.jpg

Alrighty, On with Week 5

The Ladies have responded well. After flushing and Feeding them CalMag, they have ballooned up nicely and got some color back.

Here are the Room Conditions for Week Five

room conditions.jpg

The Quarter Pounder auto has started to show signs of flowering.

Quarter Pounder-QP1-plant-stats.jpgQuarter Pounder-6week.jpg

All 3 Coma Kush came back well, Although CK-1 still looks a bit mutant as it always has. Perhaps it's an odd phenotype as I suspect these are F1 seeds and there could be many expressions going on.

Comakush-CK1-plant-stats.jpgComakush-CK1-5weeks.jpg

Comakush-CK2-plant-stats.jpgComakush-CK2-5weeks.jpg

Comakush-CK3-plant-stats.jpgComakush-CK3-5weeks.jpg

The BC God Bud have broke free of their stall, and have their leaves outward now. They are still quite small but they are only suppose to get to around 36cm tall.

BCgodbud-BCGB1-plant-stats.jpgBCgodbud-BCGB1-5weeks.jpg

BCgodbud-BCGB2-plant-stats.jpgBCgodbud-BCGB2-5weeks.jpg

This next week I am putting them into flower. I would like to wait a little longer for the BC God Bud to catch up a bit more, but the other 6 plants in the room can't wait. These should turn out for their expected size. If not, noted for next time.

That's it for this week folks, I thank you all for tuning in and hope for your return.

take care, bless

• Like 3

Ahhh......   Yessss........     now we have forward progress...

A breath of fresh air...   Hmhhhhh, Haaaaaa.     You deserve a pat on the back.

Yes that is a nice chart.  (right-click, save-under, stores it on one's own computer.  But to get it in full size, one needs to find it in the original web-page and save from there.)

Cropsicle,

Your plants have made an improvement since the earlier photos.

However, I see what superblue john is saying.  In fact, I see something else happening.

Whereas the QuarterPounder looks great, the ComaKush shows clawing, a sign of excessive Nitrogen, and the BC God Bud shows wrinkly twisted leaves, possibly a sign of excessive water.  If you are using the same reservoir mixture for all three strains, that could be the source for this problem.

It is an easy mistake to make, but different strains many times react differently under identical conditions. 

Autos grow differently than Sativas, Sativas differently than Indicas, Indica/Sativa/Autos differently than some highly developed Hybrids, some landraces have their specific requirements.

Long-flowering plants are different than Short-flowering, etc.

GreenHouse has researched this over the past years and has developed Powder-feeding specifically designed for these differences.  In the grow session videos, Arjan and Franco sometimes give tips for special conditions that some strains like in particular.

• Like 1